BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Race Precision Motorsport

04-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3

Planned Detail for my M3 in the next couple weeks

So I decided to go all out and purchase everything needed to detail my M3. I am a do it myself kind of guy and figure I could spend a good day with my car detailing it.

Here is my plan, let me know what you think of what I have planned for a Semi Annual Full Detail.

PC 7424 XP
Chemical Guys Hex Logic 5.5 Pads (I have every color so if I should use a different one, let me know)
Menzerna PO203
Menzerna PO85RD
Chemical Guys Vertua Bond 408
JetSeal 109
5050 Limited Series Concours Paste Wax

1. Wash Car
2. Clay bar Car
3. Tape trim areas on the Car
4. Polish trouble spots on car with Menzerna PO203 (Orange Pad)
5. Polish entire car with Menzerna PO85RD (Green Pad)
6. Apply to entire car Vertua Bond 408 (White Pad)
7. Apply to entire car JETseal109 (Black Pad)
8. Apply 5050 Concours Paste Wax to entire car (Red Pad or by Hand)
9. Quick Detail any spots as necessary

Any advice would be appreciated
      04-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned

Drives: beater;)

Congrat's on having the good will to tackle detailing yourself - your hard work and research will bring you a lot of joy when you see the potential your car has been hiding.

That being said... I'd recommend at least one extra product in your line up: Menzerna 106ff/fa. Use this in the place of 85RD as 106 has slightly more cut and while it might not finish down with the exact same clarity as 85RD, it will finish down "LSP ready."

203 CAN be used on an orange pad, but I'd recommend trying it on a white pad first. This will likely give you enough correction, but if not, you can always step it up to a more aggressive pad.
Follow this step with 106 on a black pad

If you choose to use VertuaBond and JetSeal with a machine, use each with a blue pad on a slower speed (3.5 should do fine). These products aren't made to correct paint, but rather to be gently applied. They work for a specific purpose - one that IS NOT about grinding them against paint. By applying them with a machine, you can apply a much thinner layer of each (thinner=better) in a much more uniform fashion. You're looking to gently glide them across your already corrected paint, not work them into the finish.

The 'nuba wax should be applied by hand if you choose to use it.

I hope this helps and happy detailing!
MuttGrunt is offline   United_States
      04-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3

Thanks for the info!

I wasn't quite sure about the pad choices so I am glad you made your recommended changes so I can adjust those to softer pads.

Will take some before and after pictures of course. Not sure when ill be detailing it. With all the pollen we have now it might be awhile. Even though ill be in a garage pollen drives me nuts so it might be a couple weeks. Will have to remember next spring to do this in early April!