BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source

03-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
mermar
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2011 e90 M3 AW

new member - just bought a Mint 2011 e90 M3 - a few questions...

So glad to be here ! Seems like an active board of M3 owners. Moving on from a AW 535xi sport

Bought my M3 from a 50+ year old owner, one of several cars he has, 3300 miles. Alpine White, Premium 2, Premium Sound, Nav, Comfort Access, DCT, Cold Weather and last but not least Competition Package. Smells new inside and is 100% stock.

Bought it but the local roads are too icy / snow covered to drive it home. May be a week before I take possession (think of the anticipation). Almost looks too clean to drive!

Perhaps I am showing my age (late 40's) - but I just think that, while the new 2015 M3 will be faster, bigger, etc.. - there is something truly special about the S65 engine. It just doesn’t seem like an engine that could land in a high volume production car (a sedan no less). Im generally not nostalgic but I think that this engine, with its sounds and throttle response - will be one to tell my grandkids about. IMHO the S65 is the pinnacle of the "achievable" NA engines (Ferrari is not achievable). In summary – it is a ‘special’ engine.
I know BMW fan boys are known for their longing of the past - I think this time might be real. I just felt I owed it to myself as a car nut to live with this vehicle for a few years and keep those memories with me to reflect on when I turn 75 and in a 7 series.

Also, I think this model - especially a 2011 (given its the 4th MY of the E9x - should be fairly reliable).

Silly excited to move from a 535xi to this monster of a vehicle. I'm not sure I have ever read about a more favorably reviewed sports car in this price range. auto journos have even stated it is "the perfect high performance car"...

Need to get it in for its second oil change (first done at 1260 miles) - due to time - obviously not miles. Also will have the dealer check for any open campaigns. There may have been an idle valve update that I have read about.

Your knowledge needed - Im somewhat confused as to the capabilities of this model year's connected drive capabilities – anybody care to elaborate? My build date is 10/2010 - so I am pre next gen (S6NR) combox. I have S6VCA and S615A, S616A (extended on-line services??).
Can I bluetooth stream music?
I dont think I can tether my iphone and have some Google search capabilities (Combox), BMW Apps- as nothing of the sort jumped out at me when I very briefly fiddled with the idrive menus (not sure if on-line capabilities are within Office or another iDrive menu item). I thought there was some sort of Google local search...
Im already familiar with the BMW iphone app and assume that should work fine given it worked on my 2009 535.
I see members here with BMW Apps listed in their signature with 2011 MY M3’s. Perhaps they are post 3/11 build and have the S6NR.

Going to try and avoid mods as I wont to keep it original - if someone suggests a "no brainer" mod - Im anxious to learn. I have done some research already and seems like clear bra and exhaust are the popular items. Im considering some Lux v4's - so long as they look fairly oem and not like a slammed honda. I will live with the exhaust sound for a while - but maybe a bmw performance exhaust might be nice as it is oem - but I dont want any RICE'ness.

Likely this will be a summer only car as winters here are brutal and just hard on everything (tons of salt, sand, ice, sliding into curbs, etc...)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: F10 535, E90 M3, E30 M3

Garage List
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [4.89]
2008 X5  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [5.00]
OP, Congrats on your purchase and welcome! Sounds like a good find. I can't answer your questions, most of my mods have been engine and suspension. I respect your desire to keep the M3 close to stock - it's a fantastic car stock and very capable. Enjoy!

BTW, the S65 engine is awesome!

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R6 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes

Last edited by CBS; 03-06-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Amirsm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Wow, nice pickup there. My 2011 is pre 3/11 and I can stream music from pandora over bluetooth. I can only vouch for iPhone 5S' with the current iOS 7.x loaded on my phone. My girlfriend's Samsung GS4 also streams without issue as well.
2011 e90 M3 Space Grey DCT- black eAs gills/grilles, eAs H8 LED Corona bulbs, BMW carbon fiber mirror caps, Agency Power CF elbow, MS 12f/12r spacers, Alex@AlpineMSS DCT Flash, iND reflectors, Milltek slip-on, F10 M5 front brakes, BMW Perf. steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Congrats OP! You're not showing your age thinking the S65 is special. I'm 27 and have absolutely no desire to get the next M3/4. Even if it were free to upgrade (which it obviously wouldn't be), as much as I'd want the weight savings since I go to the track, I wouldn't give up the S65 for it. I'm thinking more and more that I'll be keeping this car long-term, and even if I don't, it (sadly) won't be because I bought another BMW.

Now, as for your questions. Your car has Combox, but not BMW Apps. That means that you can indeed stream music over Bluetooth as long as your phone supports it, which basically any smartphone will (and you can directly connect your phone using just a USB cable rather than a Y-cable). Over Bluetooth, you'll be able to see track metadata and skip tracks back and forth, but you will NOT be able to browse your playlists and such the way you would if you plugged in. That appears to be because iDrive doesn't support AVRCP 1.4, which is the revision that added media library browsing support over Bluetooth support. With a direct connection, at least on iOS devices you'll see album art onscreen. I'm not sure about Android.

BMW Apps isn't that big a deal. The only apps I'm aware of that even take advantage of it are Pandora, MOG Radio, Glympse, and BMW M Laptimer. All it does is allow you to control those apps from iDrive, but you have to have your phone connected over USB and have that app actually running in the foreground (that's because of an iOS limitation). And I'm not even sure which if any of those apps work with BMW Apps on Android. You're not missing out on a whole lot there.

The online services you're referring to aren't the ability to tether your car to your phone and browse the Internet from your car. That's been available in overseas BMWs for a while but hasn't been brought to the US. I've seen some people retrofit those features, but personally I don't see the point. I spend far too much time in front of computers as it is (by choice or otherwise), and I have no desire to pollute the experience of my M3 by turning it into yet another delivery mechanism. That's also why I don't have iDrive configured to display emails from my phone, even though that too is possible with Combox; I'm plagued enough by email as it is. In any case, I have the same online services option codes you mention on my own build sheet, and if I had to guess I'd say they probably have something to do with BMW Assist and the ability to do things like book service appointments with your dealer and transmit trouble codes from the car.

As for mods, there aren't any literal no-brainers. Some people have cosmetic mods they consider obvious (body color sidemarkers, blacked out grille, LED angel eyes), some have cosmetic/functional mods (F10 M5 or E46 ZHP shift knob, potentially paired with a short shift kit), and then there are of course performance mods depending on your intentions with the car. Since I track mine, that's where I've put almost all of my mod money. The only exceptions for me were tint (necessity in Texas), clear bra (I considered it a necessity due to the soft paint BMW uses after seeing what my front bumper looked like after only 6 months), and the ModMyNav rearview camera since my previous car had a camera and it spoiled me, plus it helps you get into tight parallel parking spaces without having to "park by touch", so to speak.

I avoided the LED angel eyes and was relieved the M3 didn't get them with LCI because having seen them on the 2012 series cars, they're so bright that they pull focus from the entire rest of the car and caused me to fixate just on those lights rather than enjoy the overall styling of the car as a whole. I also think the halogen bulbs are a bit more "organic", like there's a beast within, as opposed to the colder LED lights that make me think of a cyborg. Plus it's cool to watch the halogens fade up when you unlock the doors at night -- again, like a sleeping beast waking up and opening its eyes because you pressed the fob unlock button. That's why even though I have Comfort Access I press the fob button at night if I'm approaching the car from the front. Just my own opinion, of course. Plenty of people will disagree.

Enjoy your new beast OP!
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 03-06-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Wah
Red Hot Riplet
United_States
Rep

Drives: '15 F82 M4

Congrats...you might want to consider LUX angel eyes to get rid of the ugly yellow corona rings on the E9x M3. It looks so much better and still looks stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
roastbeef
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Congrats on the car. Based on how you describe and articulate why this car and engine are special- you are like me and are really going to enjoy driving this car.

Favorite aesthetic mods would be painted reflectors, blacked out grill/gills, an exhaust that enhances the wonderful sound, and the M performance rear spoiler.
      03-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Congrats and ENJOY!
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan free flow exhaust | Dinan performance engine software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio upgrade | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10 et 20 | Michelin PSS 245/30/20 and 275/30/20 | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Nice. Many people here share the same feelings about the s65.
      03-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
ibmike
What the Hell ?
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 e92 DCT

Nice, But Bro=
      03-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #10
mermar
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for info!!

OP here - thanks for excellent feedback! jphaugen - the info you provided on connectivity was very helpful.

I agree that I dont need BMW Apps - I just wanted to do my homework to learn about what capabilities I have and dont. Music streaming (as a Rhapsody subscriber) will be nice.

In my current 535 - I needed the y Cable and leave a dedicated ipod in the car to serve as an always available source of music content. Seems the onboard HDD will replace that (store music when inserting a CD). I did not notice album art - but again - just a 60 second browse around iDrive. Glad to hear I will have it. The new iDrive screen is so much nicer than my 09 535 (split screen only).

Sort of silly question here - given the drivers side hood cold air intake is a direct port into the airbox - any special precautions you guys take when washing the car. (Bit of a detailing geek) I assume our engineer friends in Germany more than accounted for water entering - but just curious.

In Minnesota 93 octane gas is easy to find - and with the generally cool temps - I think the S65 will be happy.

Both E90 and E92 are stunning cars to look at - I think the E92 wears the Comp Package a bit better - and who doesnt love the carbon roof. But there are times that I 'must' have three seat belts in the back ((car-pool my sons' (only 11 years old so they still fit fine) friends and teammates on occasion)).

Speaking of sunsetting NA engines (seem to be 100% gone in BMW new cars now?!) - I am a major F1 fan ... and the death of the screaming NA v8 has me a bit worried. I go every year (season tickets - first row_first turn) to the GP in Montreal CA. Man I am going to be bummed if the new turbo/hybrid power unit does not sound 'special'.

I have read here about a OEM exhaust mod - but not sure what that includes. Look forward to hearing the BMW performance exhaust in person.

For this car - I may spend any mod dollars on a nice extended warranty (my warranty expires 3/15/2015) instead of things that may hurt the value.

Lastly, as a cyclist (road and XC MTB) - I plan to keep a moving blanket in the trunk and just slip the bike in the fold down rear seat area- easy as fishin'.

Cant wait to config my M button for the first time...

Again - thanks a bunch for your consel..

Mermar
BMCCA

Last edited by mermar; 03-06-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
mermar
Private First Class
Rep

pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
Nice, But Bro=
OP here..I know my friend - but note that I am not in possession of the car yet - bought and paid for but it was -17F here Monday morning. Ice everywhere. Not worth buying winter tires for three weeks use.

Once home and properly ready to be presented - will capture it with my DSLR.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #12
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
Sort of silly question here - given the drivers side hood cold air intake is a direct port into the airbox - any special precautions you guys take when washing the car. (Bit of a detailing geek) I assume our engineer friends in Germany more than accounted for water entering - but just curious.

I have read here about a OEM exhaust mod - but not sure what that includes. Look forward to hearing the BMW performance exhaust in person.
Cant wait to config my M button for the first time...

Again - thanks a bunch for your consel..
That hood grille is a problem and a crazy oversight from BMW; you actually can't even drive this car in the rain because otherwise it will hydrolock.

I'm just kidding OP! There's a drainage gap in there before it reaches the engine, so no worries whatsoever. And fyi that's not an intake; it's a vent.

There are some DIYs for the OEM exhaust mod; basically involves a bit of cutting and welding to remove some stuff from the OEM exhaust. Less expensive than a brand new exhaust and actually sounds pretty sweet having heard it myself on a few cars. I still like the stock exhaust though. It has a bit of that muscle car sound down low and still screams a bit like an F1 engine up high, especially if you hear it from the outside. The aftermarket exhausts all seem to focus more on the grunt side of that dichotomy.

As for the M button, I personally set my throttle to Normal (I find the linear throttle better for faster precision driving) and EDC on Normal since I have a non-ZCP car, and steering on Sport since I feel the weightier steering makes me smoother on inputs. For cruising around town I use throttle on Sport (makes the car feel faster and a twitchy throttle is fine for casual driving) and EDC on Comfort. Enjoy!
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Yoko AD08 R | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
Reedomn
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1M

Welcome and Congrats!....I assume you will be attending cars and coffee this summer at the Autoplex....always room for another M car........
Sold -1991 Black e34 M5..Sold-1995 Black e36 M3
Sadly Sold- Henna Red e30 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #14
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
So glad to be here !

Bought my M3 from a 50+ year old owner, one of several cars he has, 3300 miles. Alpine White, Premium 2, Premium Sound, Nav, Comfort Access, DCT, Cold Weather and last but not least Competition Package. Smells new inside and is 100% stock.
Congrats and welcome! Sounds like you got a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
I avoided the LED angel eyes and was relieved the M3 didn't get them with LCI because having seen them on the 2012 series cars, they're so bright that they pull focus from the entire rest of the car and caused me to fixate just on those lights rather than enjoy the overall styling of the car as a whole. I also think the halogen bulbs are a bit more "organic", like there's a beast within, as opposed to the colder LED lights that make me think of a cyborg. Plus it's cool to watch the halogens fade up when you unlock the doors at night -- again, like a sleeping beast waking up and opening its eyes because you pressed the fob unlock button. That's why even though I have Comfort Access I press the fob button at night if I'm approaching the car from the front. Just my own opinion, of course. Plenty of people will disagree.
It might just be the two of us, but another thing I like about the old style halos is that it has a connection to older BMWs, like the E39 M5. Since our car might be the last naturally-aspirated M car, I like this connection to the past better than trying to update my car to be more like the new, changing face of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #15
mermar
Private First Class
Rep

So Chris Harris said the Saloon was definately the M3 of choice...? I have watched a video of him getting a new M3 Coupe - and driving it on the 'ring in the wet. Good to hear he likes the Sedan.
      03-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #16
BMWNTHZST
Enthusiast
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
Congratualtions!

Post pics once you get it home.
2004 E46 ///M3 Laguna Seca Blue / Black
2011 E92 ///M3 Alpine White / Black (gone but not forgotten )
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #17
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar
So Chris Harris said the Saloon was definately the M3 of choice...? I have watched a video of him getting a new M3 Coupe - and driving it on the 'ring in the wet. Good to hear he likes the Sedan.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853137

Make sure to watch all the way to the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #18
ibmike
What the Hell ?
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 e92 DCT

Quote:
OP here..I know my friend - but note that I am not in possession of the car yet - bought and paid for but it was -17F here Monday morning. Ice everywhere. Not worth buying winter tires for three weeks use.

Once home and properly ready to be presented - will capture it with my DSLR.
Guess i shoulda read more then just the " Bought a Mint 2011 M3" lol.
      03-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #19
Petros
Banned
Rep

Drives: M3

congrats, and you should heed the advice. the stock exhaust sounds like crap. either an aftermarket exhaust or at least the oem exhaust mod is mandatory to enjoy the sound of that engine
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #20
DTM Fan
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: Supercharged E92 M3

Congrats and welcome!
///Active Autowerke Supercharger, Akrapovic GT4, KW Clubsport Coilovers, Stoptech BBK, Volk TE37SL, Macht Schnell stud conversion, LTMW 1M Bumper, SLEK 1M Splitter, Vorsteiner Carbon Trunk, Lux Angel Eyes, iND interior/exterior cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:27 PM   #21
Jive
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: my gf crazy

Congrats on the new car OP, enjoy in good health!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
And fyi that's not an intake; it's a vent.
Its both actually. I had a long strand of hair stuck on my driver side hood grill so for a couple days I observed it. At anything other than wide open throttle, the hair (and excess air) flows outward. At WOT, the hair would be sucked into the vent.
      03-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #22
TTSam
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
Congrats...you might want to consider LUX angel eyes to get rid of the ugly yellow corona rings on the E9x M3. It looks so much better and still looks stock.
+1 on the angel eyes - they change the look to more current (white smile instead of yellow teeth!).

I have only done minor mods as well, that improve the look in my opinion of an AW - black grills, CF mirror caps. I only got those because some idiot smashed my stock mirror covers. I also did the CF splitters.
Appreciate 0