BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #23
Maseroche
Major
 
Maseroche's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 BMW M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bahrain

Posts: 1,402
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
That has to look like one of the best wheel combos that I've seen on an M3!
__________________
Khalid
'08 BMW M3


Maseroche is offline   Bahrain
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #24
Alex@Autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Alex@Autocouture's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3, E92 Frozen GTS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ny

Posts: 3,398
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]

very nice
Alex@Autocouture is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #25
ring007
Major
 
ring007's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 GT3RS & '13 Cayenne GTS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ///Iowa

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (13)

Great look on your car.
ring007 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #26
Darth335
Captain
 
Darth335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 694
iTrader: (16)

Those Wheels are Sexual Chocolate


Darth335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #27
nuzey
Private First Class
 
nuzey's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 138
iTrader: (2)

Oh man I love those wheels! Looks so good
__________________
nuzey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #28
Malek@MRF
Brigadier General
 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,364
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Thanks for all the compliments guys, its much appreciated!

To answer some questions:

1) I will take better and bigger pics for all of you this coming week. I have another surprise for the M3 community as well.

2) Suspension is a ZCP equipped car. The details of the suspension modifications are posted in the original thread as well. But cliffs notes version is H&R springs, E36 M3 front bump stops and modified upper guide support and custom rear spring "pad" and no spring pad in the front, instead with a hand made thrust washer.

3) Car does not rub, but it needs to be realigned again, the toe seems a bit off. I will report back on the fitment of the wheels. The wheels have a 15mm spacer on the rear making it a net ET10 offset wheel from the original ET25. Fronts have no spacer.

4)The 275-35-19 tire should fit just fine as the 265 has plenty of clearance and has never rubbed on anything no matter what I have put the car through.

5) I will take more pictures of the color combo as well. Sadly enough, pictures never depict bamboo beige correctly, but I will do the best I can with the DSLR. Its a stunning combo that brings a touch of classy to an already aggressive exterior and personality the car naturally has.

6) Eibach springs are almost no different in drop in comparison to a ZCP car. It is very hard to tell the difference. The rear pretty much doesnt change at all. My favorite spring for the M3 out of all the ones we have worked with are the H&R's mated to E36 stops and the upper guide support modification. It suits the ZCP cars pretty much perfectly and non ZCP cars very well.

I also hope some of you will see it in person, it really looks so much better in real life, then again, the pictures were taken in low lighting and bad angles. I'll do a better job next time with the photos this week.

How I got the fitment to work? I actually calculated the camber angles of the car when the suspension compresses to understand how much room there is/isn't when the suspension is loaded. Naturally the suspension develops negative camber in the rear when compressed, so I used this to my advantage, but in order to maximize the looks and fitment, I had to know exactly how much it was going to camber inward, this way I could mathematically choose the proper fitments of spacer and tire. This was one of the harder parts.

As for the front, a camber kit will allow me to run a 275-35 without any issue, but I will test the rear wheels on the front for fun to make sure it fits without any sort of kit or modification. If it does, the 265-35 fronts will be removed and the car will be 100% squared up.

-Malek

Last edited by Malek@MRF; 04-18-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #29
slicer
Brigadier General
 
slicer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 3,678
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11 View Post

As for the front, a camber kit will allow me to run a 275-35 without any issue, but I will test the rear wheels on the front for fun to make sure it fits without any sort of kit or modification. If it does, the 265-35 fronts will be removed and the car will be 100% squared up.

-Malek
I will be amazed if you are able to weasel a 275/35 in the front without rubbing. I have 275/30's on the front of my car with some rubbing on the fender liner at near full lock. Not a huge issue but I have to think a 275/35 will tear up the liner pretty bad. I don't see how any level of camber could fix that. I guess you could just limit your turning radius.
__________________
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
slicer is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #30
kitw
Colonel
 
kitw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 2,435
iTrader: (14)

I'm shocked that this fits! it sure didn't on my E90 M3!
kitw is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #31
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant
 
Nexlevmm's Avatar
 
Drives: SG E92 M
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Here and Now

Posts: 430
iTrader: (0)

wow dude that rear looks beefy!
Nexlevmm is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #32
kitw
Colonel
 
kitw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 2,435
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I will be amazed if you are able to weasel a 275/35 in the front without rubbing. I have 275/30's on the front of my car with some rubbing on the fender liner at near full lock. Not a huge issue but I have to think a 275/35 will tear up the liner pretty bad. I don't see how any level of camber could fix that. I guess you could just limit your turning radius.

I wonder if the ZCP has a different fender liner, this is where my car rubbed too.
kitw is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #33
kitw
Colonel
 
kitw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 2,435
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11 View Post
6) Eibach springs are almost no different in drop in comparison to a ZCP car. It is very hard to tell the difference.


My eibach Prokits were *waay* lower than ZCP, almost 1/2", more than a full "finger" of wheel gap, both front and rear. ZCP is about the same as my Dinan setup, after it settled.
kitw is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #34
WERKE
President Directeur General
 
WERKE's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

Posts: 156
iTrader: (1)

Look incredible; you'r the man
__________________
ESS VT1-535, Remus race
WERKE is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #35
Malek@MRF
Brigadier General
 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,364
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
My eibach Prokits were *waay* lower than ZCP, almost 1/2", more than a full "finger" of wheel gap, both front and rear. ZCP is about the same as my Dinan setup, after it settled.

Well, half an inch to 1 finger change in ride height is really a minor change. Like I said, its not substantial enough to warrant the change.

The ZCP springs are better suited to the EDC ZCP shocks as well. The H&R's are a far better choice for ZCP cars as far as aesthetics and performance.
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 09:17 PM   #36
Malek@MRF
Brigadier General
 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,364
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
I wonder if the ZCP has a different fender liner, this is where my car rubbed too.
The fender liners are the exact same. There is no difference.

Your car may have different alignment settings than my car which will slightly effect lock to lock clearance inside the wheel well.

I can rack up the car sometime soon and get you my settings if it helps at all.
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #37
WolfeS2K
Second Lieutenant
 
WolfeS2K's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Interlagos Blue M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA

Posts: 267
iTrader: (10)

SICK......Good Job!
__________________

^Welcome to the China Club^ says the Bartender
WolfeS2K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #38
WolfeS2K
Second Lieutenant
 
WolfeS2K's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Interlagos Blue M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA

Posts: 267
iTrader: (10)

[/quote]

My favorite...could use some better lighting but who cares!!
__________________

^Welcome to the China Club^ says the Bartender
WolfeS2K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #39
Dntlvet
Dntlvet
 
Dntlvet's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 M3 Sedan,13 GT-R BE,13 Pors
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wisconsin

Posts: 448
iTrader: (0)

nice
Dntlvet is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #40
kitw
Colonel
 
kitw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 2,435
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11 View Post
Well, half an inch to 1 finger change in ride height is really a minor change. Like I said, its not substantial enough to warrant the change.

The ZCP springs are better suited to the EDC ZCP shocks as well. The H&R's are a far better choice for ZCP cars as far as aesthetics and performance.
Have you looked at your front suspension to see how much travel you have left before you hit the stock? The ZCP suspension I measured had the same amount of travel as the regular car (due to a slightly shorter strut) which was 3/4". The H&R lower the car by over an inch, which means even with the shortened upper mounts, you are on the stops. That's why I wouldn't run H&Rs on any E9x.

The Eibachs with E36 M3 bumpstops on my regular EDC struts (about 1/4" longer than your ZCP struts in the front) had about 1/4" of travel before the stops. (3/4" travel + 1/2" from the e36 M3 bumpstop - 1" from the Eibachs) With shaved upper mounts, you have 1/2" which is almost enough. The Dinan suspension has 3/4" + 1/2" from the e36 m3 bumpstops + 1/4" from shaved upper mounts, - 3/4" lowering = stock travel)

I run -1.9 degrees of camber and zero toe up front. The tires don't rub on the side (and stock calls for a touch of toe in for stability up front). I didn't change SAI or caster.

You might have better roads where you around, I'd say 80% of the time, my Eibachs rode just fine. It was the larger bumps that really upset the car, the EDC shocks don't have enough rebound damping to control that much bumpstop usage. (since our stops are nice and progressive, they load up, but with the car that low, they loaded up too quickly.)

BTW... aesthetically, I really like the stance of your car. I just wish running that low was practical, I don't think I could run much thinner a stack height in the front without rubbing.
kitw is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2011, 02:12 AM   #41
Malek@MRF
Brigadier General
 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,364
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
Have you looked at your front suspension to see how much travel you have left before you hit the stock? The ZCP suspension I measured had the same amount of travel as the regular car (due to a slightly shorter strut) which was 3/4". The H&R lower the car by over an inch, which means even with the shortened upper mounts, you are on the stops. That's why I wouldn't run H&Rs on any E9x.

The Eibachs with E36 M3 bumpstops on my regular EDC struts (about 1/4" longer than your ZCP struts in the front) had about 1/4" of travel before the stops. (3/4" travel + 1/2" from the e36 M3 bumpstop - 1" from the Eibachs) With shaved upper mounts, you have 1/2" which is almost enough. The Dinan suspension has 3/4" + 1/2" from the e36 m3 bumpstops + 1/4" from shaved upper mounts, - 3/4" lowering = stock travel)

I run -1.9 degrees of camber and zero toe up front. The tires don't rub on the side (and stock calls for a touch of toe in for stability up front). I didn't change SAI or caster.

You might have better roads where you around, I'd say 80% of the time, my Eibachs rode just fine. It was the larger bumps that really upset the car, the EDC shocks don't have enough rebound damping to control that much bumpstop usage. (since our stops are nice and progressive, they load up, but with the car that low, they loaded up too quickly.)

BTW... aesthetically, I really like the stance of your car. I just wish running that low was practical, I don't think I could run much thinner a stack height in the front without rubbing.
There is a measured 13-14mm of shock travel on the front struts before it hits the stops. That is a good amount of functional travel for these dampers. We have done hours of extensive research on this aspect and would not be recommending this to the community if it made the car worse.

The car is not on the stops when at static position. Every car will hit the stops at some point, even stock. It is engineered this way. The factory stop is part of the suspension, they are not only used a safety measure for the dampers.

To make a clarification, the car is equipped with E36 M3 stops, modified supports, not one or the other.

If you were local, I could show you.

-Malek
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #42
Mark's M
Captain
 
Mark's M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 X5 35i but MISSING the M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stoney Creek, ON

Posts: 826
iTrader: (2)

Wow....love it!!! Very, very nicely done.
Mark's M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #43
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,795
iTrader: (3)

Looks great. Pictures never capture this properly either; bet it looks incredible in person. Did you do it more for looks or the track?
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #44
Malek@MRF
Brigadier General
 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,364
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Looks great. Pictures never capture this properly either; bet it looks incredible in person. Did you do it more for looks or the track?
A little combination of both. I knew that this setup would give the M3 additional grip up front and it was greatly for performance. I love the fact that it feels more athletic and willing now compared to before. The car feels like it is on its toes and responds better to my inputs and where I want it to go. While I was at it, I wanted to do something new, never done before and refreshing (to me at least). I have always had silver, polished or machined wheels, so I just wanted to step away from the standard classy timeless silver look.

It suits the car better this way aesthetically because my side grills are gloss black, the kidneys are gloss black, it has the BMW performance MkII spoiler and the stock shadow-line trim is gloss black. I just wanted the car to have a central consistent theme, and this was a good way to top it off for now. I will take better pictures. Just been swamped getting things ready for MFest and my booth at Bimmerfest.

I hope that explains my reasoning a little better.

-Malek
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST