BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #45
FinInk
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
291
Posts

 
Drives: 2000 Celica, Wanting 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fresno

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by younghov85 View Post
Focus on school like this: school=money

chasing nice cars can make you lose money but you wont lose nice cars chasing money. so chase your education in school and you will have 10 BMWs
Word. It's sad, but one of my major motivators for doing well in school is so that I can get a really good job and get my 335i hahah.

I'm majoring in Civil Engineering so I have to make sure I understand all the math I'm taking. I like Math more as opposed to something like English becase in Math there's almost always just the one right answer and no one can criticize that answer as long as you did it right.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #46
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
ehhhwik's Avatar
Hong Kong
51
Rep
3,432
Posts

 
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (5)

im in 3rd year in my university degree and i have a question for you "post college" people about grades...

Do employeers really look at your transcript+grades as a deciding factor to whether they will hire you or not??

I don't have bad grades (B average) doing a double major in Psychology and Economics and got in with entrance scholarship at University of British Columbia (ranked number #27 in the world according to Business Week Magazine)
__________________
Current: 09' E90 335d - Titanium Silver/Black Leatherette/Sports Package/6AT Paddle Shift/USB Integration/19" Staggered Breyton GT Gloss Black

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #47
wuufer001
Colonel
wuufer001's Avatar
Taiwan
56
Rep
2,305
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW, TX//Taiwan//South Africa

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2006 325i  [4.67]
same here, always on the net with e90post. but i now with the new laptop i am going to use it in class browsing e90post.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #48
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
ehhhwik's Avatar
Hong Kong
51
Rep
3,432
Posts

 
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
same here, always on the net with e90post. but i now with the new laptop i am going to use it in class browsing e90post.
hahaha, i am doing that right now in my Behaviour Psychology class...haha, the prof is talking about Major Depression Disorder
__________________
Current: 09' E90 335d - Titanium Silver/Black Leatherette/Sports Package/6AT Paddle Shift/USB Integration/19" Staggered Breyton GT Gloss Black

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 10:14 PM   #49
ages944
Captain
ages944's Avatar
Poland
41
Rep
990
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago 'burbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome View Post
college is so fucking easy
... business major...
__________________
BMW : Sine qua non

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #50
2009BMW335
Captain
8
Rep
674
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: davie, fl

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last E92 M3 View Post
lol? what did you major in...english? lmfao
what an ignorant comment
double major in history and english, minor in political science. i'm not ignorant, college was just, pardon my french, fuckin easy... and then i got to grad school...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 11:14 PM   #51
jbake
OG
jbake's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
920
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Valley Jo

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
Rizal...did u finish your HW? lol it looks like you decided to test fit your wheels LOL!! givin u a hard time
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #52
SocalTy
Flushing, Queens stand up!!
SocalTy's Avatar
12
Rep
830
Posts

 
Drives: AW E90
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NYC

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
06 e90  [0.00]
Good luck in school Rizal. Just keep your head in the game when the time calls for it. I'm sure you know when you can and can't slack off.

I'm in the same boat as you. Biology major with physiology option. It's really starting to get insane. Plus, I have to worry of maintaining a 3.0 in all science classes and overall gpa for grad school consideration. Not fun, but damn as hell worth it for the future. Good luck mang.
__________________
l 20% Tints l Osram 6000k Xenons l Brex l Blacklines l White Led Sidemarkers l PIAA Superwhite Turn Signals l 19" Breyton Spirits l H&R Sport Springs l Koni Yellow Adjustable Dampers l ACS Roof Spoiler l Painted Carbon Spoiler l Luminics Fogs l Oem Chrome Grill l
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #53
dth656
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
321
Posts

 
Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: cali

iTrader: (0)

so out of undergrad (top 5 engineering school per US News World report), NO one asked me my GPA. 6 years later after grad school (at an ivy league uni), again, no one asked me my GPA.


However, if you plan to attend grad school w/in your major, GPA will be a factor, in addition to GRE scores and your personal statement. that being said, if you can find a prof whose research areas of focus align w/ your intended field of study, you can get in no matter your GPA (at least in what i've witnessed).

hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 11:54 PM   #54
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
17
Rep
1,507
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome View Post
double major in history and english, minor in political science. i'm not ignorant, college was just, pardon my french, fuckin easy... and then i got to grad school...
i figured...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #55
SteanLV
SteanLV's Avatar
Philippines
81
Rep
2,854
Posts

 
Drives: Liberty Walk M3
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to SteanLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbake View Post
Rizal...did u finish your HW? lol it looks like you decided to test fit your wheels LOL!! givin u a hard time
HAHA i wanted to take a break from schooling today.. my head was just .. i have to do more science work toniught omggg im soo tiredd!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 11:57 PM   #56
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
ehhhwik's Avatar
Hong Kong
51
Rep
3,432
Posts

 
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
so out of undergrad (top 5 engineering school per US News World report), NO one asked me my GPA. 6 years later after grad school (at an ivy league uni), again, no one asked me my GPA.


However, if you plan to attend grad school w/in your major, GPA will be a factor, in addition to GRE scores and your personal statement. that being said, if you can find a prof whose research areas of focus align w/ your intended field of study, you can get in no matter your GPA (at least in what i've witnessed).

hope that helps
thanks for some what answering my question, simply.....does GOOD GRADES = GOOD PAYING JOBS?
__________________
Current: 09' E90 335d - Titanium Silver/Black Leatherette/Sports Package/6AT Paddle Shift/USB Integration/19" Staggered Breyton GT Gloss Black

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 11:57 PM   #57
SteanLV
SteanLV's Avatar
Philippines
81
Rep
2,854
Posts

 
Drives: Liberty Walk M3
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to SteanLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalTy View Post
Good luck in school Rizal. Just keep your head in the game when the time calls for it. I'm sure you know when you can and can't slack off.

I'm in the same boat as you. Biology major with physiology option. It's really starting to get insane. Plus, I have to worry of maintaining a 3.0 in all science classes and overall gpa for grad school consideration. Not fun, but damn as hell worth it for the future. Good luck mang.
Hehe im in same position.. pharmacy school average gpa = 3.65 so its very tough... I hope I can do some sort of business that I could own and make a lot of money because I just cannot work as a laborer all my life
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #58
dth656
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
321
Posts

 
Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: cali

iTrader: (0)

unfortunately, grades arent the final arbiter of income. the real world isnt a midterm or final, so sometimes people who excel in school don't do so well in jobs, and vice versa. depends on the individual...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 01:19 AM   #59
dr335is
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,975
Posts

 
Drives: Some Mazda junk...
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Somebody ban his ass...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 02:58 AM   #60
cm3rc
Colonel
cm3rc's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
2,221
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ferndale MI

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
06 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to cm3rc
damn foo addict!! do your hw!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 03:27 AM   #61
TheDL
MARK IT ZERO!!!
TheDL's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Planet Uranus

iTrader: (1)

Dropping out of community college has served me very well, MUHAHAHA...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 04:41 AM   #62
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
SpecC's Avatar
170
Rep
15,442
Posts

 
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Francisco and Davis

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to SpecC
he should be banned and given reentry on a pass progress report
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 07:39 AM   #63
darkcloud
Colonel
darkcloud's Avatar
United_States
76
Rep
2,387
Posts

 
Drives: 09 VW JSW
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: cleveland, oh

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to darkcloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhwik View Post
thanks for some what answering my question, simply.....does GOOD GRADES = GOOD PAYING JOBS?
That's a big NEGATIVE. Not to say that if you have good grades you won't get a good paying job, but that will most definately not be the deciding factor. I have known some extremely smart people with excelent GPA's having a hard time getting a job, not because they weren't smart, but because their people skills were horrible. Your people skills or interviewing tactics will more than likely get you a job now over what your GPA is. You could have a 3.7, but if the interviewer thought they were talking to a brick wall they would prolly pick the person with a 2.9 that was personable and eager to learn. You as a person will speak louder than what your resume says your GPA is. Recently it's become better to omit your GPA from your resume because employers have begun to think it is a way of showing off. If the employer needs your GPA they will ask.

Your best bet is to get a few good internships in your field of study. Employers care more about experience then GPA's. Look at job listings, they all say, '2-3 years experience required' or along those lines, not '3.5 GPA or higher required'.
__________________

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #64
Neurorad
Major
Neurorad's Avatar
18
Rep
1,212
Posts

 
Drives: 330xi 6MT Blk/Blk SP
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Location, Location

iTrader: (0)

GPA is somewhat overrated, but absolutely essential for grad school. The grad school's admissions dept's primary concern is admitting people who won't flunk out. The employer's position is that he/she wants to find people that work well with others.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #65
2009BMW335
Captain
8
Rep
674
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: davie, fl

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last E92 M3 View Post
i figured...
so you think english is a joke? i mustve written five hundred pages worth of papers between history and english as an undergrad-something i plan on doing for a living one day. but i'm thsooooooooo ignorant i'm t3h stupid
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #66
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
ehhhwik's Avatar
Hong Kong
51
Rep
3,432
Posts

 
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
That's a big NEGATIVE. Not to say that if you have good grades you won't get a good paying job, but that will most definately not be the deciding factor. I have known some extremely smart people with excelent GPA's having a hard time getting a job, not because they weren't smart, but because their people skills were horrible. Your people skills or interviewing tactics will more than likely get you a job now over what your GPA is. You could have a 3.7, but if the interviewer thought they were talking to a brick wall they would prolly pick the person with a 2.9 that was personable and eager to learn. You as a person will speak louder than what your resume says your GPA is. Recently it's become better to omit your GPA from your resume because employers have begun to think it is a way of showing off. If the employer needs your GPA they will ask.

Your best bet is to get a few good internships in your field of study. Employers care more about experience then GPA's. Look at job listings, they all say, '2-3 years experience required' or along those lines, not '3.5 GPA or higher required'.
Thanks for your clarification, that makes me feel a lot better. I was previously quite worried because i want to work and get paid well but i dont have straight A's but now i feel better!
__________________
Current: 09' E90 335d - Titanium Silver/Black Leatherette/Sports Package/6AT Paddle Shift/USB Integration/19" Staggered Breyton GT Gloss Black

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST