BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

12-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
young dude
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Unhappy 2013 M3 Engine Clicking Sound?

I'm probably gonna make a name for myself on the forum as the most OCD prospective used M3 buyer, but I gotta ask this question..

The 2013 M3 I'm looking at (and posted 2 threads about already ), when the car is started, and hood popped up, you could hear the faintest clicking noise coming from either side of the engine. I mean, you mostly hear the amazing growl of the S65 V8, but the high frequency clicking sound is discernible. The car drove great according to both myself and the independent mechanic that did that PPI, and he had no fuss about it when I mentioned the noise. Car's great according to him.

When I first bought my used 2007 328i in 2010, I vaguely remember that sound as well, so I'm probably just overthinking.

Am I just being OCD? It's the second car I test drove (and did PPI on), but I didn't pop the hood and listen to the engine on the first one. Anyway, any input would be helpful, even if it's just to tell me that I'm crazy!

Really trying hard to join the club here!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
CIFUM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

It's the injectors. Normal
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #3
WingZeroX5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Does it sound like this in my thread? if it does you have nothing to worry about

2009 E90 100K mile maintenance completed http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262455
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
young dude
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
Does it sound like this in my thread? if it does you have nothing to worry about

2009 E90 100K mile maintenance completed http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262455

Awesome.. that's EXACTLY the sound, nice car btw! Glad to see some evidence of the M3s' reliability, which is reputedly good already.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
kamber
Sedan Man
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by young dude View Post
Awesome.. that's EXACTLY the sound, nice car btw! Glad to see some evidence of the M3s' reliability, which is reputedly good already.
Normal. I was worried about it too when I first bought my car, because one of the symptoms of rob-bearing-failure is a certain type of "ticking". The sound in his video, is not the RBF ticking, so if your's sounds exactly like that you should be fine. My car sounds the same as the one in the video, and it had rob bearings done ~20k miles ago.

Be aware though, that the rod bearings used in the latter production years seem to be more susceptible to failure and at lower mileage than the older production years that utilized lead/copper bearings. You may want to get rod bearings done sooner rather than later for peace of mind if you're planning on long term ownership and/or will not have a warranty covering engine related failures. Granted, take all this with a grain of salt, as its kind of a crapshoot as to whether it's necessary or not; I'm sure the vast majority of M3's don't suffer RBF and most of what you see on the forums in regards to it is somewhat blown out of proportion/magnified to a degree. If you'd like to know more, there are AMPLE threads on here, just have to use the search function.

Good luck with your purchase!

Last edited by kamber; 12-01-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #6
Landru
Apex. Clean. Repeat.
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

When I first bought my M3, every noise scared me.

But now, I sum it up to this car basically has a motorsport engine in it. It makes racecar mechanical noises.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 11:03 PM   #7
S65-M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamber View Post
Normal. I was worried about it too when I first bought my car, because one of the symptoms of rob-bearing-failure is a certain type of "ticking". The sound in his video, is not the RBF ticking, so if your's sounds exactly like that you should be fine. My car sounds the same as the one in the video, and it had rob bearings done ~20k miles ago.

Be aware though, that the rod bearings used in the latter production years seem to be more susceptible to failure and at lower mileage than the older production years that utilized lead/copper bearings. You may want to get rod bearings done sooner rather than later for peace of mind if you're planning on long term ownership and/or will not have a warranty covering engine related failures. Granted, take all this with a grain of salt, as its kind of a crapshoot as to whether it's necessary or not; I'm sure the vast majority of M3's don't suffer RBF and most of what you see on the forums in regards to it is somewhat blown out of proportion/magnified to a degree. If you'd like to know more, there are AMPLE threads on here, just have to use the search function.

Good luck with your purchase!
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
JoeM3SSII
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP individual interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65-M3 View Post
+1
Absolutely normal for the M3 engine. To put your mind completely at ease when i took delivery of my factory ordered M3 inside the Welt museum in Munich and started the engine for the first time, if that car was not fresh out of the factory I would have thought it was a 150k used engine clicking and making all kinds of noises that i was not used to and would have walked away.
Appreciate 0