BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #8273
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
30
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (20)

I don't know if it's just me or if my 3GS' battery was failing, but I've noticed a huge increase in battery life. I'm using my phone the same as my 3GS and I am currently at ~80% life. My 3GS would be at ~25-40% right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #8274
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
30
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (20)

Any of you read through the "Personals" sections on CL?

The "W4M" section is always good for a laugh, but I recently discovered the "Missed Connections" section and it has proven to be quite interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 04:12 AM   #8275
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
15,812
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
Any of you read through the "Personals" sections on CL?

The "W4M" section is always good for a laugh, but I recently discovered the "Missed Connections" section and it has proven to be quite interesting.
O do I have stories...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
I don't know if it's just me or if my 3GS' battery was failing, but I've noticed a huge increase in battery life. I'm using my phone the same as my 3GS and I am currently at ~80% life. My 3GS would be at ~25-40% right now.
my 4S is alright

same as the 4
but it charges slower
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 06:04 AM   #8276
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
15,812
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

sleepy...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #8277
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
30
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
O do I have stories...
What? Do you post in the M4W section? lol
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #8278
theriz
Colonel
United_States
28
Rep
2,868
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ventura County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335i M-Sport  [2.00]
2009 X5  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to theriz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
...



Ah, that sucks. My grandpa had alzheimers and it's sad to see somebody lose their mind like that. Luckily, he kicked the bucket (of old age) before it became really severe. It's a terrible way to die.



Aim bots, unlimited grenades, flying across the map, etc... You modify the save files somehow.
we meeting at the CCC first???

and what?? are you serious? ive never heard of that on xbox before.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #8279
Bowser330
Captain
9
Rep
921
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Socal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
Let's say you have a 500GB HDD. Chances are, you will only be using 50-100gb, so what do you do with the rest?

The idea is for the company to pay you to use your empty storage (10 per month) and they would take that storage and rent it to people for 20 per month, making a profit of 10/GB per month.

For the people who are renting the space, they would be able to store music, movies, pictures, documents, etc... Since the company doesn't just have a ton of servers storing the data (what every other company is doing), everything is P2P (I believe) making downloads really fast (think torrents).

I think it's a good idea.
It is a good idea.

However there are some hurdles, the company's with tons of servers are selling you more than their storage, they are selling you security and stability also.

Obviously there needs to be some sort of security encryption guarantee, which will protect the stored data when its sitting on some hacker's HDD.....

What happens when the the HDD owners turn off the system for some reason? There has got to be backups/mirrors of the stored data on other drives that the ensure the users always have access.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #8280
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
15,812
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
What? Do you post in the M4W section? lol
I have in the past, but my freaky stories aren't related to those lol
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #8281
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
30
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theriz View Post
we meeting at the CCC first???
I think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
It is a good idea.

However there are some hurdles, the company's with tons of servers are selling you more than their storage, they are selling you security and stability also.

Obviously there needs to be some sort of security encryption guarantee, which will protect the stored data when its sitting on some hacker's HDD.....

What happens when the the HDD owners turn off the system for some reason? There has got to be backups/mirrors of the stored data on other drives that the ensure the users always have access.
Yes, there are some potential security risks. The guy was saying that his friend (the main programmer) has been working on this for 2 years and part of the reason why it's taking so long is because he has to make sure that everything is encrypted and people are only able to access their own data.

I also thought about what would happen if people disconnect their HDD from the network. I don't know how it's possible to get around something like that without mirrors, like you mentioned.

The idea is good, but I think that there are too many things that can go wrong that would prevent this from really taking off.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #8282
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
30
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
I have in the past, but my freaky stories aren't related to those lol
So.... let's hear some stories!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #8283
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
30
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (20)

This just in: Gaddafi is dead

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/10/20...=BN1&hpt=hp_t1
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #8284
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
15,812
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
So.... let's hear some stories!
lol...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
Old story :P
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #8285
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
30
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Old story :P
Kooni
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #8286
theriz
Colonel
United_States
28
Rep
2,868
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ventura County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335i M-Sport  [2.00]
2009 X5  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to theriz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
I think so



Yes, there are some potential security risks. The guy was saying that his friend (the main programmer) has been working on this for 2 years and part of the reason why it's taking so long is because he has to make sure that everything is encrypted and people are only able to access their own data.

I also thought about what would happen if people disconnect their HDD from the network. I don't know how it's possible to get around something like that without mirrors, like you mentioned.

The idea is good, but I think that there are too many things that can go wrong that would prevent this from really taking off.
what time?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #8287
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
30
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (20)

I'm not sure. I don't think we decided yet...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #8288
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
30
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (20)

I'm about to troll some people on CL. I'll put up the link in a second.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #8289
M_BYEEE
Brigadier General
M_BYEEE's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
3,196
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Camarillo, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
I'm about to troll some people on CL. I'll put up the link in a second.
Awaiting link....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #8290
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
30
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (20)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...660772965.html

For the McDonald's Monopoly, to win the million bucks, you need the Boardwalk and Park Place piece. There is only 1 Boardwalk piece and millions of Park Place pieces... I'm pretending not to know lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #8291
M_BYEEE
Brigadier General
M_BYEEE's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
3,196
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Camarillo, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...660772965.html

For the McDonald's Monopoly, to win the million bucks, you need the Boardwalk and Park Place piece. There is only 1 Boardwalk piece and millions of Park Place pieces... I'm pretending not to know lol.
You crack me up Wes
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #8292
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
15,812
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes. View Post
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...660772965.html

For the McDonald's Monopoly, to win the million bucks, you need the Boardwalk and Park Place piece. There is only 1 Boardwalk piece and millions of Park Place pieces... I'm pretending not to know lol.
Actually, I thought there were 3 pieces?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #8293
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
15,812
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Regarding time, I'm thinking meet at my house around 6 is a good idea


or if I can't meet at my place for whatever reason, I know of a couple safe parking spots where we could always leave a car or something.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #8294
WesleyC
Colonel
United_States
30
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2008

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg135i View Post
You crack me up Wes


Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Actually, I thought there were 3 pieces?
I think you're right. Still, 3 pieces out of tens of millions is next to nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Regarding time, I'm thinking meet at my house around 6 is a good idea


or if I can't meet at my place for whatever reason, I know of a couple safe parking spots where we could always leave a car or something.
6 is good. Sounds like a plan.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
1day riz will have an m3, i owe jason :d, james loves nails, jamie <3s octomom, jason wears lizard shoes!, persian hates women, riz gives out handjobs, riz has sulfur ass, riz is happy with dps, wes = megakooni, wes is too flashy, yousif da traitor

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST