BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

ESS Tuning

04-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #23
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

^-- I think you got me beat. I'll be commenting on a performance one soon as well. Then most likely a performance one with secondary cat delete.
      04-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #24
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1204 View Post
How did you like AA when you just had the signature section? Did it drone a lot? How was it after you got the X-pipe and HFC? If i got the AA and later wanted to get an x-pipe for more power would it become obnoxiously loud or raspy at all? How did the x-pipe and HFC affect the supposed "drone" AA has? AA now + x-pipe later is starting to sound like a good idea... with HFC did the car smell? The primary cat is what robs us of power in the M3 correct? Do HFC replace the primary cat? Slightly confused.
I only had full system when I had AA. HFCs replace primary cats and there was very little smell (not like catless). It didnt really drone I just thought after it broke in for a few thousand miles it got a bit loud for me on long highway trips (over 45 minutes or so). I miss it sometimes though cause cruising around town the sound was amazing. A strong exotic sound. I actually like it better than the more "hollow" sound you get from titanium exhausts. Only issue I had was sometimes the HFCs would throw a CEL.
      04-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #25
Drew1204
Private

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
The only M3 exhausts that I've heard that are raspy, aside from some of the crappy straight pipes and custom jobs, are only raspy on startup. And, pretty much all exhausts are raspy on cold start.

You gotta hear exhausts in person, in my opinion, or at least have heard an exhaust shot by the same mic. There is just too much variance.

I've had:

Magnaflow
Corsa
Autobahn Exotics
Vanguard
Vanguard + Fabspeed X pipe (stock cats)
Akrapovic slip on + Fabspeed X pipe
Akrapovic slip on
Akrapovic Evolution
Challenge Sport X pipe + Akrapovic Slip on
Challenge Sport X pipe + Arqray titanium

I've gone back the Akrapovic as being the best combination of power, looks, fit and sound. The Magnaflow was insanely too loud. the Corsa sounded the best to me with the most melodious tone, but was by far the ugliest exhaust on the planet. The AE was smooth and bassy, but a little too loud at 2k rpm. The Vanguard was nice sounding and light. The Akrapovic is quiet no matter what X pipe is in front of it... and it screams at high rpms. The Arqray was great as a catback/slip on but was too bassy with the Challenge X pipe. Really screamed up high, though.

The key is to decide whether or not you want to do an X pipe and choose your rear section accordingly. If you don't want something that drones, wanting an x pipe in the future limits your choices a bit.

Hopefully Morristown BMW comes through, and I'll be able to post a review of the BMW performance exhaust compared to all of the above soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
I only had full system when I had AA. HFCs replace primary cats and there was very little smell (not like catless). It didnt really drone I just thought after it broke in for a few thousand miles it got a bit loud for me on long highway trips (over 45 minutes or so). I miss it sometimes though cause cruising around town the sound was amazing. A strong exotic sound. I actually like it better than the more "hollow" sound you get from titanium exhausts. Only issue I had was sometimes the HFCs would throw a CEL.

So let's say I were to know that I want an X-pipe after getting the catback a few months down the road. How does that change things with what I am looking for? Would AA and meisterchaft still be good choices or should I look at something else if I want to include an x-pipe?

I found this comparo on youtube of AA sig vs AA sig + challenge xpipe. Is this accurate? Doesn't really sound a lot different. Is the power gained from X-pipe worth the cost?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Last edited by Drew1204; 04-14-2011 at 01:34 PM.
      04-15-2011, 01:51 AM   #26
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia

Drives: M3 Saloon

Quote:
Do you think the meisterchaft is "loud?" is the M3 your daily driver? Is it comfortable cruising at 70mph for 2 hours?
The GT is perfectly comfortable. No issues, at all. I don't even notice it at freeway speeds - it's never a thought, ever. And the sound, I feel is STILL the best sound available. I absolutely LOVE my GT. And I'm nearly impossible to please. Haha.
      04-15-2011, 02:38 AM   #27
HellaFunctional
Gangsta Steez

Drives: Like An Asian

akra gt4
nothing above it
HellaFunctional is offline   Vietnam
      04-15-2011, 04:54 AM   #28
Drew1204
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP1KRR View Post
The GT is perfectly comfortable. No issues, at all. I don't even notice it at freeway speeds - it's never a thought, ever. And the sound, I feel is STILL the best sound available. I absolutely LOVE my GT. And I'm nearly impossible to please. Haha.
Hows the quality? That seems to be a main selling point that people like to nit pick meisterchaft for? Was there some problem with the exhaust? Any drone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaFunctional View Post
akra gt4
nothing above it
Ill have to check it out. Thanks
      04-15-2011, 05:28 AM   #29
markjord
Second Lieutenant

Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black

Like you (op) I did a lot of research but, being in the UK, could not find anything to listen to in real life. I have ordered an Eis Race though based on the vids and, more importantly, the opinions of the people on this forum. Not heard anything bad about it and can't wait to get it on the car.
markjord is offline   United Kingdom
      04-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #30
ase93
ASE93

Drives: E93 M3

Search fabspeed. I have it on mine and sounded great right when I put it on and has progressively gotten louder over the past 1000 miles
      04-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #31
kitw
Colonel

Drives: 2015 MW M3/2011 E90 M3

Quote:

I found this comparo on youtube of AA sig vs AA sig + challenge xpipe. Is this accurate? Doesn't really sound a lot different. Is the power gained from X-pipe worth the cost?

Thanks for all the help so far!

It depends. Power gained from deleting the front cats is significant and immediately noticeable. Power gained from deleting the rear cats is... there, but not huge. If there is a drone, it definitely amplifies it to an extreme. If exhaust doesn't drone, it just makes it a bit louder overall. My Akrapovic Evolution has the same overall tone as the slip on, just louder and a few more interesting tones up top.
      04-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #32
protein
Private First Class

Drives: 11 e92 M3 ZCP

In my opinion, no rear section exhaust is going to come anywhere near as loud as your Cobra. Heck, I came to my M3 from an STI with a 3 inch turbo back exhaust and the Remus Race rear section I have on now seems quiet to me compared to the Subaru. I love the Remus Race, great value. That being said, I can't shake my love for the GT.
      04-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #33
nuzey
Private First Class

I had Fabspeed x-pipe and AA Sig for a month. It sounds deep at low rpm but won't be high pitched at high rpm unless you go WOT.

Then I had the AA switched to GT. The sound is really amazing. Nothing sounds like it. Got lots and lots of compliments. Even my SA loves it If you want high pitch, you should go GT.
      04-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #34
kitw
Colonel

Drives: 2015 MW M3/2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Morristown is good. I ordered some parts from them and them within a day or two. I originally posted about that pricing.

Thanks! yeah, they got info to me and my exhaust will be here this week.
      04-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #35
erm324
Major

Drives: M3

Dont pair a Meisterschaft exhaust with a full catless xpipe....going to be WAY too loud...

I originally had the Meisterschaft GT2 with gintani catless xpipe.....too raspy and annoyingly loud.

I now have the gintani sport exhaust with the gintani catless xpipe and it is hands down imho the best looking/sounding/performing system out there. Next to any other exhaust it makes the other tips look too small (even my meisterschaft with the split tips)....the dual-wall tips are 90mm, and at first I thought it would be way too big, but after installing it I couldnt imagine having tips any smaller. And the power gains are noticeable immediately, with the sound being loud when you want it to be but tameable when you dont. Its the best of both worlds....but yet again, its all about personal preference.
erm324 is offline   No_Country
      04-25-2011, 02:05 AM   #36
VCP
Lieutenant

Drives: F82 / E92

AA sounds like the one for you. heres a video of AA hfc xpip and aa rear mufflers. the sound has gotten deeper after some miles on it. the adjustable tips are nice. goodluck

VCP is online now   Canada
      04-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #37
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure

Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

I have the Meisterschaft GT on my car for the last year and it's my daily driver. I absolutely love it! It's got the best tone, pitch and volume IMO and puts a smile on face everyday. Even my bro who drives a C63 says it sounds awesome.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
MMMorish is offline   Canada
      06-15-2011, 01:30 AM   #38
Drew1204
Private

I have commited to buying a meisterchaft GT, and had a few quick questions about x-pipes for this particular exhaust.

are there any x-pipes for this car that don't make it too loud?

Perhaps just getting turner test pipes with tune for CEL + meisterchaft GT would be best bet? Would this be raspy? I hate raspyness, just looking for HIGHEST PITCH while still getting POWER from the x-pipe or basically primary cat delete...

Andrew
      06-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #39
e92Mjunky
Second Lieutenant

Drives: New wife Alpine CF E92 M3

ours will be out next month $1900

08' DCT CF Roof, nothing to fancy
custom magnaflow exhaust amd drop in filter
e92Mjunky is offline   United_States