BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

Good info on suspension setup

I was looking for a good education read as I took a brake at work, and I stumbled upon this awesome series on suspension.

Hopefully this is not a re-post, and if it is, I apologize.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...Toe-Steer.aspx

Although Ross Bentley did an amazing job simplifying the understanding of how suspension works, but this article does an equally impressive task in giving a different perspective and more direct info on how to utilize that information.

Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did. Now time to get my a?? Back to work?

Last edited by Triple M; 01-03-2015 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Interesting article. Reading stuff like this makes me realize how well designed BMWs are. I think the part about the semi-trailing arm rear setup pre-E9X 3 series was interesting.

Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Interesting article. Reading stuff like this makes me realize how well designed BMWs are. I think the part about the semi-trailing arm rear setup pre-E9X 3 series was interesting.

I thought its a great article for people who already adjust their own suspension like you do, and also for guys like myself who are still playing around the settings and still trying to learn quite.
I just enjoyed how well they simplified so many facts

Last edited by Triple M; 01-04-2015 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
z3papa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i, 02 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
That article is dead spot on. My Z3 is front half E36/rear half E30 and it took a substantial amount of counter engineering using AST 4200, ultra high spring rates, and what not to make the car predictable and without snap oversteer. Even then, if you didn't have your pre-planned counter defensive maneuver (sometimes several) planned, it could bite you in the butt.
      01-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M View Post
I thought its a great article for people who already adjust their own suspension like you do, and also for guys like myself who are still playing around the settings and still trying to learn quite.
I just enjoyed how well they simplified so many facts
The biggest difference that the article highlighted was the toe steer with the semi rear trailing arm. In my E46, I run about twice as much toe in at the rear than my E90. This is due to the toe steer effect (rear tires toeing out) when the rear end squats...which causes the back end to wag the dog.

One of the differences I noticed between the E9X and E46 is that its much harder to counter oversteer in my E46 than my E90. In my E90, the rear tires toe in under squat so it makes the car want to straighten up. If you compress the rear on the alignment rack, you'll see the toe change.

When I drive my E90 on the track, I'm far more aggressive with the throttle and throttle steer and slide the car a lot more than my E46 partly because the E90 is heavier and more powerful. But it is far easier to accurately orient the car down track with throttle in the E90 and you can overcome the weight in most corners. This is when the car starts to really shine and is truly fast. Only issue will be in any quick transition leading onto a long straight because I haven't figured out a way other than just slowing the car down.

This is all on an OEM non-EDC suspension (Dinan stage II w/ camber plates). If I had a stiffer sprung coilover suspension and aero, I'd reduce the sliding and throttle steering.

Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0