BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-27-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
PKM3
Engineer
 
Drives: E92 M3 2010
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

Amusing effects of DCT blipping downshifts

Thought I'd share an experience that occurred to me last weekend. I was overtaking a car that was completing a reverse/parallel park against a curb so as I veered around it, I downshifted into 2nd gear, whilst firm on the brakes to stop at a set of red lights. As I downshifted (Drivelogic set on S4; blipping as you know occurs in S4, S5, S6), the exhaust made a great belting blip and (unintentionally) scared the crappers out of a guy getting out of his car. All I could see in my rear view mirror was his reaction followed by his animated wan_er gestures. I guess I could only find this amusing... not sure if that's the juvenile in me. These downshifts sound great from within the car, even better when you go through a tunnel with the window down. I do seem to notice the blips attract a lot of attention (not that I want it); I guess bystanders may never appreciate the fun factor driving a DCT from the driver's seat. The novelty is definitely not wearing off...
PKM3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Nautik
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NoVA

Posts: 632
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKM3 View Post
Thought I'd share an experience that occurred to me last weekend. I was overtaking a car that was completing a reverse/parallel park against a curb so as I veered around it, I downshifted into 2nd gear, whilst firm on the brakes to stop at a set of red lights. As I downshifted (Drivelogic set on S4; blipping as you know occurs in S4, S5, S6), the exhaust made a great belting blip and (unintentionally) scared the crappers out of a guy getting out of his car. All I could see in my rear view mirror was his reaction followed by his animated wan_er gestures. I guess I could only find this amusing... not sure if that's the juvenile in me. These downshifts sound great from within the car, even better when you go through a tunnel with the window down. I do seem to notice the blips attract a lot of attention (not that I want it); I guess bystanders may never appreciate the fun factor driving a DCT from the driver's seat. The novelty is definitely not wearing off...
A lot of people outside the sport car community don't know what rev matching is when downshifting so it confuses them... and apparently startles some!
__________________
2009 e92 M3 - AW DCT - Apex Arc8s - Corsa
Nautik is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
sameh
Major
 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC

Posts: 1,466
iTrader: (0)

be careful with the blips..Other drivers think it's an invitation to race.
__________________
2011 E92 BatMobile JtBlk/Blk/Blk CF
sameh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
sameh
Major
 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC

Posts: 1,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E=mc2 View Post
Let them. They should be the ones who need to be careful
OOH boy, this attitude is gonna get you in a lot of trouble when you get your car..even Minivans want to race you in an M3 donno why
__________________
2011 E92 BatMobile JtBlk/Blk/Blk CF
sameh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
ksoze
Captain
 
ksoze's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 620
iTrader: (0)

Could I have detected random downshift blips in S3?
__________________
2011.75 E93 JB/FR | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
ksoze is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
sameh
Major
 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC

Posts: 1,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Could I have detected random downshift blips in S3?
Yep. After the latest software update I get many S3 blips. Many
__________________
2011 E92 BatMobile JtBlk/Blk/Blk CF
sameh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
///My5UV
Lurker
 
///My5UV's Avatar
 
Drives: E39M5, E90M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin

Posts: 620
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
OOH boy, this attitude is gonna get you in a lot of trouble when you get your car..even Minivans want to race you in an M3 donno why
Minivans aren't trying to race you, they just drive fast. Seriously...the most consistently fast/aggressive driven vehicles seem to be minivans around here.
__________________
///My5UV is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
edwin_jo
Private
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ED ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Yep. After the latest software update I get many S3 blips. Many
Sameh, an out of topic questions, what production date is your car? I am wondering if there is a software upgrade for my car, which was produced in July 2010. What changes did you notice after the software upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
edwin_jo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
sameh
Major
 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC

Posts: 1,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin_jo View Post
Sameh, an out of topic questions, what production date is your car? I am wondering if there is a software upgrade for my car, which was produced in July 2010. What changes did you notice after the software upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
I PMed you the answer so we don't Hijack the thread. Lemme know if you have more questions.
__________________
2011 E92 BatMobile JtBlk/Blk/Blk CF
sameh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,766
iTrader: (291)

I drive in D3 but always put S5 ready for my downshifts

I love it

Brings a lot of attention and scares some people.

Funny though, no one ever tries to race me
And I like it as I don't like to race on the street....
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
mrkbbd
Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: VA/FL

Posts: 483
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 Mercedes E63AMG  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Could I have detected random downshift blips in S3?
I occasionally even get blips in S1 (at high RPMs), so yes
__________________
2006 e53 X5 4.8is (sold)
2009 e92 M3
2008 E63 AMG
mrkbbd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
sameh
Major
 
sameh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC

Posts: 1,466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I drive in D3 but always put S5 ready for my downshifts

I love it

Brings a lot of attention and scares some people.

Funny though, no one ever tries to race me
And I like it as I don't like to race on the street....
waoo waoo..how do you have S5 ready for down shifts..if you just downshift from D it'll go to S3 UNLESS:
1) You changes your s setting to S5 every time you turn the car on, then switch back to D to drive (too much )
2) you hit M before you downshift (assuming your M setting is S5) but that's not an instant downshifting to S5 though.
3) You have european specs
__________________
2011 E92 BatMobile JtBlk/Blk/Blk CF
sameh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,736
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKM3 View Post
Thought I'd share an experience that occurred to me last weekend. I was overtaking a car that was completing a reverse/parallel park against a curb so as I veered around it, I downshifted into 2nd gear, whilst firm on the brakes to stop at a set of red lights. As I downshifted (Drivelogic set on S4; blipping as you know occurs in S4, S5, S6), the exhaust made a great belting blip and (unintentionally) scared the crappers out of a guy getting out of his car. All I could see in my rear view mirror was his reaction followed by his animated wan_er gestures. I guess I could only find this amusing... not sure if that's the juvenile in me. These downshifts sound great from within the car, even better when you go through a tunnel with the window down. I do seem to notice the blips attract a lot of attention (not that I want it); I guess bystanders may never appreciate the fun factor driving a DCT from the driver's seat. The novelty is definitely not wearing off...
Definitely not
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
donovan
Brigadier General
 
donovan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: le' Murica

Posts: 3,470
iTrader: (12)

Down shifting is almost the best part of the DCT-SMG Tranny lmao..
__________________


e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
donovan is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
eisenb11
Major
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Posts: 1,122
iTrader: (0)

Does blipping occur in any of the D modes, or is it S4+ only?
eisenb11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,766
iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
waoo waoo..how do you have S5 ready for down shifts..if you just downshift from D it'll go to S3 UNLESS:
1) You changes your s setting to S5 every time you turn the car on, then switch back to D to drive (too much )
2) you hit M before you downshift (assuming your M setting is S5) but that's not an instant downshifting to S5 though.
3) You have european specs
I do #1

Turn car on, put it into S5, then put it back to D. Not much work. Takes all but 3 seconds

I rarely press the M button. Only when I hit the canyons or want to go spirited on the freeway
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #17
emthreeboy
Captain
 
emthreeboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 918
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
be careful with the blips..Other drivers think it's an invitation to race.
+1. sigh.
__________________
-09 e92 SPACE GRAY/// m3 w/ m-dct!

-06 E46 JET BLACK/// m3 6MT!
emthreeboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #18
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
 
Prince_of_Persia's Avatar
 
Drives: 6MT E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,377
iTrader: (1)

And just imagine if you were doing everything yourself rather than by the computer ..... lol

Sorry had to say this!!! Saw lots of DCT drivers at the same time and ....
__________________

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Prince_of_Persia is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,736
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
be careful with the blips..Other drivers think it's an invitation to race.
So? lulz
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #20
Seattle S65B40
Major
 
Seattle S65B40's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW

Posts: 1,396
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
So? lulz
__________________

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Seattle S65B40 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #21
RayC
Lieutenant
 
RayC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Centreville, VA

Posts: 544
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
A lot of people outside the sport car community don't know what rev matching is when downshifting so it confuses them... and apparently startles some!
I had a passenger (female) who asked me what that noise was (the rev-matching). She asked me, "Is that the turbo?"

RayC is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #22
RayC
Lieutenant
 
RayC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Centreville, VA

Posts: 544
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
Minivans aren't trying to race you, they just drive fast. Seriously...the most consistently fast/aggressive driven vehicles seem to be minivans around here.
They've all seen Mr. and Mrs. Smith too many times and think they're being chased by assassins in BMWs.
RayC is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST