BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
MKParris
Private
United_States
1
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Want a coupe but don't want to pay for it...Vert?

With the current "deals" on the E93M, I am becoming quite compelled with regard to picking one up.

The problem is that I have never really cared for convertibles. I have never had one and have never really liked them when compared to coupes/sedans due to the extra weight and noise.

But...I really dont feel like paying for the coupe/sedan. They are ~$50 more per month. I don't usually track my cars, nor am I obsessed with times. I just like to drive something that is nice and fun.

The only other car on the table is a 335IS with DCT. I don't really want another 335i (hpfp problems) but there are quite literally no other cars I like.

Have any of you ever purchased a convertible and learned to love it? Or should I just wait it out and hope the lease rates on the coupe/sedan drop a little?

The way I want the cars set up...all I want are edc/sat/ipod/metallic paint.

btw - I can comfortably afford all cars mentioned, its just that having an $800+ car payment kind of disgusts me based on what I plan on using the car for (daily driver). My upper limit is $750.

Last edited by MKParris; 03-23-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
Alex@Autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Alex@Autocouture's Avatar
74
Rep
3,665
Posts


 
Drives: E30 M3, E92 Frozen GTS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ny

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]
Wait it out but that's weird, the coupe should be cheaper, just get the coupe, if you don't learn to love the vert then you'll just be unhappy and wasted your money
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
half man half amazin
Lieutenant
half man half amazin's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
429
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F10 550i M sport
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las vegas

iTrader: (0)

I have had 2 convertibles, I really wanted the coupe bad, and almost got the vert because in my case the vert was $75 cheaper. But I figured I really wanted the coupe and figured $75 wasn't enough off a month to keep me happy with a car that I really didnt want. So I'm like if I have to pay for it, I'm getting what I want. FYI the 335is was only $20 cheaper than my M3 due to the residual value. For a car like this you're going to pay for it one way or another, there is no way around that.
__________________
Then: 2011 E92 //M3 SSII DCT
Now: 2012 F10 550i Carbon Black M Sport

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
MKParris
Private
United_States
1
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studntloan View Post
Wait it out but that's weird, the coupe should be cheaper, just get the coupe, if you don't learn to love the vert then you'll just be unhappy and wasted your money
the residuals and mf on the vert are VERY good. The car costs 15k more, but it is cheaper to lease over the same term.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
MKParris
Private
United_States
1
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye lexus View Post
I have had 2 convertibles, I really wanted the coupe bad, and almost got the vert because in my case the vert was $75 cheaper. But I figured I really wanted the coupe and figured $75 wasn't enough off a month to keep me happy with a car that I really didnt want. So I'm like if I have to pay for it, I'm getting what I want. FYI the 335is was only $20 cheaper than my M3 due to the residual value. For a car like this you're going to pay for it one way or another, there is no way around that.
no doubt. The 335is leases are not very good either. It costs nearly as much as the M3 vert lease - $712-$725.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #6
boothguy
Piacere di Guidare
0
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E93 M3, 5-11 ED
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vista, CA

iTrader: (0)

Bottom line, get what you want, whether it's a BMW or a pair of shoes. Otherwise, you'll look at it every day and be reminded that it's not really what you wanted in the first place.

That said, I'm always amused/amazed by the flow of negativity toward the E93s, seemingly always based on the extra weight they carry and where that weight is located. If we were talking track cars, that would be one thing. But for street use, I've gotta say, I think we're kidding ourselves that it makes a noticeable difference at all. As always, YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Poppin Fresh's Avatar
Philippines
33
Rep
2,128
Posts

 
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bergen County NJ

iTrader: (0)

Go for the vert. Buyer's remorse sucks! I love my E92 just the way I wanted it. It's like having enough money for the porterhouse but you end up choosing the chicken. Why?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
///MC
Private
1
Rep
58
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO

iTrader: (0)

$50 is ~$1.50 per day. Are you really saying you will settle for something you don't want for the price of a soda? What is $1.50, an extra 3 minutes at work per day? No way I would settle for something I didn't want at that amount.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Banned
Brazil
130
Rep
10,918
Posts

 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothguy View Post
Bottom line, get what you want, whether it's a BMW or a pair of shoes. Otherwise, you'll look at it every day and be reminded that it's not really what you wanted in the first place.
I agree with this 100%.

I made the same mistake in 2008; I purchased a 2008 M3 sedan because it was cheaper (..but not significantly). Every time I saw a coupe, I realized that I had made a mistake despite the fact that I loved my sedan (..after all, it was an M3......just not the one that I wanted). Two years later I am driving an 11.5 M3 coupe, and couldn't be happier. I finally feel at ease.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 01:03 AM   #10
MKParris
Private
United_States
1
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I agree with this 100%.

I made the same mistake in 2008; I purchased a 2008 M3 sedan because it was cheaper (..but not significantly). Every time I saw a coupe, I realized that I had made a mistake despite the fact that I loved my sedan (..after all, it was an M3......just not the one that I wanted). Two years later I am driving an 11.5 M3 coupe, and couldn't be happier. I finally feel at ease.
wow. thanks for reminding me. that is nearly the exact situation I am in. I got my 335i because it had been sitting on the lot for a while, and I wasn't really that excited about it, but it was a smoking deal. But now all I wish is that I had a coupe.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #11
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
kaykay's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
1,770
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
LOL @ this thread.

$50 bucks?

Yeah, get the car that you won't love to save $600 / year.
__________________
'12 CLS550 Palladium Silver - loaded
'11 E92 M3 ZCP - SG/B-EXT/CF, M-DCT, loaded
'11 E93 328i, BSM over Saddle Brown, sport, loaded
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 03:54 AM   #12
RayC
Lieutenant
RayC's Avatar
South Korea
6
Rep
544
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Centreville, VA

iTrader: (4)

I love convertibles! I would've gotten one but I wanted a four-door car and some trunk space.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 04:01 AM   #13
gnhm3
Major
gnhm3's Avatar
36
Rep
1,495
Posts

 
Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West LA

iTrader: (17)

I was in the same situation only 2 weeks ago. Except for me the difference was $140 a month (based on a $70k coupe and a $75k vert) In the end, I chose the vert. As much as I love and would rather have the coupe, I could not see myself spending that much more for it. I wont lie, I used to hate on the vert a lot but it has grown on me since I picked mine up 2 weeks ago. One night and day difference is blacking out the chrome trim and it looks much better.

In regards to the 400 pound difference, get real everyone. I used to own a 2008 e92 M3 coupe and I could not tell any difference between the 2 cars ( granted I have never tracked and don't plan on it, and this is strictly in regards to street driving).

Lastly, driving with the top down is a pretty cool experience. Especially when you have a nice exhaust.

For me personally I could not turn down a difference of $140 a month. Now if you say you really want the coupe and it is only $50 a month more, then without hesitation you should take the coupe. But if even $50 bugs you then I don't think the e93 is a bad compromise. Either way you can't go wrong. Good luck.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 05:18 AM   #14
TRY...M3
Major
TRY...M3's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,432
Posts

 
Drives: Depends on the day
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: PA

iTrader: (2)

youll always regret not getting what you really
want
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 06:19 AM   #15
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
14
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

^^^+1^^^

Exactly why I got every freaking option there was......... no looking back and saying,"Dammit.... what if? and I should have gotten!!"
__________________
Glory may be fleeting, but mediocrity ensures anonymity...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #16
jmflukeiii
Captain
9
Rep
727
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Yeah $50 a month is the problem that's making you choose something you like less than what you want on a $70,000 vehicle? That's absurd. I second M3fool, I just put everything on because the difference between a 67k car that has some stuff I want and a 80k car that has everything I want is negligible in terms of a monthly payment in my mind. 67k is a decent amount of money and if you're going to spend that much, might as well make sure its everything you want. You say you can easily afford any car....... than why don't you easily afford the extra $50 and get what you want?
__________________
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.

Last edited by jmflukeiii; 03-24-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #17
jeff4598
Lieutenant
7
Rep
452
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e90 AW/BB lotsa Dinan
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: new jersey

iTrader: (0)

Performance penalty!

Yes you will easily feel the 400lbs. It would take ~$7K in mods just to get the e93 to drive anything like an e92 or e90. Do not do it!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #18
DragonNeo
Private First Class
United_States
4
Rep
145
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M3 E93
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
Yes you will easily feel the 400lbs. It would take ~$7K in mods just to get the e93 to drive anything like an e92 or e90. Do not do it!
This coming from someone who drives an Infiniti?

__________________
2009 M3 E93 DCT SG/FR Extended


Winter beater: 2009 M3 E93 DCT with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #19
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
im not sure where your going with this, but if you want a coupe get the coupe. when i buy cars i make sure i get the car i want. sooner or later you will be like DAMN i should have gotten the coupe...

to be honest if i could go back i would probably get the vert. Previously before the ///M i had the S2000 and kinda miss driving the vert. Its fun to drive the vert.

For $50 bucks extra? I say buy the car you want...

oh to top it off the vert is a lot heavier... dont know how much but its a night and day ... that is the only reason why i got the coupe.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #20
I Wanna go Fast!
Private First Class
7
Rep
198
Posts

 
Drives: 08 l E90 l AW l PREMIUM l TECH
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
With the current "deals" on the E93M, I am becoming quite compelled with regard to picking one up.

The problem is that I have never really cared for convertibles. I have never had one and have never really liked them when compared to coupes/sedans due to the extra weight and noise.

But...I really dont feel like paying for the coupe/sedan. They are ~$50 more per month. I don't usually track my cars, nor am I obsessed with times. I just like to drive something that is nice and fun.

The only other car on the table is a 335IS with DCT. I don't really want another 335i (hpfp problems) but there are quite literally no other cars I like.

Have any of you ever purchased a convertible and learned to love it? Or should I just wait it out and hope the lease rates on the coupe/sedan drop a little?

The way I want the cars set up...all I want are edc/sat/ipod/metallic paint.

btw - I can comfortably afford all cars mentioned, its just that having an $800+ car payment kind of disgusts me based on what I plan on using the car for (daily driver). My upper limit is $750.
Don't get the vert. you will regret it.
__________________
///M 08 l E90 l AW l 6MT l TECH l PREMIUM l 19 220M
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #21
KIS
Lieutenant
KIS's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 C63 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Houston, Texas

iTrader: (0)

I suppose the reason you can afford the higher payment is that you are financially responsible, but there's the conundrum. When obtaining an M3, being thrifty should not enter into the equation since anything over $30,000 for a car is for reasons other than transportation. You're in a position to get a tremendously enjoyable ride, so don't compromise.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #22
Undertow
Private
United_States
0
Rep
68
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E93
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Is $50 bucks a month really a deal breaker on a $75k car? If you want the coupe, get the coupe. If the only thing holding you back from wanting a vert is the extra weight, then I wouldn't worry about it. It is barely noticeable in every day and spirited driving.

People always get so wrapped up in the imaginary races they will never be in. Oh no, 400 lbs might make me a quarter second slower driving to get the groceries. Oh no, that riced out civic is keeping up with me.
__________________
2011 E93 M3 | 2014 M235i
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST