BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

NOLIMITS NoPhoto

09-26-2016, 04:58 AM   #1
ThatWhiteM3
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92

HELP!!! Oil Pan!

Hello everyone!

So today I did my brake flush and after completion decided to do a test drive. So I took it for a spin and when I got back noticed oil under the car. I ended up taking belly pan and oil pan is full of oil. Looks like it needs to be replaced. My question is does anybody have a DIY on how to take it down, because it seems complicated due to 4 bolts that hold the flywheel and axle support. Please help any information will be helpful!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 05:55 AM   #2
roastbeef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

It's a big job. What how is it damaged? Looks like a typo or autocorrect didn't spell out what you were trying to say.
      09-27-2016, 06:23 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

First few steps of rod bearing DIY. Search and you will find out what you need. It will take you a day or most of one but its doable.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
rocket_science
424 ASP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3 ZCP

Aside from a typical set of sockets and wrenches, you need to posses a couple shop tools...
- Jack, Jack Stands, Engine support bar (Harbor Freight).

I have a lift in my garage and did my rod bearings but the process is much the same. It wasn't bad at all. Take your time. One bolt at at a time it all comes apart and goes back together.
If you do in fact do this, absolutely do your rod bearing at the same time FOR SURE.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
Patrón
4th ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS 625 DCT

have you checked if it's the oil measurement sensor in the middle? there is an o-ring there that can leak. the whole sensor is less than $300 or some have replace the oring. i'd start there unless you've already identified the damaged area.
      09-27-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
ThatWhiteM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
It's a big job. What how is it damaged? Looks like a typo or autocorrect didn't spell out what you were trying to say.
I don't have enough tools to do a complete lift and get a good look at it. I jacked left side got underneath the car and took off the belly pan along with metal plate underneath the engine. That metal plate was full of oil. I got under the car and noticed lots of oil around oil pan. I couldn't detect the leaking point for sure because steering rack and axle support bar is on the way but from what I saw it looks like its rather a cracked oil pan or leaking oil pan gasket.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #7
ThatWhiteM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
First few steps of rod bearing DIY. Search and you will find out what you need. It will take you a day or most of one but its doable.
Thanks and yeah that's what I thought, about one solid day of work
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
ThatWhiteM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_science View Post
Aside from a typical set of sockets and wrenches, you need to posses a couple shop tools...
- Jack, Jack Stands, Engine support bar (Harbor Freight).

I have a lift in my garage and did my rod bearings but the process is much the same. It wasn't bad at all. Take your time. One bolt at at a time it all comes apart and goes back together.
If you do in fact do this, absolutely do your rod bearing at the same time FOR SURE.
I agree, might as well.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:38 PM   #9
admranger
Major
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2011 M3, 2016 X5 40e

Any chance the leak is really just the result of a careless oil change(s)? I'd hate for you to have to do a ton of work when it was something else.

Whenever I've had a leak, the first thing I do is clean everything up and then keep a close watch to see exactly where the leak is coming from.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 04:38 AM   #10
pbonsalb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Or a valve cover or the oil cap If so the side or front of the block would be stained.
Appreciate 0