BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
F82_SID
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3

BMW Discrimination

Hey guys the other thread about test driving expensive cars made me think that it would be interesting to know if anybody else feels like they have been discriminated either by their dealership for whatever reason or by the public and family because you drive a BMW....

I know my ex's family thought that I was made out of money and stuck up just because I drive a BMW and therefore would always try and get me to pay for everything.

What do you guys think?
      03-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Drives: Like a boss

LOL, i know exactly what youre talking about. people are bitches.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
Hey guys the other thread about test driving expensive cars made me think that it would be interesting to know if anybody else feels like they have been discriminated either by their dealership for whatever reason or by the public and family because you drive a BMW....

I know my ex's family thought that I was made out of money and stuck up just because I drive a BMW and therefore would always try and get me to pay for everything.

What do you guys think?
This is because M is a status symbol..... see thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497142
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
F82_SID
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
This is because M is a status symbol..... see thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497142
lol Im talking about people who dont know the difference between and M3 or a 328 or an X6 or a Z4 lol
      03-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: N/A

I think it depends a lot on where you live. In SoCal or Miami I don't think anyone would even notice an M3... Des Moines, Iowa - you might have some of that association and repercussion.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
F82_SID
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
I think it depends a lot on where you live. In SoCal or Miami I don't think anyone would even notice an M3... Des Moines, Iowa - you might have some of that association and repercussion.
I agree... I went to Miami and was amazed. I never see anything like South Beach. I even grew up in San Diego but that could not compare to the wealth and Poverty that is apparent in Miami.... Im in Denver so there aren't necessarily millionaires everywhere and an M3 does get noticed.
      03-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Dude, your ex's family tried to make you pay for everything bc you drove a bimmer? Thats just messed up, what are they thinking...
      03-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
F82_SID
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
Dude, your ex's family tried to make you pay for everything bc you drove a bimmer? Thats just messed up, what are they thinking...
They would say "hey, we are having a bbq, you guys should come over" I would say ok and then they would say "Great! Can you bring the steaks and sodas and plates and ....." lol
      03-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
F82_SID
Brigadier General
Rep

The real direction I was hoping to take this thread was if anybody was discriminated against because of their age, race, religion, car, whatever....
      03-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 Carbon X5M

Quote:
The real direction I was hoping to take this thread was if anybody was discriminated against because of their age, race, religion, car, whatever....
Try being female with this car. Most assume I don't know how to drive it and that I'm a kept woman. They couldn't be more wrong on both counts.
      03-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
They would say "hey, we are having a bbq, you guys should come over" I would say ok and then they would say "Great! Can you bring the steaks and sodas and plates and ....." lol
so what else would they ask you to pay other than steaks, i'm interested in your story now!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
F82_SID
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
so what else would they ask you to pay other than steaks, i'm interested in your story now!
lol, well I got asked to pay for my brother inlaws bail and to put money on his books in prison, to co-sign for a house and a car, to buy my ex a new car, to pay for their dogs vet bills... lots of stuff! lol!
      03-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Philippines
Rep

Drives: 08 MR E92 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
What about being discriminated when trying to buy the M3? One dealer wouldn't even acknowledge my presence when I walked into the place. lol sorry for the thread jack
LOL this is so true...

I went to Shelly BMW driving my friends honda car looking for a new car for my fiance. when i got out the car which is a 10 year old car... NO ONE FREAKIN APPROACH ME.. so i was trying to find someone that can help us and ask if someone can help us out... which someone did... but after asking question and 5 minutes passed the guy said... Heres my card when your ready call me... I WAS LIKE not even 5 minutes he decide to ditch me and give me hes card and went on with anothe client that just came in...

so i got pissed. left and came back with my ///M3 the next day, ... OMG not even 10 sec. 3 guys came up if i needed help.... i waited a while if the guy that help me previously was there working.. and he was .... and he asked me hey i like your car and said so did you ever find the 5 series you were looking for. I WAS LIKE YEA I BOUGHT IN IN ANOTHER DEALER THAT DAY... i just came in today to buy extra oil for my car... Then i realized nah nevermind i dont like this dealer.

i wasnt trying to be a dick or anything and was never in the beggininng i just wanted someone that can maybe help out without profiling someone...
      03-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M3

Basically works like this
BMW=Ass
BMW M=Ass*ole
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
F82_SID
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
What about being discriminated when trying to buy the M3? One dealer wouldn't even acknowledge my presence when I walked into the place. lol sorry for the thread jack
Thats not a thread jack bro, thats what I wanted to hear....Every dealership I went to when buying my 335 probably just thought I was some broke "beaner" kid that was just gonna get fingerprints on their cars. I would be standing out in the lots for hours and nobody would come ask me if I needed help. I would always have to go inside and ask for someone to help me. THEN... Even after I ordered my car I would get a call or email from my CA asking if I was actually gonna pick up the car when it got there. When I actually went to pick up my car I got stopped as I was walking on to the lot and some CA asked me if I was lost and needed directions....Thats the crap im talking about. I guess im just wondering if I am the only one to have that crap happen them.
      03-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Well, the sale guys didn't let me to test drive an E46 M3 4-5 years ago (I was around 23) and since then I hated dealing with sales guy. When I went to buy my M3, I called the sales manager and dealt with him directly. I had a way better experience dealing with the manager rather than the sale guys.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
GreasyGinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)

why not stop being such a pussy and just walk inside and ask the hot girl behind the reception desk to speak to a salesman?
      03-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #18
Sedan_Clan
Banned
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
LOL this is so true...

I went to Shelly BMW driving my friends honda car looking for a new car for my fiance. when i got out the car which is a 10 year old car... NO ONE FREAKIN APPROACH ME.. so i was trying to find someone that can help us and ask if someone can help us out... which someone did... but after asking question and 5 minutes passed the guy said... Heres my card when your ready call me... I WAS LIKE not even 5 minutes he decide to ditch me and give me hes card and went on with anothe client that just came in...

so i got pissed. left and came back with my ///M3 the next day, ... OMG not even 10 sec. 3 guys came up if i needed help.... i waited a while if the guy that help me previously was there working.. and he was .... and he asked me hey i like your car and said so did you ever find the 5 series you were looking for. I WAS LIKE YEA I BOUGHT IN IN ANOTHER DEALER THAT DAY... i just came in today to buy extra oil for my car... Then i realized nah nevermind i dont like this dealer.

i wasnt trying to be a dick or anything and was never in the beggininng i just wanted someone that can maybe help out without profiling someone...
Funny! That's the opposite of my experience with Shelly BMW, but very similar to my experience at Savage BMW (..back when I was looking to buy my first BMW in 2001.....a 2002 330ci). Shelly BMW gave me the desired attention, and 7 cars later I STILL have a great relationship with that dealership. I don't believe that my ethnicity had anything to do with the poor service at Savage. I feel that it had more to do with incompetency than anything else. Friends of mine have had good experiences at Savage however. Like any other dealership, it's probably hit or miss.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #19
PKL
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
lol, well I got asked to pay for my brother inlaws bail and to put money on his books in prison, to co-sign for a house and a car, to buy my ex a new car, to pay for their dogs vet bills... lots of stuff! lol!
I would LOL in their face. In laws/ girlfriends parents are THE WORST.
      03-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #20
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Drives: >1000 HP in my garage

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
My dad hated BMW's with a passion. In fact, I hated them before I finally got to drive one. After letting him drive my 135i and M3, he thinks they are nice cars, but would never own one.

I see a trend on facebook when BMW's come up in a topic by friends. A lot of their friends respond with their hatred for BMW's and BMW drivers.

I've also noticed a lot more road rage against me when I'm driving the M compared to any other car I've ever owned.

The worst part about owning a BMW is being associated with the pricks that happen to drive them. With that said, I don't really care what other people think as I drive what pleases me. Most of the time I am extra nice and courteous on the road and it's funny to see drivers shocked by it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #21
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
LOL this is so true...

strange

Axel at Shelly helped me out a lot

I got in around 7pm and was out around 9PM

Did the deal, paperwork, test drive, finished paperwork, car was prepped while doing paper work.

Out.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #22
Sedan_Clan
Banned
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
strange

Axel at Shelly helped me out a lot

I got in around 7pm and was out around 9PM

Did the deal, paperwork, test drive, finished paperwork, car was prepped while doing paper work.

Out.

Axel is great, as is Derek and YiWen (..the latter whom is a long-time personal friend of mine......salesman turned friend because he's a stand-up guy). All 3 of them are an absolute ease to work with.
Appreciate 0