BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
EclipsisNA
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Jerry Brown's little tree-huggin' state

Posts: 3,319
iTrader: (1)

California Speedway June 10th (on the Roval)

Posting on behalf of BMW CCA Los Angeles Chapter...

Our premiere event at the L.A. Chapter “Home Track” is undergoing some changes! This year, in order to make the track more affordable in the face of this slow recovering economy, we’ve decided to offer Auto Club Speedway as a one day only event on Friday, June 10th for the attractive pricing of $320! Burn a sick day, start your weekend off right by spending it with us on the track!

We will be continuing our excellent “A+” program that’s been drawing rave reviews from all around the region, with improved traffic management, intense off-track classroom sessions, and fun on-track exercise to bridge the gap between driving schools and “the next level.” Be sure to check with the event organizers to see if you’ve been recommended to take our A+ program.

If you’re not familiar with our High Performance Driving School driver’s training program, it’s been often described as “the most fun you can have with your clothes on.” Advanced driving techniques beyond what you can learn on the street or through most driver’s training programs, techniques that makes you a safer AND faster driver, will be taught in a controlled environment. Passing rules are clearly defined to ensure the utmost safety to you and your vehicle. A qualified instructor will be assigned to you and will be riding with you, not only to instruct you in the fine-art of high performance driving, but to also keep a second set of eyes out for you and your safety. We at the L.A. Chapter of BMW CCA and the extended Pacific Region is quite proud of our record and low rate of on-track incidents. This is THE BEST and safest environment to learn to push you and your car to the limit.

So come drive at the world famous Auto Club Speedway with us!

Register through Constant Contact and pay via check or PayPal. $320 for early bird registration (Early bird closes on May 1st) without garage or $345 with garage. $350 AFTER early bird expires on May 1st!
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
The HACK is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
wwjd15
Banned
 
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orange County

Posts: 1,322
iTrader: (6)

I'm new to the BMW community. I'm interested at this track event, but not sure if I understand it correctly. So, the reason why it's $320 that expensive because of full day instructor in car? Is this more like a driver clinic or HPDE?
wwjd15 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Jerry Brown's little tree-huggin' state

Posts: 3,319
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd15 View Post
I'm new to the BMW community. I'm interested at this track event, but not sure if I understand it correctly. So, the reason why it's $320 that expensive because of full day instructor in car? Is this more like a driver clinic or HPDE?
This is a HPDS (as in school, not just an event). BMW CCA by-laws require that a full-time instructor be available in the passenger seat of every attendee. Whether you're a seasoned veteran, or a first timer on track, there will be an in-car instructor available to you.

And the COST of renting California Speedway roval is prohibitively expensive. Comparing the L.A. Chapter 1 day school to other 1 day events that provides no instruction, or instruction optional, it isn't that far off.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
The HACK is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Jerry Brown's little tree-huggin' state

Posts: 3,319
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinel999 View Post
300 dollars for just one day? Are you people high? What's wrong with the $175 that nasa charges for one day or the $200 per day that the sd chapter charged at chuckwalla or the $150 per day that the porsche club charges for their track days?

I this event meant only for the rich bmw owners from malibu?
[joke]Wait, you guys drive a $70,000 car and complain about paying an extra $100 for a driving school?[/joke]

The inappropriate jokes aside...

Chuckwalla cost Sandy Eggo $4,500 a day to rent. California Speedway cost $9,000 a day to rent. There's a good reason why Chuckwalla is a lot cheaper.

NASA does not mandate an in-car instructor for anything. In fact I think they provide instructor ONLY if you request it in HPDE 1 (I may be mistaken). BMW CCA by-laws mandate that we provide in-car instructors for every single participant. So in order to have an event you need at least 1 instructor for every 2 students, and they (instructors) are hard to come by, meaning we can only really hope to get about 80 participants due to limitation, unlike NASA or Speedventures where as many car as possible is accommodated with shorter run groups that may be impacted by racers and race incidents.

I personally know the POC chief instructor in the region, and I don't think they charge $150 for California Speedway. Unless it's the infield only course.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
The HACK is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,216
iTrader: (5)

The LA CCA runs a VERY GOOD program, particularly if you're new to tracking. The size of the run groups are not huge and every car has an instructor who has gone through a teaching program to learn how to communicate with the student.
It's a very SAFE way to get on the track with your $70k car.
You don't pass unless you get a point by and every car has an instructor to prevent the bone heads from doing something stupid. The classroom time is also very good.

If you're talking PCA, you have to own a Porsche to be a member in Cali, unless they changed that rule recently.

All the instructors at the CCA event's are volunteers except for 1/2 a room and a lunch. And they're not staying at the Ritz when they have an event. Lunch is a box lunch and is sometimes covered by a dealer. They do it because they like to teach. They don't even get a session out at some events.
I don't know what it's like to run with either of those organizations, but this is an excellent program and well worth the money, IMO.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Jerry Brown's little tree-huggin' state

Posts: 3,319
iTrader: (1)

The infield only portion of the track is significantly cheaper to rent. I just double checked our contract from a private event last year. The infield ONLY is $9,000 to rent. The Roval is $16,000 a day. There really is no way that BMW CCA can hope to offer Cal Speedway at the cost of some other organizations at other tracks.

The economy of scale simply can not afford it. With other organizations where there's 5, 6 groups plus a race and time trial all running on the same day, you can have upwards of 120+ cars at a single event each paying $225, with only maybe 1/4 of the attendee needing any form of instruction. With instruction mandated for everyone, and with 80 some cars as dictated by the available instructors, it is simply not possible to price our schools like NASA or SpeedVentures.

However, what you DO get with BMW CCA is unparalleled instruction. How often can you claim to have the Grand Am rookie of the year as your instructor? Or a multiple time winner driving a very successful yellow and blue BMW program in the same Grand Am? I've had the fortune to have been coached by both. In my not so humble opinion, the instruction from BMW CCA is about as close to pro level instruction like those of Skip Barber and Russell schools but cost moch less.

p.s.: Before you ask, it was VJ Mirzayan and Matt Bell. They both came up through the ranks as BMW CCA drivers and instructors.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
The HACK is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
mastek
e36s54, F10M5, e70X5d
 
mastek's Avatar
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 1,497
iTrader: (15)

Highly Recommend this event for anyone who has never tracked their BMW -- or is intimidated. You will learn alot and have a blast.
mastek is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Jerry Brown's little tree-huggin' state

Posts: 3,319
iTrader: (1)

BUMP! Last week to sign up for the early bird pricing!
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
The HACK is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
RayC
Lieutenant
 
RayC's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Centreville, VA

Posts: 544
iTrader: (4)

Dang this sounds fun, wish I was there. I totally need the instruction.

Free bump!
RayC is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Jerry Brown's little tree-huggin' state

Posts: 3,319
iTrader: (1)

Bump. Apparently the "early bird" sign-up has been extended to this Sunday to accommodate those who wish to attend the Autocross at Santa Anita.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
The HACK is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,216
iTrader: (5)

Just got an email from the LA CCA saying this may be the last event they have there.
I know the price is up there with Laguna Seca.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 956
iTrader: (6)

Anyone going to this? I'm still considering but not sure due to the Friday.
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan 6MT(sold)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego

Posts: 454
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3 Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Anyone going to this? I'm still considering but not sure due to the Friday.
I am
Jeff_DML is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Jerry Brown's little tree-huggin' state

Posts: 3,319
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Just got an email from the LA CCA saying this may be the last event they have there.
I know the price is up there with Laguna Seca.
Had a conversation with the DEC chair today at the Santa Anita autocross and was told the attendee numbers are up to about 70 now and the chapter should break even. She also said about a dozen ax'ers signed up today so barring unforeseen circumstances this event should end up in the black for the first time in the last 5 years.

Still doesn't mean this won't be the last California Speedway school, from the sound of it we will continue to re-evaluate next year regarding the merits of using this track, but having a successful one-day school will go a long way this year.

There's some consideration for doing next year's event on the infield only...would anyone be interested if it's significantly cheaper? I believe you get a massive discount if the oval is rented out by a NASCAR team for testing.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
The HACK is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
albert1028
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 390
iTrader: (0)

I'm going too! First time on the track with a car, have a few years experience on a bike. Wonder if any thing transfer over to car?

Anyone else going to this?
albert1028 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,638
iTrader: (0)

I'd sign up if it was on a weekend...
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
LateBraking
Brigadier General
 
LateBraking's Avatar
 
Drives: Reliable Cars
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pacific Standard Time

Posts: 3,878
iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
I'd sign up if it was on a weekend...
Indeed. Work certainly gets in the way. Sounds fun though.
LateBraking is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #18
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,216
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Had a conversation with the DEC chair today at the Santa Anita autocross and was told the attendee numbers are up to about 70 now and the chapter should break even. She also said about a dozen ax'ers signed up today so barring unforeseen circumstances this event should end up in the black for the first time in the last 5 years.

Still doesn't mean this won't be the last California Speedway school, from the sound of it we will continue to re-evaluate next year regarding the merits of using this track, but having a successful one-day school will go a long way this year.

There's some consideration for doing next year's event on the infield only...would anyone be interested if it's significantly cheaper? I believe you get a massive discount if the oval is rented out by a NASCAR team for testing.
Thanks HACK. I think it's the oval that's really the draw for this track since the infield is pretty flat. Maybe a two day event with one day being the ROVAL and the other day being the infield would be more interesting. Or if it was an additional track day event during the year in addition to the ROVAL and Willow. Any word if there will be 3 or 4 run groups? I know they have too many B's.

Is Willow Springs still on later this year? It would be nice if it was before the time change for an extra hour of daylight. I'm just happy the CCA can still do events. Have they looked at splitting a weekend with the Porsche Owners Club, Audi Club or some other driving organization?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert1028 View Post
I'm going too! First time on the track with a car, have a few years experience on a bike. Wonder if any thing transfer over to car?

Anyone else going to this?
That bike experience will totally help you. Hope you don't get too slowed down if you're in the D group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
I'd sign up if it was on a weekend...
From what HACK has said in the past, it's just too much money and not enough people sign up- probably due to the cost. Just take a day off. It's well worth it.

Here's a very good link for how much it costs to run a HPDE: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...49&postcount=3

The instruction is GREAT and beginner's be MUCH better by the end of the day. Too bad it's not 2 days, because the second day is when you really start going fast.
Then you go out with an instructor and realize you're still SLOOOOWWW. But it's still a blast.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,638
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
From what HACK has said in the past, it's just too much money and not enough people sign up- probably due to the cost. Just take a day off. It's well worth it.

Here's a very good link for how much it costs to run a HPDE: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...49&postcount=3

The instruction is GREAT and beginner's be MUCH better by the end of the day. Too bad it's not 2 days, because the second day is when you really start going fast.
Then you go out with an instructor and realize you're still SLOOOOWWW. But it's still a blast.

.
Yeah, 10-4 on the reason. If I was on salary w/ some company, I suppose I can take a vacation or sick day and go to the track. But, I'm self-employed, bill my clients in 15 min increments; as such, I stand to lose too much money if I take a full weekday off (not to mention spending money on that day).

For that reason, haven't had a vacation in over 6 years (other than weekend getaways) and haven't gone to what-appears-to-be-very-fun BMW M driving school (I think it's Thurs & Fri, and due to the timezone difference, you gotta fly out from LA on Wed morning - that's 3 whole days with no billable income!).

Gotta keep plugging away to pay for the things that have monthly obligations.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #20
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 956
iTrader: (6)

Just checked and this event is closed/full. I guess I missed it.....damn it.
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #21
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Jerry Brown's little tree-huggin' state

Posts: 3,319
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Just checked and this event is closed/full. I guess I missed it.....damn it.
Email the organizer and ask if you can be wait listed. The reason it's closed right now is because we don't have enough instructors. Another call-out to instructors has been issued and we may pick up a handful before the event starts.

If she says no, then it means *I* am in for a very long day that Friday...
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
The HACK is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #22
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,216
iTrader: (5)

Looks like the B group is saturated. I got an email asking for anyone who wants to move up to A. I'd rather move down to C since I'm a new B.
I hope they get a few more instructors.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST