BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
UNNATRAL
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 530
iTrader: (1)

CEL. OH NO!!!!!

it turned off. just a false alarm. no biggie.

Last edited by UNNATRAL; 04-03-2011 at 04:19 PM.
UNNATRAL is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
UNNATRAL
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 530
iTrader: (1)

bump this is really getting to me, i hope someone has an answer for me
UNNATRAL is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
geneatals
Ninja
 
geneatals's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

Posts: 3,202
iTrader: (2)

why not just take it into the dealer and have them scan the car for any fault codes? just for peace of mind sake..
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
geneatals is online now   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
 
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago IL

Posts: 5,830
iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Crazy Bimmer
Did it say "increased emissions" anywhere?

You should be fine. It will reset itself.
__________________
2009 E90 M3 - SOLD
Crazy Bimmer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
UNNATRAL
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 530
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
why not just take it into the dealer and have them scan the car for any fault codes? just for peace of mind sake..
i would man, but look at my signature...dont think they would like that very much
UNNATRAL is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #6
geneatals
Ninja
 
geneatals's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

Posts: 3,202
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNNATRAL View Post
i would man, but look at my signature...dont think they would like that very much
fair enough, any local indy shops or members that scan your car for you? with a BT tool or something...
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
geneatals is online now   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #7
UNNATRAL
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 530
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
Did it say "increased emissions" anywhere?

You should be fine. It will reset itself.
no it didnt. the car did not display ANY msgs at all. nothing. zilch. car drove the exact same before and after the light.
UNNATRAL is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #8
UNNATRAL
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 530
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
fair enough, any local indy shops or members that scan your car for you? with a BT tool or something...
yeah im going to ask my buddy to borrow his..
UNNATRAL is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 02:16 AM   #9
geneatals
Ninja
 
geneatals's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

Posts: 3,202
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNNATRAL View Post
yeah im going to ask my buddy to borrow his..
good luck..
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
geneatals is online now   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #10
py0413
Major
 
py0413's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M5
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC

Posts: 1,170
iTrader: (2)

I have CEL came on so many times that I can't even remember now but nothing mechanically ever went wrong with the car. Every single issue was with computer sensor. Stupid German computer@@
__________________
Must stop eating..............
py0413 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 06:35 AM   #11
turb934
First Lieutenant
 
turb934's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Posts: 325
iTrader: (0)

I take it you still have the stock exhaust. Just get the Cel cleared.
__________________
08 E92 Interlagos blue, AFE filter, AA X-Pipe & HFC, AA pulley, AA software V1.5, Eisenmann race, M Performance Steering Wheel II, Pagid RS19's, Stoptech SS brake hoses, RAC RG63 Silver, Motul 600, E93 front & rear stablizer bars, M3 Competition Package Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler, Vorsteiner GTS3 carbon fiber front bumper & vented hood.
turb934 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
Merlosso
Banned
 
Drives: Results
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Germantown, MD

Posts: 495
iTrader: (2)

When was the last time you put gas in the car? Could it be the gas cap is not tight?
Merlosso is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
Fsarc
Lieutenant
 
Fsarc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3 LMB
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BC-Northern NJ

Posts: 417
iTrader: (3)

It should be gone for good with the Akra Evo also. Although a CEL can be triggered for numerous reasons- you need to know what fault codes/shadow fault codes were triggered to be sure. Even if the CEL clears the next time you run the car, the fault codes will still be stored and you should know what they are.

Given your mods I would just buy a BT Scan tool and run monthly scans (that's what I do- BT Scan Tool works very well and can scan just about every module.) There are plenty of codes that can be triggered and stored without/or before triggering an iDrive or dash light warning. Plus when an unexpected CEL or other light triggers you can run an immediate scan and have an idea of what's happening, or at least have the codes that were triggered. Small investment to monitor an incredible build. Good luck.
Fsarc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
UNNATRAL
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 530
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsarc View Post
It should be gone for good with the Akra Evo also. Although a CEL can be triggered for numerous reasons- you need to know what fault codes/shadow fault codes were triggered to be sure. Even if the CEL clears the next time you run the car, the fault codes will still be stored and you should know what they are.

Given your mods I would just buy a BT Scan tool and run monthly scans (that's what I do- BT Scan Tool works very well and can scan just about every module.) There are plenty of codes that can be triggered and stored without/or before triggering an iDrive or dash light warning. Plus when an unexpected CEL or other light triggers you can run an immediate scan and have an idea of what's happening, or at least have the codes that were triggered. Small investment to monitor an incredible build. Good luck.
you couldnt be more right. thanks man I appreciate the help.
UNNATRAL is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
 
pmeloche's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal, Canada

Posts: 1,614
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
I have CEL came on so many times that I can't even remember now but nothing mechanically ever went wrong with the car. Every single issue was with computer sensor. Stupid German computer@@
Really? For me, each time the CEL light came on it was for some mechanical failures like O2 sensors or ignition coils. I guess we are at both ends of the spectrum.
__________________

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
pmeloche is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2011, 02:48 AM   #16
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,597
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
In 30,000 miles, my car has never thrown one fault code.

The o2 sensors are tuned off though, otherwise it would definitely code for cat efficiency within a few drive cycles.

It could have been something like the gas cap not being on tight.

It's always good to have a code scanner handy. It's possible that a shadow code is stored and only a BMW specific tool would be able to read that part of fault memory.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
UNNATRAL
Banned
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 530
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post
In 30,000 miles, my car has never thrown one fault code.

The o2 sensors are tuned off though, otherwise it would definitely code for cat efficiency within a few drive cycles.

It could have been something like the gas cap not being on tight.

It's always good to have a code scanner handy. It's possible that a shadow code is stored and only a BMW specific tool would be able to read that part of fault memory.
this was the first time in the 38,000km that are on the car that the CEL came on. I just panicked a bit. Im not new to CEL's though, I had a jeep grand cherokee before this car...............
UNNATRAL is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #18
persian54
Lieutenant General
 
persian54's Avatar
 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

Posts: 15,768
iTrader: (291)

you're pretty heavily modded... a CEL cannot be unheard of.. if you were stock that'd be a different story
persian54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST