BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Jred22
Meat Puppet
 
Jred22's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 1,127
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Home Theater help...

Hey guys, i'm pretty clueless when it comes to this stuff so i figured i'd ask for some input. I have a 52" tv (speakers don't work, and an xbox 360. That's it. I wanted to get a cheap home theater (5.1) setup for less than $300, not including the harmony one controller I'll be picking up. From my understanding i just need a receiver and some speakers, no? I was looking at this setup when i relaized it doesn;t have a bunch of video/audio inputs in the back for my xbox and TV. Any help would be appreciated guys thanks. PS I only use the setup for xbox and cable TV.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-LHB953-1000...2988504&sr=1-3
Jred22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

What are your interfaces coming from your XBox and cable box as far as audio is concerned?
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Jred22
Meat Puppet
 
Jred22's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 1,127
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
What are your interfaces coming from your XBox and cable box as far as audio is concerned?
i just have the regular component cables for cable and xbox.
Jred22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Well here are the connectors available:

1 x HDMI output ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) - rear 1 x component video output ( RCA phono x 3 ) - rear 1 x network ( RJ-45 ) - rear 1 x composite video output ( RCA phono ) - rear 1 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) - rear 1 x SPDIF input ( RCA phono ) - rear 1 x SPDIF input ( TOSLINK ) - rear 1 x USB ( 4 pin USB Type A ) - front 1 x IPod docking - front

Looks like you could make it work if you had a coax digital out from either the cable box or XBox and an optical input from the other but I don't know if you have those options available to you.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
NBRider88
I gave her my heart, she gave me crabs
 
NBRider88's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' 330i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: OC :]

Posts: 142
iTrader: (2)

$300 for a decent/nice 5.1 is going to be difficult I would assume. I have a very nice 2.1 setup that works greats. I picked it up for $160, but you can find deals for $125 +/-

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 - only down fall is no remote to change sound volume (You have to do it manually), which can be a pain in the ss. But I don't mind as I only use it for movies/xbox. Regular tv I just use the tv speakers.
__________________
NBRider88 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Jred22
Meat Puppet
 
Jred22's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 1,127
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
I guess i should be looking for a receiver and 5.1 not a dvd/bluray unit and 5.1. What do you think of this..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=1425154
Jred22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Jred22
Meat Puppet
 
Jred22's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 1,127
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Well here are the connectors available:

1 x HDMI output ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) - rear 1 x component video output ( RCA phono x 3 ) - rear 1 x network ( RJ-45 ) - rear 1 x composite video output ( RCA phono ) - rear 1 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) - rear 1 x SPDIF input ( RCA phono ) - rear 1 x SPDIF input ( TOSLINK ) - rear 1 x USB ( 4 pin USB Type A ) - front 1 x IPod docking - front

Looks like you could make it work if you had a coax digital out from either the cable box or XBox and an optical input from the other but I don't know if you have those options available to you.
I could do HDMI to the xbox, but i have to do component to the TV for cable.
Jred22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
Jred22
Meat Puppet
 
Jred22's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 1,127
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Okay, i think i found a winner here guys. This thing got amazing reviews and i'm pretty sure this is what i'm looking for. Lemme know what you think. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3300...931951&sr=1-11
Jred22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
darkcloud
Colonel
 
darkcloud's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 VW JSW
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: cleveland, oh

Posts: 2,387
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to darkcloud
is this your main viewing tv and do you use it often?

if so I'd spend a few more bucks. you don't have to go crazy but $300 just isn't going to cut it. $1k could get you a nice 5.1 speaker combo(definitive tech 800 series) and a decent receiver. this is personally what I have and it is more then good enough for most uses, actually kicks all my friends set ups asses and they could combine all their best shit into a super system and I'd still dominate.

If you want to stick with a htib setup look at onkyo's stuff.

of course monoprice.com to pick up hdmi/toslink, any cables for that matter.
__________________

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
darkcloud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Jred22
Meat Puppet
 
Jred22's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 1,127
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
is this your main viewing tv and do you use it often?

if so I'd spend a few more bucks. you don't have to go crazy but $300 just isn't going to cut it. $1k could get you a nice 5.1 speaker combo(definitive tech 800 series) and a decent receiver. this is personally what I have and it is more then good enough for most uses, actually kicks all my friends set ups asses and they could combine all their best shit into a super system and I'd still dominate.

If you want to stick with a htib setup look at onkyo's stuff.

of course monoprice.com to pick up hdmi/toslink, any cables for that matter.
I'm putting it in a small 1 bedroom apartment so i'm not trying to go too crazy, just something that sound nice in a small living room. Definitely going to look into the Onkyo gear some more.
Jred22 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
darkcloud
Colonel
 
darkcloud's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 VW JSW
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: cleveland, oh

Posts: 2,387
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to darkcloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred22 View Post
I'm putting it in a small 1 bedroom apartment so i'm not trying to go too crazy, just something that sound nice in a small living room. Definitely going to look into the Onkyo gear some more.
Replied to your PM.

I get what you're saying. I said the same thing when I bought the last setup I referred to in the PM, I ended up swapping out the speakers for the def tech 800's. If you did spend a little more it's not like the components go bad haha.
__________________

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
darkcloud is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST