BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-18-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
findtom
Colonel
 
findtom's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Considering small apartment renovation - opinions wanted please! *pics*

I love my place but the lack of a dedicated office area has always bothered me, I think it should also help resale value and will be relatively inexpensive to do.

Here is the floor plan from the original builder, you can see the red outline of the area I want to modify to create a small office.

I traced a designer's sketch to do a before and after view of the area outlined in red on the floor plan.

Also there is a quick shot of the actual area to see what it looks like.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images
    
__________________
findtom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
canuck335i
Private with no class
 
canuck335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North of Montreal

Posts: 649
iTrader: (0)

sounds like a good plan
canuck335i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 12:27 AM   #3
spacedogg
Colonel
 
spacedogg's Avatar
 
Drives: Debadged
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,819
iTrader: (0)

will it be noisy? i know you have a sliding door in your plan...but those don't really isolate sound very much...maybe spend some money in accoustic dampening material the wall seperating the washer/dryer with the room. I take it you'll be using the desk area for studying/work? or is it for a computer?
spacedogg is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 07:18 AM   #4
findtom
Colonel
 
findtom's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
will it be noisy? i know you have a sliding door in your plan...but those don't really isolate sound very much...maybe spend some money in accoustic dampening material the wall seperating the washer/dryer with the room. I take it you'll be using the desk area for studying/work? or is it for a computer?
Hmm.... good point. I wouldn't be worried about the noise from the washer/dryer so much as the CCUM thing which controls the central heat/ac and pretty much runs constantly in the summer. I'm also thinking of maybe putting a pocket door where the office entrance is so it will look open but I can close it off if I want to.

The desk area will be for computer/workspace. I think I'll probably have a surface cut to fit it perfectly. I might also wire the stuff for my TV into that room and have it above on the right (windows media pc, audio receiver, xbox, etc..).

Thanks for the feedback.
__________________
findtom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
findtom
Colonel
 
findtom's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck335i View Post
sounds like a good plan
Thanks.
__________________
findtom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
kenneth
Major General
 
kenneth's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal

Posts: 8,596
iTrader: (13)

Findtom, Looks good! You can also use the CCUM room as storage perhaps. My only question is: How will you link the Washer/Dryer to the existing Water in/out and air exhaust on the other wall of the office?
kenneth is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
Nikki
Major General
 
Nikki's Avatar
 
Drives: del Sol VTEC
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malibu

Posts: 6,368
iTrader: (9)

Looks good, I've been struggling without having a designated eating area because I just eat at my computer desk. Stinks
__________________
Nikki

Nikki is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
findtom
Colonel
 
findtom's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Findtom, Looks good! You can also use the CCUM room as storage perhaps. My only question is: How will you link the Washer/Dryer to the existing Water in/out and air exhaust on the other wall of the office?
Thanks. It's going to have to be moved. According to the designer that did the plan for me it won't be too big a deal.... at least less so than moving the CCUM thing (which is connected to ducts, etc...) or the electical box (which has regulations issues). I hope she's right.

The gap next to the CCUM thing will be storage, yes. Not much else I can do with it since the electrical box is there. I have a storage locker in the basement of the building as well.
__________________
findtom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
findtom
Colonel
 
findtom's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Looks good, I've been struggling without having a designated eating area because I just eat at my computer desk. Stinks
Yeah... sucks about the office though because it affects my productivity not really having a proper workspace at home. There is space for it in the main room or the bedroom (I sort of have a workspace next to my bed) but I like having everything sparsely furnished and spaced out. It makes it feel bigger even though it isn't really. If I have this office my place will be pretty much featured out.
__________________
findtom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 12:05 PM   #10
kenneth
Major General
 
kenneth's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal

Posts: 8,596
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by findtom View Post
Thanks. It's going to have to be moved. According to the designer that did the plan for me it won't be too big a deal.... at least less so than moving the CCUM thing (which is connected to ducts, etc...) or the electical box (which has regulations issues). I hope she's right.

The gap next to the CCUM thing will be storage, yes. Not much else I can do with it since the electrical box is there. I have a storage locker in the basement of the building as well.
Another option could be to leave the wardrobe untouched, move stacked Washer/Dryer with it's back the outside wall next to the left of the CCUM unit, you may still have access to the electric board? and instead of having wall and sliding door to close this off, have folding doors across the whole length. This could be a less intrusive option, cost less and distance the water from the electrical outlet....
kenneth is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #11
findtom
Colonel
 
findtom's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Another option could be to leave the wardrobe untouched, move stacked Washer/Dryer with it's back the outside wall next to the left of the CCUM unit, you may still have access to the electric board? and instead of having wall and sliding door to close this off, have folding doors across the whole length. This could be a less intrusive option, cost less and distance the water from the electrical outlet....
Hmmm.... very good point. I'll have to measure the space to see how the w/d will fit there. Come to think of it, the designer did mention that water can't be too close to the electical box.... but the way she set up the closet it will be sharing the same wall.
__________________
findtom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
findtom
Colonel
 
findtom's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
btw... she has 29x31" as the dimensions of the washer and dryer... but there are some compact ones I was looking at that were more like 22x24" so that should leave ample space for access to the electrical box.
__________________
findtom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #13
kenneth
Major General
 
kenneth's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal

Posts: 8,596
iTrader: (13)

Before getting the mini ones, I think the larger ones may just fit, based on the dimensions in the plans. cheers!
kenneth is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #14
Bimmerista
Major General
 
Bimmerista's Avatar
 
Drives: superstock
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posts: 5,698
iTrader: (0)

I think Kenneth may be on to something if you can preserve access to switch box....

Either way I think that adding the space will actually even increase the value of your pad. So go for it.
__________________
__________________________
2012 335i, saphire black, coral red leather interior, sport line, sport suspension, 6mt, premium package
2011 Lincoln MKX, black on black, premium package - that's right! Techno-Groovy baby
Bimmerista is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
findtom
Colonel
 
findtom's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Before getting the mini ones, I think the larger ones may just fit, based on the dimensions in the plans. cheers!
I tried planning it out myself and it seems like it might be a bit tight with the electrical box even with the compact w/d. Ideal would be if the box can be moved over more in the middle so it would be CCUM thing on the left, electrical box straight ahead and washer/dryer on the right. Another potential problem is that the common hallway is on the other side of that wall and I'm not sure how much I can do with "shared" walls.

I'm going to talk to the designer about this tomorrow though. If it works it will be great though, it will mean less smashing of walls and spending of money.... plus I'll be able to keep my big entrance closet.
__________________
findtom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2007, 10:36 PM   #16
findtom
Colonel
 
findtom's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
I think Kenneth may be on to something if you can preserve access to switch box....

Either way I think that adding the space will actually even increase the value of your pad. So go for it.
This is the plan... it seems that most people who buy 2 bedroom places around here do so to use one as an office anyway, so hopefully this will separate mine from the one bedroom pack when the time comes.
__________________
findtom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #17
Wolf359
Captain
 
Wolf359's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada

Posts: 942
iTrader: (0)

As I recall, it's a condo? Watch out for something, most condos have it in their regulations that you can't alter the internal divisions (If you did, you could be asked to put back the old divisions, and it would be a shame to pay twice and end up back to the start)... That's one thing to check in your condo regulations.
Wolf359 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #18
findtom
Colonel
 
findtom's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 545i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,656
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
I have to get the plans approved by the condo board before they can go ahead.... seems stupid to me, but whatever. If it doesn't affect the exterior of the building or other people's condos I don't see why it's anyone's business what you do with your own property... from the intial reaction I don't think it will be a problem anyway.
__________________
findtom is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST