BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible > General E46 M3 Talk

Alpine HID

03-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
gr8one88
tru blu

Drives: 2005 Individual M3 ESTYblau

E46 M3 Brake overhaul

i have about 40k miles on my m3 that has oem pads and rotors. it has been driven hard and its losing a lot of stopping power.
im looking to replace rotors pads and fluid flush on a budget.
im also looking to have good initial bite like oem pads but better overall stopping power.
for the rotors i would love to just operate cooler and be more resistant to fade. i live in south florida and the heat plays into the fade i am sure. so obviously i dont need to worry too much about having to wait long to heat up pads in my climate
TMS has their e46 m3 overhaul package with everything you need
my question is to anyone using hawk hps pbr metal masters or hawk HP PLUS on either oem/oem style blank rotors or TMS slotted rotors.
ANY input would be greatly appreciated. tell me your setup and your impressions of the performance differences.
gr8one88 is offline   United_States
      03-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
flipm3
E46 + E90

Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
hey,

thanks for turning to the forums for some feedback and advice, but this is an E9X M3 Technical Forum and you probably won't get much here.

definitely try to hop on m3forum.net to inquire about some information for your E46 M3. im sure you'll find a lt of valuable information there.

all the best!
      03-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
elh0102
Captain

Drives: E92 M3

What is your intended use? If you have 40K miles on the original parts, I assume you do not anticipate track use. Ambient temp has little to do with it, unless you anticipate a move to Venus (not FL). Except for dust, the OE pads are hard to beat. I expect your loss of stopping power is fluid related, a good flushing with fresh fluid might be all you need. If the rotors donít measure at the minimum thickness, I would not replace them. I assume the pads are low. If the pad material is down to the thickness of the backing plate, then replace for sure.