BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
888
I'm takin' the day off.
 
888's Avatar
 
Drives: M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 339
iTrader: (0)

New M3 info. (& sunroof clarification)

I spoke to BMW SA (South Africa). The first demo cars ,for SA, will go into production in June, customer cars in September, some interesting facts:

18” std option 19’
C/F roof OR sunroof with sheet metal
M option pack
M drive (option)
Electric damper control (option)
45 customer cars for 2006
Only manual and then in early 08 the “new” gearbox.

Last edited by 888; 03-20-2007 at 08:46 AM. Reason: new title
888 is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
M2002
Private First Class
 
M2002's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 330i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)

Whats M option pack and M drive?
M2002 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
888
I'm takin' the day off.
 
888's Avatar
 
Drives: M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 339
iTrader: (0)

I think M option pack includes the 19" and some things like adjustable side seat bolsters. The M drive I think is the M button as on the M5. I wana know what is electric damper control?
888 is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
verman
New Member
 
verman's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

BMW's EDC explained:

http://www.bmw.co.za/Products/FIRST/Active/act-EDC.htm
verman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888 View Post
I think M option pack includes the 19" and some things like adjustable side seat bolsters. The M drive I think is the M button as on the M5. I wana know what is electric damper control?
reminds me of Tein's EDFC
http://www.tein.com/edfc.html

cool feature

[edit] verman beat me to it
Last E92 M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
skierman64
Brigadier General
 
skierman64's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greater St Louis Metro area

Posts: 3,068
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
EDC, that will be nice. A softer ride when you want it but you can stiffen it up for the track. How awesome. No viagra required
skierman64 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
Mii
First Lieutenant
 
Mii's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: US

Posts: 371
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888 View Post
Only manual and then in early 08 the “new” gearbox.
This got to be the DSG gearbox otherwise there is nothing "new" that BMW wouldn't say.
Mii is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2002 View Post
Whats M option pack and M drive?
This will likely be faster and more aggressive DSC.....the new M3 will be using the Flexray bus that allows the computers to control the dynamics on the car much quicker and better than with the system.....
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Robert
Major General
 
Drives: 135i, current is350
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Socal

Posts: 6,899
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
This will likely be faster and more aggressive DSC.....the new M3 will be using the Flexray bus that allows the computers to control the dynamics on the car much quicker and better than with the system.....
So it's only available through options? It doesnt make sense BMW will have some of their Ms less responsive than others. I believe the Flexray is standarded.
Robert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
So it's only available through options? It doesnt make sense BMW will have some of their Ms less responsive than others. I believe the Flexray is standarded.
I am just guessing with the best of them..... but this wouldn't make sense for me either. Who knows it could be just a $350 option.....

I just hope the Flexray stuff isn't just marketing hype.....
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #11
mdriver
Rookie
 
Drives: Grey E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Yesssssssss

Yessssssss! At least sunroof is an option for those who loves a naturally lit cockpit. Do you know if it's a moon roof (I know you indicated 'sheet metal') I just wish it is since winter is long here in Canada. I bet someone will agree with me.
mdriver is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2007, 02:13 AM   #12
mcoupeman
Registered
 
Drives: 2006 ford fusion
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: south florida

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

m option pack is the speed-limiter being raised (m5 has this also)
carbon fiber roof (new), or steel roof with a sunroof just like 335i
m-drive just like m5 (m button for engine power,edc, seats,etc.)
edc=electronic damper control, again nothing new (m5,750li,760li,e34m5,etc.)
new gearbox = twin-cluth type just like dsg from volkswagen
mcoupeman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2007, 02:40 AM   #13
888
I'm takin' the day off.
 
888's Avatar
 
Drives: M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 339
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriver View Post
Yessssssss! At least sunroof is an option for those who loves a naturally lit cockpit. Do you know if it's a moon roof (I know you indicated 'sheet metal') I just wish it is since winter is long here in Canada. I bet someone will agree with me.

steel roof with a sunroof just like 335i (Thanks Mcoupeman)
888 is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2007, 06:56 AM   #14
M2002
Private First Class
 
M2002's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 330i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupeman View Post
m option pack is the speed-limiter being raised (m5 has this also)
I never knew that was possible. so you sre telling me that the speed limiter in the m5 can be raised? if so then what is the new limit?
M2002 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2007, 07:28 AM   #15
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,748
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2002 View Post
I never knew that was possible. so you sre telling me that the speed limiter in the m5 can be raised? if so then what is the new limit?
305 km/h (kph)
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #16
m_bazeepaymon
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,075
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to m_bazeepaymon
this thread sounds very fishy...

Its like paying an extra 350 bucks to BMW to have a Sport Button on the E46 ......
__________________


ZzZzZ'er
m_bazeepaymon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #17
888
I'm takin' the day off.
 
888's Avatar
 
Drives: M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 339
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
this thread sounds very fishy...

Its like paying an extra 350 bucks to BMW to have a Sport Button on the E46 ......
I agree it does sound strange that M drive is an option when I asked what it is I was told “It is the M button as on the M5”. This information I thought was worth sharing and obviously BMW don’t want to give away the game at this stage but the first cars have been specked by the few dealers that will be getting demo vehicles and thus the options list has become available at dealer level. I will get to speck my car in August for September production. My choice for now is white with c/f roof (I like the contrast as per M6). All the M packs 19” rims the new sound system and the EDC. If all goes well I will be one of the first customers in the world with this car (I hope).
888 is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
888
I'm takin' the day off.
 
888's Avatar
 
Drives: M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 339
iTrader: (0)

options list will be different for some territories

Also remember the options list will be different for some territories. My E46 came with everything that was optional in other markets. Our cars are very expensive so BMW often throws us a bone by giving us some extras that you must pay for in the USA. Just to give you guys an idea we pay about $120 000 for the M5.
888 is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2007, 05:43 PM   #19
m_bazeepaymon
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,075
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to m_bazeepaymon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888 View Post
I agree it does sound strange that M drive is an option when I asked what it is I was told “It is the M button as on the M5”. This information I thought was worth sharing and obviously BMW don’t want to give away the game at this stage but the first cars have been specked by the few dealers that will be getting demo vehicles and thus the options list has become available at dealer level. I will get to speck my car in August for September production. My choice for now is white with c/f roof (I like the contrast as per M6). All the M packs 19” rims the new sound system and the EDC. If all goes well I will be one of the first customers in the world with this car (I hope).
I'm not saying your message is B.S.
just confused thats all....
good find though
__________________


ZzZzZ'er
m_bazeepaymon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST