BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Racewerkz Engineering

03-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #23
mdosu
Banned

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

paypal is safe enough where if you give him your address, he can only send you money, nothing more. You can also refund his money any time. He has to have a validated bank account to even set up a paypal account.

I say, give him your address and let him pay. Even start withdrawing the money to you bank account if you're unsure how safe the money is. YOu can always call paypal too, to verify the payment.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
      03-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #24
mkoesel

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3

Could he be trying to work this angle?

http://reviews.ebay.com/PAYPAL-BUYER...00000000114286

Quote:
What can happen if you do not provide a tracking number?: If a buyer claims that the package was not received, then all they have to do is file a Dispute through Paypal. If you do not have a tracking number to provide Paypal, then POOF, the buyers' money is returned to them. They do not care if you have a valid mailing receipt, if the buyer is running a scam, or if the buyer has left you positive feedback raving about the item that they supposedly did not receive, or EVEN if you have emails where the buyer has said that they received the item! It does not matter if you have thousands of positive feedback and have been an ebay and paypal member for 7+ years, while the buyer has very few feedback and only been a member for a few months. The only thing that will save you is if you have the magical Delivery Confirmation Number. AND NO, INSURANCE ALONE IS NOT PROOF ENOUGH FOR PAYPAL.
I don't know though. Stills seems like an unreliable scam, and overly risky. Plus, I don't see it working unless he pays the full amount.
      03-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #25
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...

Drives: 08 MR E92 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
WOW.... its another Afghan scam...

Come on dude... you shouldnt be asking about this type of question.

here is the thing i dont paypal anything more than 5k. shit not even 1k... unless i know the person
      03-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #26
getlucky
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan

Thank you for that info, on paypal. I thought it was a scam but always thought paypal was safe so it threw me off.

I guess I asked to many questions he won't e-mail me any more.
      03-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #27
mkoesel

I think this might be it:

http://scam.com/showthread.php?t=118871

Quote:
It's all a ploy to try to get you to sign in to one of there bogus Pay-pal web pages...
Or, as another guy pointed out, he will just use a fake check or other fake payment (cashiers check or fake money order of some sort), and then by the time PP figures it out your car is gone.

You could probably F with him quite a bit if you feel like it, or maybe even help bring him down if you feel so inclined and such things get your adrenaline going. Kinda risky though, IMHO.
      03-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #28
NYCMCBM3
Colonel

Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

^some of them send you fake emails, that looks like paypal emails when you get funds, but when you log on to the paypal site, you wont see the funds , so be careful

Last edited by NYCMCBM3; 03-25-2011 at 08:08 AM.
NYCMCBM3 is offline   No_Country
      03-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #29
stega
Captain

Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
paypal is safe enough where if you give him your address, he can only send you money, nothing more. You can also refund his money any time. He has to have a validated bank account to even set up a paypal account.

I say, give him your address and let him pay. Even start withdrawing the money to you bank account if you're unsure how safe the money is. YOu can always call paypal too, to verify the payment.
I agree I would just give him ur paypal email and say ok pay me the money. And see what happens.
      03-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #30
issabmw
cool beans

Drives: E30|E90|Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Bad idea. But I wonder if you can give him someone else's who doesn't care about their account. Maybe set up a shill account, and as soon as he pays (if he does - which I am skeptical of) you shut off the account or just remove the link to the bank account that backs it.
Thats a nice one
issabmw is offline   Lebanon
      03-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #31
sameh
Major

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycE93M3 View Post
c'mon man seriously? I get tons of these everyday , total scammers , I wonder if anyone ever fell for this shit
I agree and always laugh thinking who in 2011 still fell in scams like this. Apparently there is!!!!!!
      03-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #32
Lodaka
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stega View Post
I agree I would just give him ur paypal email and say ok pay me the money. And see what happens.
I understand from my quick google search on this that the following will happen... 1) You will receive an email from "Paypal" (i.e. fake) saying that the funds that have been transferred are held in "secure" account until some shipper can provide confirmation. 2) You will email the buyer. 3) The buyer will saying oh okay that's fine you just need to send money to this supposed "shipper" for them to provide confirmation to Paypal, and ask that you provide it through Western Union. In other words, this is just another variation of "I am a prince with lots of money" scam. Don't do it, but waste his time a little if you want.
Lodaka is offline   Canada
      03-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #33
jbtco
First Lieutenant

Drives: F31 330D X drive Mspt/ Z4MC

It is a scam. Is your car a US left hand drive one ? If yes why would he want one in the UK where there are plenty of rhd used cars available.
      03-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #34
Darth335
Captain

Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3 ZCP

100000% scam. If you give him your paypal email, he will then create a fake invoice and link it to a fake paypal site. This happened to me when I was selling a TV, and the scammer sent me a "you have money" email that looked exactly like the real thing. When I went to check if the money was in my account by going directly to paypal.com, and not via embedded email link, the money was not there.

Total scam as stated above
      03-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #35
SIIK2NR
Captain

Drives: AW E92 M3

Scam. Not one question about the car or negotition on price. And in a hurry.
2004 AP2 S2000 - Sold
SIIK2NR is offline   South Korea
      03-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #36
vladinecko
Brigadier General

Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.50]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
DEAR GETLUCKY SIR/MADAMME

I NIGERIAN PRINCE INHERETEDED SUM OF MONEY 2,900,000,000,000.78 $$$ USD. I NEED SHARE MY FORTUNA. IF YOU KIND I WILL GIVE YOU HALF OF FORTUNA. SEND UR BANK, SOCIAL NUMBER, PIN, EMAILL PASSWRD AND AGE WHEN YOU NO LONGER VIRGIN AND I WILL SHARE MY FORTUNA WITH U. EMAIL ME ALL TO PRINCE004234@HOTMAIL.COM

THANKS FOR SOON REPLIEZ!!!!!!!!

YOURS,
KHANRDARASIR UMBRMASARIFU
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
vladinecko is offline   United_States
      03-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #37
Flumazenil
Private First Class

Drives: 2011.5 MW M3

Tell him you are a Nigerian who won 50 million in the lotto and that because you are not a citizen, you need him to cash in your ticket. All he needs to do is deposit 100k in your account and you will give him the winning ticket to cash.
Flumazenil is offline   United_States
      03-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #38
Biggerunn
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Quote:
I'm not sure I completely buy that this would be worth the hassle for the scammer though. After all, what if you just bolt, shut off your PP account and take his deposit? Seems like a pretty precarious way to try and pull a scam to me.
I don't disagree at all, but that's an explanation I found online when I was trying to figure it out myself. But regardless of the explanation, it's not worth spending a second of your own time dealing with a "buyer" like this.
      03-24-2011, 01:58 PM   #39
esquire
Colonel

Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe

THIS IS A DEFINITE SCAM. get out now. Scammers prefer paypal because of their ability to reverse payment days after it's been sent and for a number of other procedural aspects of how paypal works which benefits scammers. Any offer that involves paypal is almost de facto a scam, or at the very least HIGHLY DUBIOUS. Get out while you still have your car and your pride.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
esquire is offline   United_States
      03-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #40
cmk227
Major

Drives: ED on 2014 M6GC this summer

scam....

08 BMW X5 3.0si Space Grey
14 Lexus GX460
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
cmk227 is offline   United_States
      03-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #41
sameh
Major

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT JetBlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flumazenil View Post
Tell him you are a Nigerian who won 50 million in the lotto and that because you are not a citizen, you need him to cash in your ticket. All he needs to do is deposit 100k in your account and you will give him the winning ticket to cash.
Your English spelling and grammar are too good to sell this!
      03-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #42
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Quote:
After all, what if you just bolt, shut off your PP account and take his deposit?
Now you think the scammer might actually deposit money??? That'd NEVER happen man. Plus you'd have to be stupid to do such a transaction thru Paypal with 3%+ fees. I've seen some scams that could be credible at first, like asking for condition of car, if there's a lien or not, trying to negotiate the price down, etc. But this is 100.00% scam. NOBODY buys a car while overseas to begin with, especially without discussing it OVER THE PHONE at least. Plus having shipping already arranged? Please.

As I've said MANY times folks: Just ask for a phone number, and if not provided, don't waste any more of your time. That's going to drive away 99%+ of scammers. Plus you should always ask for a copy of the buyer's driver's license when selling a car, and warn buyer you'd fill out both bill of sale and title with that info. And car doesn't leave your garage until a w/t or a verified cashier's check is given to you (I always get a copy in advance, and check with the issuing bank -googled). Plus nowadays they have very hard to falsify watermarks and thermal seals (that disappear when pressed with your finger).

This scam in particular is after your paypal account AND/OR payment for 'shipping' to release the funds from 'escrow', if you were stupid enough to believe the 'funds received' scam email from 'paypal' was real.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      03-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #43
mkoesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Now you think the scammer might actually deposit money???
No, of course not. The context there was pretty obvious. I was merely speaking hypothetically to demonstrate my point.
      03-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #44
KIS
Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 C63 Coupe

I wouldn't play with this guy. It clearly is a scam for reasons already mentioned, so quit while you are ahead. Trying to figure out how he will screw you is a losing proposition since he presumably has more experience than you in being a d bag.
KIS is offline   United_States