BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

04-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
mdrobc13
Major

Drives: '12 BMW 550i

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
Cool Confessions of a former M3 coupe owner! Gone but never forgotten

Quote: Originally Posted by Cdnrockies
[You traded your M3] Really?

Have you seen it in person? While I thought the concept was excellent and thought it might be an option....after I saw it in person I was incredibly disappointed. I'd be genuinely interested in knowing your thought process in going from an M3 to A7?"

ANSWER
No problem...M3 was an 08 e92 M3 coupe in Sparkling graphite metallic which I built and spec'd out and purchased in 2008 July. Did the PDC in SC which was awesome. SO I must say no problems every with the car or purchase...but am the ADD type as far as cars go so likely after 3 yrs with it as a daily driver that played some part in my choice. Also had gotten to the point that I'd modded it as far as it reasonably would go. din an ECU and suspension check! SS brake line check! CF lip and diffuser check...VMR V710 graphite wheels..yep. 2009 Nav CIC retrofit and I drive controller swap...did it myself this past Jan. So really there was nothing left to go in the car there! That may bring you to ask..do I plan on moding the A7...somewhat but mostly just engine tuning to unrestricted its HP and speed limiter as it has a very nice sports package already. Status/logistics wise...have wifey and two kids approaching pre-teen and so getting into a coupe daily for all of us and even just me was doable but as my daughter noted when in the A7 for the 1st time sitting in the back..."wow its some much more spacier in the back now...I got room to breathe" so that was a factor too...wanting more space and room. Some may say why not get an M3 sedan...they are going pretty cheap cause they're not selling too well so could have gotten one at a steal I am sure but then for some reason to me..an M3 sedan is like saying I couldn't spring for the M5 or wouldn't spring for it. No offense to the 4 door M3 owners out there. I believe the car looks great and athletic and as purposeful as its coupe cousin...however in MY brain which may be jacked up to some...when I see it I think M5..almost SO couldn't go there.

Now some of you will say why not M5 then...well simple reason...I looked at the new F10 550i and 535i and didn't like em. New M5 will likely be pheonomenal but a price whore! North of $80-90k after you do the ritual BMW options dance! Have driving the outgoing car at the BMW Peformance school and M school and was NOT that impressed to pay THAT much! Its phenomenal engine wise and luxurious but not at those prices! Also gas mileage is attrociatous from every buddy I know who's owned one! Reviews so far have them mediocre and losing to the likes of Jaguar XFRs in terms of fun factor and asthetics and Panamera's in performance even. Not a big fan of the E class's new look..its okay but just didn't like it.

SO unless someone left me the $$ for an Aston Martin Rapide OR a Maseratti Grand Turisimo I ended up looking at the A6/S6 and A7/S7 as a choice for an upgrade. New A6/S6 isn't out yet...old one has an engine note of the gods (S6 here)...if you've not checked it out yet on youtube search now and listen...has the Lamboghini V10 engine just detuned a little. But 2012 A6 isn't out yet here and the A7 just beat it to the punch. When I was it...it does actually look better in person especially a lighter color which I think brings out the curves/asthetics and lines. Plus I got a great deal with about $4k off and a check back from my trade as I had about 90% equity in my M3 already!

Final reasoning my friend is that I have an 09 Carrera S with PDK in the right side of my garage next to where the M3 once parked! SO I can get my sports car fix on any day I want to...I just have to go pickup the other set of keys instead! I LOVE that car! Driving it is just awesome!
So it really didn't justify keeping the M3 any longer for that reason and the ones stated above IMHO. If cash were NO object ever...shyt I'd have kept it AND gotten the A7 and added a Porsche Boxster S or Spyder for those days when I want to let the sun shine in my friend! But for most of us...its not that easy or simple.

Hope that helps explain things...mdrobc13
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
mdrobc13 is offline   United_States
      04-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
piloto
Captain

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR

I love the striped wood in the A7's interior. Congrats. I do chuckle at your M3t sedan comment, as I see it much differently. It makes me chuckle because it never ceases to amaze me how different people see thing so completely differently. I take it you got the supercharged 3.0T? If so, do a dyno run and see what it's putting out in stock form. Many of the S4s seemed to be near 400hp (crank) stock, as opposed to the quoted 333hp. In any case, the A7 is a beautiful car. Good choice and enjoy!
      04-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Cdnrockies
Banned

Drives: BMW's

Wow! First congrats on your new ride. You obviously made the best choice for you.

Second, thanks for the thorough explanation of your thought process. Like was just mentioned, it's always interesting to see how peoples perspectives differ when looking at or discussing the same thing.
Cdnrockies is offline   Canada
      04-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
mdrobc13
Major

Drives: '12 BMW 550i

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
I love the striped wood in the A7's interior. Congrats. I do chuckle at your M3t sedan comment, as I see it much differently. It makes me chuckle because it never ceases to amaze me how different people see thing so completely differently. I take it you got the supercharged 3.0T? If so, do a dyno run and see what it's putting out in stock form. Many of the S4s seemed to be near 400hp (crank) stock, as opposed to the quoted 333hp. In any case, the A7 is a beautiful car. Good choice and enjoy!
Will do...cause it seems dayum quick for a larger 4 door sedan which I am sure outweighs the M3 by a significant # of lbs! Didn't look it up but it has to weight at least a couple of hundred pounds alone...and my M3 had a Dinan ECU flash, Dinan sport peformance springs, Eissenman exhaust, and AFE performance air filter...so the A7 being agile especially when I use the paddles and put the transmission logic in SPORT surprised me yesterday.

No offese to M3 sedan owners...just the way I see it when I look at the car. Just like some may say tomato other tomoto!

Mdrobc13
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
mdrobc13 is offline   United_States
      04-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?

Drives: 1 of Many

Good choice, the A7 is a beautiful car. I really really like the marketing campaign.

"Nothing is more liberating, than a blank piece of paper!"

So subtle, but so true!
InTheNightKitchen is offline   United_States
      04-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
mainstray
NSDQ

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
At least i have a piece of Rob's car
mainstray is offline   United_States