BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
young dude
New Member
1
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Midwest US

iTrader: (0)

Unhappy 2013 M3 Engine Clicking Sound?

I'm probably gonna make a name for myself on the forum as the most OCD prospective used M3 buyer, but I gotta ask this question..

The 2013 M3 I'm looking at (and posted 2 threads about already ), when the car is started, and hood popped up, you could hear the faintest clicking noise coming from either side of the engine. I mean, you mostly hear the amazing growl of the S65 V8, but the high frequency clicking sound is discernible. The car drove great according to both myself and the independent mechanic that did that PPI, and he had no fuss about it when I mentioned the noise. Car's great according to him.

When I first bought my used 2007 328i in 2010, I vaguely remember that sound as well, so I'm probably just overthinking.

Am I just being OCD? It's the second car I test drove (and did PPI on), but I didn't pop the hood and listen to the engine on the first one. Anyway, any input would be helpful, even if it's just to tell me that I'm crazy!

Really trying hard to join the club here!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
CIFUM3
Captain
CIFUM3's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
973
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chandler AZ

iTrader: (0)

It's the injectors. Normal
__________________
Performance
ESS 625 VT2 Supercharger - CAE Shifter - Revinora race+ axle back - Macht Schnell down pipes - SOSI X-pipe
Looks
M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #3
WingZeroX5
Lieutenant Colonel
WingZeroX5's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
1,688
Posts

Drives: 09 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (10)

Does it sound like this in my thread? if it does you have nothing to worry about

2009 E90 100K mile maintenance completed http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262455
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
young dude
New Member
1
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Midwest US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
Does it sound like this in my thread? if it does you have nothing to worry about

2009 E90 100K mile maintenance completed http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262455


Awesome.. that's EXACTLY the sound, nice car btw! Glad to see some evidence of the M3s' reliability, which is reputedly good already.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
kamber
Sedan Man
29
Rep
202
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by young dude View Post
Awesome.. that's EXACTLY the sound, nice car btw! Glad to see some evidence of the M3s' reliability, which is reputedly good already.
Normal. I was worried about it too when I first bought my car, because one of the symptoms of rob-bearing-failure is a certain type of "ticking". The sound in his video, is not the RBF ticking, so if your's sounds exactly like that you should be fine. My car sounds the same as the one in the video, and it had rob bearings done ~20k miles ago.

Be aware though, that the rod bearings used in the latter production years seem to be more susceptible to failure and at lower mileage than the older production years that utilized lead/copper bearings. You may want to get rod bearings done sooner rather than later for peace of mind if you're planning on long term ownership and/or will not have a warranty covering engine related failures. Granted, take all this with a grain of salt, as its kind of a crapshoot as to whether it's necessary or not; I'm sure the vast majority of M3's don't suffer RBF and most of what you see on the forums in regards to it is somewhat blown out of proportion/magnified to a degree. If you'd like to know more, there are AMPLE threads on here, just have to use the search function.

Good luck with your purchase!

Last edited by kamber; 12-01-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #6
Landru
Apex. Clean. Repeat.
Landru's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Hunt Valley, MD

iTrader: (0)

When I first bought my M3, every noise scared me.

But now, I sum it up to this car basically has a motorsport engine in it. It makes racecar mechanical noises.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 11:03 PM   #7
S65-M3
Captain
S65-M3's Avatar
42
Rep
799
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Renton

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamber View Post
Normal. I was worried about it too when I first bought my car, because one of the symptoms of rob-bearing-failure is a certain type of "ticking". The sound in his video, is not the RBF ticking, so if your's sounds exactly like that you should be fine. My car sounds the same as the one in the video, and it had rob bearings done ~20k miles ago.

Be aware though, that the rod bearings used in the latter production years seem to be more susceptible to failure and at lower mileage than the older production years that utilized lead/copper bearings. You may want to get rod bearings done sooner rather than later for peace of mind if you're planning on long term ownership and/or will not have a warranty covering engine related failures. Granted, take all this with a grain of salt, as its kind of a crapshoot as to whether it's necessary or not; I'm sure the vast majority of M3's don't suffer RBF and most of what you see on the forums in regards to it is somewhat blown out of proportion/magnified to a degree. If you'd like to know more, there are AMPLE threads on here, just have to use the search function.

Good luck with your purchase!
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
JoeM3SSII
Captain
101
Rep
604
Posts

Drives: M3 ZCP individual interior
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: reg

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65-M3 View Post
+1
Absolutely normal for the M3 engine. To put your mind completely at ease when i took delivery of my factory ordered M3 inside the Welt museum in Munich and started the engine for the first time, if that car was not fresh out of the factory I would have thought it was a 150k used engine clicking and making all kinds of noises that i was not used to and would have walked away.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST