BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #727
Hujan
Colonel
United_States
85
Rep
2,698
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3; 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (7)

Just talked to Michelin. According to the employee I spoke with, there is no plan in the immediate future to offer the PSS in 285/30/ZR19.

But he did note my request and indicated that customer requests are a big factor in decision-making when it comes to their product line. Translation: Give them a call!

http://www.michelinman.com/contact-us.page
__________________
E92 M3: BPM Stg. 2 | Akrapovic Evolution | Brembo GT | KW Clubsport | BBS FI

E89 Z4 35i: Cobb Stg. 1+ | Evolution Racewerks FMIC | Tial BOV
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #728
325rider
Zyzz Follower
United_States
11
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Here are my PSSs, waiting for their debut. Problem is my Vreds have 6/32"F & 7/32"R left, but I bought the Michelins early to get the $70 card. I could go through most of the Winter with the current tires, but not sure I want to.

Anybody have an explanation as to why the tread depths are so different for these size tires? I have been trying to get a conclusive answer, have not...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #729
CSBM5
Captain
26
Rep
783
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
Anybody have an explanation as to why the tread depths are so different for these size tires? I have been trying to get a conclusive answer, have not...
The tread depths (for new tires) are identical, but they look less on the wider tires which have narrower tread channels. When I bought my 255/35-19, 275/35-19 PSS, I measured them with a tread depth gauge due to the optical illusion, and they had identical tread depths.

The channel width varies with tire width -- as width goes up, the exact layout of the tread pattern changes, and there is often a distinct change (i.e. visually alluring) at a given width. I think the changeover happens with a 265 in the PSS and most other sizes.

It's simply a feature of how the tires are designed to be manufactured essentially...
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but most other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #730
325rider
Zyzz Follower
United_States
11
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
The tread depths (for new tires) are identical, but they look less on the wider tires which have narrower tread channels. When I bought my 255/35-19, 275/35-19 PSS, I measured them with a tread depth gauge due to the optical illusion, and they had identical tread depths.

The channel width varies with tire width -- as width goes up, the exact layout of the tread pattern changes, and there is often a distinct change (i.e. visually alluring) at a given width. I think the changeover happens with a 265 in the PSS and most other sizes.

It's simply a feature of how the tires are designed to be manufactured essentially...
Right I've noticed this. I couldn't help but figure some sizes were specifically designed one way or the other, and never really took into account the change in tread width. I suppose as you go with a wider contact patch you must also allow larger channels to prevent hydroplaning (e.g. a 275 will need larger channeling than a 225 given that its contact is so much wider it would hydroplane sooner). Its just crazy how much different the 275/35 PSS looks to other PSS in the lineup.

I have 255/35 275/35 on Advan RS 19x9 19x10 and feel like 265 on the 10" wheel is just too damn slim. I still haven't decided which setup I like better -_-
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #731
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
ILSMKU's Avatar
No_Country
70
Rep
2,132
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Does anyone know why the 265/35R19XL98Y KOE B (NOTICED KOE B ending)

is so much cheaper than the BSM version? Does it matter?

Michelin Pilot Supersports

1.) 265/35R19XL98Y KOE B @ 270.00

2.) 265/35ZR19XL 98Y B @ 273.00

3.) 265/35ZR19XL 98Y BSW @ 353.00
__________________
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/MS TP's/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #732
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
149
Rep
4,388
Posts

Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Just talked to Michelin. According to the employee I spoke with, there is no plan in the immediate future to offer the PSS in 285/30/ZR19.

But he did note my request and indicated that customer requests are a big factor in decision-making when it comes to their product line. Translation: Give them a call!

http://www.michelinman.com/contact-us.page
Thanks. I sent them a note.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 03:19 AM   #733
Hujan
Colonel
United_States
85
Rep
2,698
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3; 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Thanks. I sent them a note.
Excellent! I hope others do the same. It seems M3 owners have been asking for the 285/30/ZR19 for years. Hopefully it will come soon. Otherwise, its 255/275 for me.
__________________
E92 M3: BPM Stg. 2 | Akrapovic Evolution | Brembo GT | KW Clubsport | BBS FI

E89 Z4 35i: Cobb Stg. 1+ | Evolution Racewerks FMIC | Tial BOV
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 04:44 AM   #734
rjd598
Major General
rjd598's Avatar
United_States
158
Rep
5,393
Posts

Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Does anyone know why the 265/35R19XL98Y KOE B (NOTICED KOE B ending)

is so much cheaper than the BSM version? Does it matter?

Michelin Pilot Supersports

1.) 265/35R19XL98Y KOE B @ 270.00

2.) 265/35ZR19XL 98Y B @ 273.00

3.) 265/35ZR19XL 98Y BSW @ 353.00
Curious as well. Is there any difference at all?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 04:54 AM   #735
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
149
Rep
4,388
Posts

Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Thanks. I sent them a note.
Excellent! I hope others do the same. It seems M3 owners have been asking for the 285/30/ZR19 for years. Hopefully it will come soon. Otherwise, its 255/275 for me.
I've been running 255/275 for 15 months. I love this tire, and the front is perfect, but there's too much sidewall with the 275/35. I don't know why Michelin won't make a 285/30...
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #736
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
ILSMKU's Avatar
No_Country
70
Rep
2,132
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Does anyone know why the 265/35R19XL98Y KOE B (NOTICED KOE B ending)

is so much cheaper than the BSM version? Does it matter?

Michelin Pilot Supersports

1.) 265/35R19XL98Y KOE B @ 270.00

2.) 265/35ZR19XL 98Y B @ 273.00

3.) 265/35ZR19XL 98Y BSW @ 353.00
Curious as well. Is there any difference at all?
I called Michelin and they said there is no difference. That resellers sometimes just market the tires at different prices depending on the car and add a few digits to the Michelin part number to differentiate them.

Unreal. That's BS if you ask me.
__________________
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/MS TP's/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #737
kawasaki00
Major
kawasaki00's Avatar
44
Rep
1,420
Posts

Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I've been running 255/275 for 15 months. I love this tire, and the front is perfect, but there's too much sidewall with the 275/35. I don't know why Michelin won't make a 285/30...
I agree with you on that, I know the 275 is a better match for the zcp but I am going to run 295 next just to get away from that huge sidewall. It makes the rear of the car look like it is lowered too much on my eibachs. To me for the rear to look right it needs to be at stock height with the 275/35
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #738
rjd598
Major General
rjd598's Avatar
United_States
158
Rep
5,393
Posts

Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
I called Michelin and they said there is no difference. That resellers sometimes just market the tires at different prices depending on the car and add a few digits to the Michelin part number to differentiate them.

Unreal. That's BS if you ask me.
So which one is tire rack selling? It's between those two price ranges at $294 for the 265/35/19
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 02:48 AM   #739
Hujan
Colonel
United_States
85
Rep
2,698
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3; 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
I agree with you on that, I know the 275 is a better match for the zcp but I am going to run 295 next just to get away from that huge sidewall. It makes the rear of the car look like it is lowered too much on my eibachs. To me for the rear to look right it needs to be at stock height with the 275/35
Pics? I have the same fear.
__________________
E92 M3: BPM Stg. 2 | Akrapovic Evolution | Brembo GT | KW Clubsport | BBS FI

E89 Z4 35i: Cobb Stg. 1+ | Evolution Racewerks FMIC | Tial BOV

Last edited by Hujan; 02-04-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 03:16 AM   #740
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
ILSMKU's Avatar
No_Country
70
Rep
2,132
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
I called Michelin and they said there is no difference. That resellers sometimes just market the tires at different prices depending on the car and add a few digits to the Michelin part number to differentiate them.

Unreal. That's BS if you ask me.
So which one is tire rack selling? It's between those two price ranges at $294 for the 265/35/19
I don't know? I bought mine from discount tire at 270 each. KOE B version or whatever you want to call them.
__________________
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/MS TP's/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #741
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
tha_good_life's Avatar
United_States
91
Rep
3,990
Posts

Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (21)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
I made a comment about the 285 a while back.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #742
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
34
Rep
957
Posts

Drives: 740i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Bend, IN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
So which one is tire rack selling? It's between those two price ranges at $294 for the 265/35/19
There are a couple of different versions. The one currently at $294 is branded with an MO for Mercedes Original equipment, in this case for the SLS AMG.

There was one that was about the same price that was not original equipment for anyone. Those are mostly gone. There is 1 left at a price of $295 as of this writing, but essentially that version is done.

Then there is the version branded with an N0. That is Porsche original equipment. Porsche tires have letter N followed by a number. Higher number is not better or worse, just chronological based on how many versions Porsche has requested of that tire in that size. Those are $419. Porsche versions are often more different from the mainstream versions than other manufacturers' OE tires, though they are still certainly OK to use on other cars.
__________________
_______________________________________________



To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660. Email:ben@tirerack.com
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #743
dmppdx
Second Lieutenant
10
Rep
259
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PNW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
There are a couple of different versions. The one currently at $294 is branded with an MO for Mercedes Original equipment, in this case for the SLS AMG.

There was one that was about the same price that was not original equipment for anyone. Those are mostly gone. There is 1 left at a price of $295 as of this writing, but essentially that version is done.

Then there is the version branded with an N0. That is Porsche original equipment. Porsche tires have letter N followed by a number. Higher number is not better or worse, just chronological based on how many versions Porsche has requested of that tire in that size. Those are $419. Porsche versions are often more different from the mainstream versions than other manufacturers' OE tires, though they are still certainly OK to use on other cars.
So how would the tires be different between the Porsche version and the non Porsche version or the AMG version?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:36 PM   #744
CSBM5
Captain
26
Rep
783
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
So how would the tires be different between the Porsche version and the non Porsche version or the AMG version?
OEMs have specific requests of tire manufacturers over the range of typical design parameters such as noise, comfort, wet grip, dry grip, etc. Hence sometimes tread patterns and compounds are altered along with perhaps tire carcass in rare instances.

I first ran into this many years back with the PS2 versus the PS2 MO version when I needed to replace a tire, and the regular PS2 wasn't available. The MO version had a substantially different tread pattern, i.e. the visible difference, not sure what else if any differences it had.
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but most other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:33 AM   #745
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
United Kingdom
133
Rep
3,156
Posts

Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Between the unbranded, the Mercedes and Porsche versions, the only spec difference I can see is that the M0 version has a different fuel efficiency rating (C vrs E)....so I would probably avoid mixing that tyre with the other versions.
The unbranded and the N0 version maybe the same tyre but it would probably be best to stick to one type and not mix them.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #746
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
34
Rep
957
Posts

Drives: 740i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Bend, IN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
So how would the tires be different between the Porsche version and the non Porsche version or the AMG version?
They may differ in just about any aspect that you can imagine: tread pattern, internal components, compound, materials used for body plies and reinforcements, shape of the shoulder, etc.

Sometimes there is no discernible change, and it seems like the automaker might just put their 'seal of approval' on an existing design.

These changes may or may not show up in the basic specs. They might be visible on inspection of the tires or not. The exact changes that the automaker requests are considered proprietary to them, and are not widely disclosed. So the only differences we know for sure are what shows up in the specs and what people observe.

I have generally found it is OK to mix pairs (say 2 Mercedes rear and 2 regular front), and sometimes there is no choice. As noted above, there are often changes to the tread pattern based on size, so slight changes front vs back are generally tolerated. If given the choice, I would make all 4 the same spec (either same brand OE or none of them OE designated). I would try not to mix on the same axle.
__________________
_______________________________________________



To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660. Email:ben@tirerack.com

Last edited by ben@tirerack; 02-05-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: punctuation
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST