BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GTB Performance

03-29-2011, 03:19 AM   #23
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General

Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
Weekend car, you probably should've got the GT3... but since you didn't, just try to DD your M3. I DD mine and love how great of an all around car it is. +style points
      03-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #24
jmflukeiii
Captain

Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooowowizstev View Post
Weekend car, you probably should've got the GT3... but since you didn't, just try to DD your M3. I DD mine and love how great of an all around car it is. +style points
I'd agree. This M3 is not a weekend car for me. I drive like a maniac to and from everything I do and need a solid car to get me there and back; for this purpose, the M3 is a great thing to have during the day. However, I bought this car knowing this would be daily driving vehicle. I baby it, but not like I baby a weekend car. I love it, but also respect the utility of it. So long story short, don't regret the decision.

Its another reason I got all the technology stuff on this car and a DCT; its quick as shit around town (and a track), but for a true weekend car, I want the car bone dry... maybe a radio. Other than a radio, just a man, a clutch, and a gear shift. That being said, I don't want that lack of stuff on a day to day basis, that would get annoying quickly. So the M3 is amazing and perfect for what I use it for. And a '99 550 Maranello is perfect for weekend flying; a man, a clutch, and car noise
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
      03-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #25
Nelrock
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I drive mine every chance I get. Love it.

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Nelrock is offline   United_States
      03-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #26
karussell
Major

Drives: 4 wheels

[quote=kpari09;9238069]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I love it, I think it's a great car but it's not GT3 and a 911 "S" is also better when it comes to performance/handling/precision/fun etc. Still, the M3 is a joy to drive, it looks great and is an amazing car.

A gt3 maybe but not a carrera s, handling wise, a carrera s can't hold a candle to the m3's handling. I've had extensive seat time in a 997s pdk and have driven it very hard through southern Cali canyons and although it's a bit faster than the m3 in a straight line, it does NOT handle better period. With all do respect, Please know what ur saying before u post something like that.
c2s is quicker on any course overall given same tires. handling as a function of applying maximum traction to changing the direction of the car is the same and largely limited to tire traction versus suspension design. how quickly you change from applying traction for changing direction to using it for acceleration is dependent on tires, suspension, wheel base, cg, and weight. given same ability in both but not necessarily technique, the c2s would rotate faster and allow for quicker transition to acceleration.

M3 is of course no slouch but if you compare corner entry speeds and most importantly corner exit, you will see the C2S is faster.
      03-29-2011, 06:29 AM   #27
Kyoshi71
Colonel

Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
I am willing to bet if you had bought a GT3 you would be on a Porsche site making the exact same post. What you are experiencing is "getting used to your car". If you had bought a Bugatti Veyron, you would even get used to it eventually.

All that being said, the M3 is the best performance car there is that still retains a daily drivable, utilitarian nature (room for 4 or 5 passengers and a good trunk). The M3 is far from the best sports car there is if utility is not required, there are many out there that are better. When you cited the GT3 you named one of the best there is period!
+1

Damn Strait (as always )

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
      03-29-2011, 06:37 AM   #28
chris s
Major General

Drives: 2012 e92 M3

LOL

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
      03-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #29
Epacy2
Major

Drives: M3/X5

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
absolutely not
      03-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #30
Gearhead999s
Major General

Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3

I just got my 2nd E92 M3 and I am in love all againI had my 1st one for 3 years and never got tired of it and I did not see anything else that has eclipsed the M in the last 3 years.For a practical DD that you track there is really not much else to choose from. 3 years is the longest I have ever owned a particular car so the M must be pretty special!
      03-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #31
catserfp
Private

Drives: M3 Sedan 10

No comments...
catserfp is offline   United_States
      03-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #32
ns2000x
Converted

Drives: '11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
lucky for you to lol as we pay that price + tax for m3 here
Yep. Also "fixed"
(You probably posted from the iPhone app, and it doesn't take the characters properly)

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox
ns2000x is offline   Canada
      03-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #33
clubspec330i
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleanm3 View Post
Hey guys,

Ive tried everything to make this car a beast in every aspect:

Handling:
Kw v3 (corner balanced/alignment done by westend)
Yoko Ad08 tires

Speed:
Gintani race+challenge x pipe

Wheels:
hre c20's which are light, though it would be better for handling

Cosmetics:
Listed in sig, I feel like the car isnt "mean" enough.

Im left to a supercharger/brembos, which I keep debating every single day. I feel like adding more HP will just cause a bigger dissapointment, with the rest of the car not quite there.

Whats everyone elses opinions on their modded m3's?
Maybe I bought a different car. My pretty stock M3 put a smile on my face every time I drive it, except when I go to the gas station to fill it up.

I had a blast @ Street of Willow, Buttonwillow, & Cali Speedway many times with just stock suspension. Back in November of 2008, with just NT05 on stock wheel, my E90 lapped SOW @ 1min 33 second. That was better than my cornered balanced on KC Kline & CCW E46 M3 ZCP did a couple of month earlier.

Maybe you need something like a GT3RS or 360CS. These two cars go really fast and sound really "mean" just in standing still in a parking lot..

Good luck buddy..
      03-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #34
1sikbmr
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelrock View Post
I drive mine every chance I get. Love it.
+1

E90 ///M3 6MT Atlantis Blue - Fox red
ESS VT1-550|Gloss black grilles/Gold gills|V1 hardwire|Filled reflectors|ZHP lighted shift knob|Volk TE37 Gloss Black|Mode Carbon GT4 Lip|Umnitza V4 full blackout kit|Agency Power exhaust|Sosi x-pipe|BMW Performance Steering Wheel V1|
      03-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #35
ksoze
Captain

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Since I don't pick mine up until sometime next week, I am disappointed my upcoming disappointment will have to wait a week
      03-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #36
mkoesel

Drives: 2015 Felt IA2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleanm3 View Post
Im really really regretting maybe not picking up a used porsche gt3 as the m3 is not my daily driver.
And that right there is your problem.

It seems to me that, subconsciously, you don't feel like it was wise to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a car that sits in your garage and simply does not get the use it deserves.

It is really about taking a step back and looking at your personal values and line of reasoning with an open mind. I read so many accounts from people on this forum about babying, cherishing, perserving, really almost idolizing their cars as if they are precious heirlooms or some royal treasure. To me, that kind of thinking doesn't really fit with an M3, or any other mass market car, or any typical material possession, really. It leads you down a path of regret and shame.

The solution is to use your finances wisely to buy things you can really enjoy and enrich your life with. If a $90k car doesn't fit your budget in that respect, then find something that does. And when you do, enjoy the F*** out of it. A GT3 or anything else is not going to get you there - its just going to leave you once again with that hollow niggling feeling that you are not getting fulfillment.

Just MHO.
      03-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #37
jmflukeiii
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
And that right there is your problem.

It seems to me that, subconsciously, you don't feel like it was wise to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a car that sits in your garage and simply does not get the use it deserves.

It is really about taking a step back and looking at your personal values and line of reasoning with an open mind. I read so many accounts from people on this forum about babying, cherishing, perserving, really almost idolizing their cars as if they are precious heirlooms or some royal treasure. To me, that kind of thinking doesn't really fit with an M3, or any other mass market car, or any typical material possession, really. It leads you down a path of regret and shame.

Just MHO.
Nice response, I completely agree. I bought my M3 knowing that I would be using it constantly and I absolutely love driving it daily. I look forward to my commutes now and often take a longer route home just to enjoy it a little more. However, if I had purchased this car and let it sit in my garage for the most part, I would be disappointed. It would be a waste in my opinion. The m3 is a perfect car to drive around and it will get noticed and looked at, but not like what I would consider a "weekend car" or "garage queen" such as a classic or super car.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
      03-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #38
chris s
Major General

Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
Nice response, I completely agree. I bought my M3 knowing that I would be using it constantly and I absolutely love driving it daily. I look forward to my commutes now and often take a longer route home just to enjoy it a little more. However, if I had purchased this car and let it sit in my garage for the most part, I would be disappointed. It would be a waste in my opinion. The m3 is a perfect car to drive around and it will get noticed and looked at, but not like what I would consider a "weekend car" or "garage queen" such as a classic or super car.
+1!!!!

I babied mine when i bought it and only used it after work or on weekends. Now my GF drives my truck daily, so I finally sucked it up and threw on snow tires this year. Couldn't be happier....I look forward to driving it everyday now and appreciate the car more than ever before.

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
      03-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #39
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority

Drives: 335i E93 750Li

The M3 is a great car and a lot of fun to drive but it is in a sense too much car for the street and not enough car for the track but is an excellent balance between the two.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America
captainaudio is offline   United_States
      03-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #40
jmflukeiii
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
+1!!!!

I babied mine when i bought it and only used it after work or on weekends. Now my GF drives my truck daily, so I finally sucked it up and threw on snow tires this year. Couldn't be happier....I look forward to driving it everyday now and appreciate the car more than ever before.
Exactly; I don't like not taking it places now. When it comes down to it, the point of cars is to be driven. You can still keep your car in nice condition, but we should use our cars for what their made for, to drive!
      03-29-2011, 09:06 AM   #41
mdosu
Banned

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

i bought the M3 knowing that it's not a god-like car. It's not significantly faster than my last car, and it's not near what you would get with a GT3 or even a 911S in some respects. And it's more than twice the price of my last car.

I think it's all about setting down proper expectations. This is also a siginificant reason I purchased the M3 used. I don't think the M3 is worth (in my case) $67k. It sure is worth what I paid for. ($46k with 8k miles).

when you're buying higher end cars, it takes more $$ to significantly increase the "wow" factor. That's why they created cars like the Z06, R8 and GT3 and GTR, they cost less, and perform on par with cars that costs a lot more.

Last edited by mdosu; 03-29-2011 at 09:13 AM.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
      03-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #42
PKL
Colonel

Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
I couldn't have asked for a better all around car
+1,000
      03-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #43
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...

Drives: 08 MR E92 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Hey bro i see where your at now...

I was at this point then started to look for a GTR and at some point looked at GT3 at auto gallery but for some reason i backed out... I started to mod the car and felt good and loving tge car every minute.... Also DD ur car that might change ur opinion .... But dont get me wrong if u decide to get the GT3 i say pull the plug i would if i wasnt getting married this year....
      03-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #44
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

The OP obviously needs that SC with the painted manifold and matching Brembos. Don't stop short...