BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
.:bHd:.
Major
.:bHd:.'s Avatar
Armenia
71
Rep
1,149
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Back Brace?

So for the past month every time I do abs or squats my lower back starts hurting. Yesterday i drove for an hour in an uncomfortable position and my backs been killing me. It's to the point where I cant stand or walk.

Do any of you guys use a back brace? Can you recommend me one?
__________________

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
newdadkel
Private First Class
newdadkel's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
190
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X6M CBM
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I use one any time I do squats, but I usually try to go heavy. There are many different types out there. It depends on how much support you need. Right now, I am using a wider Nike belt, but have used the leather belts, and thinner belts, in the past. I would recommend just going to a sports store and trying them on to see how they fit you.

Actually you have probably strained your lower back, most likely spinal erector muscles. But you have to be careful with low back stuff, because if you really injure it, it can take a long time to heal. And its f***in miserable.

I would also recommend adding stretching esp. of the back and hamstrings if you're not doing so. Also, if your gym has a low back machine, start doing some very light sets on this, or just low back raises. If it starts hurting or even twinging your low back, just stop.

Regular NSAIDs, massage, heat, or even muscle relaxers can help.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
luvmyone
Private First Class
Canada
4
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ont

iTrader: (1)

Back Pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdadkel View Post
I use one any time I do squats, but I usually try to go heavy. There are many different types out there. It depends on how much support you need. Right now, I am using a wider Nike belt, but have used the leather belts, and thinner belts, in the past. I would recommend just going to a sports store and trying them on to see how they fit you.

Actually you have probably strained your lower back, most likely spinal erector muscles. But you have to be careful with low back stuff, because if you really injure it, it can take a long time to heal. And its f***in miserable.

I would also recommend adding stretching esp. of the back and hamstrings if you're not doing so. Also, if your gym has a low back machine, start doing some very light sets on this, or just low back raises. If it starts hurting or even twinging your low back, just stop.

Regular NSAIDs, massage, heat, or even muscle relaxers can help.
Like newdadkel said, l would listen to your body,If you have,or have had even a hint of lower lumbar back pain (like your having) I would completely stay away from squats!(they only make you shorter.
Try something else for quad development that is less stressfull on your spine... or you will end up like me!(a chronic lower back pain sufferer)
Make sure when you train you leave your ego at home and go for perfect execution and fourm all the time and concentrate on your core.
Take Care
__________________
Space Grey,coral red,DINAN STG2,SSK, with1 M shift knob,shadowline grills,BMW carbon fibre strut brace,DINAN exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
geneatals
Ninja
geneatals's Avatar
Philippines
44
Rep
3,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

iTrader: (2)

never a fan of back braces as they are used to compensate for strength/core stability that you don't have. If it's an acute injury, then a back brace might help to relieve some pain and allow the tissues to recover. However, using a back brace on a regular basis only further weakens your core strength as eventually you will rely on the back brace for your support rather than yourself.

Agreed with stretching, rest, and listening to your body....
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
.:bHd:.
Major
.:bHd:.'s Avatar
Armenia
71
Rep
1,149
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

I've been having back pains for a long time now. Sometimes after playing basketball or running it will start hurting. But it was never this bad so I never paid attention to it. I guess i'll use a brace until the pain goes away then take it easy after that.
__________________

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
geneatals
Ninja
geneatals's Avatar
Philippines
44
Rep
3,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
I've been having back pains for a long time now. Sometimes after playing basketball or running it will start hurting. But it was never this bad so I never paid attention to it. I guess i'll use a brace until the pain goes away then take it easy after that.
if it's been more of a chronic condition, might just want to see an MD....
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #7
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
35
Rep
1,431
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
if it's been more of a chronic condition, might just want to see an MD....
+1.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #8
.:bHd:.
Major
.:bHd:.'s Avatar
Armenia
71
Rep
1,149
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

I never thought much of it because it wasn't unbearable. It would go away after a day. usually happened after physical activity. Wore a brace today and so far it hasn't really done much. If this doesn't go away soon I think I'm gonna see a doctor on monday.
__________________

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
newdadkel
Private First Class
newdadkel's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
190
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X6M CBM
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

If you know anyone that is a physical therapist, they might be able to help with stretches or rehabbing as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
geneatals
Ninja
geneatals's Avatar
Philippines
44
Rep
3,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

iTrader: (2)

<===Physical Therapist
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
Lester
Colonel
36
Rep
2,885
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

Chiropractor, before you do permanent damage.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
geneatals
Ninja
geneatals's Avatar
Philippines
44
Rep
3,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

iTrader: (2)

^why would you say chiro rather than MD or PT? just curious...
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
Dre01SS's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
^why would you say chiro rather than MD or PT? just curious...


I would say lower your squat weight and work on form/mechanics. That'll increase your core strength nonetheless, after all, that's what should be holding your torso straight up, not your lower back.

You're probably going too heavy, causing your torso to come forward, adding stress to your lumbar, and shifting the weight off your heels, and onto your toes?

As for abs, toss an AbMat under you for situps...
__________________
"Its only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything"
Current: 2007 Corvette Z06 (DD/HPDE)
Past: 2012 MazdaSpeed 3, 2007 BMW 335i E92 - 2001 Corvette Z06 - 2001 Camaro SS - 2007 CBR 600RR - 2003 CBR 600RR Racebike - 2001 CBR F4i
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #14
.:bHd:.
Major
.:bHd:.'s Avatar
Armenia
71
Rep
1,149
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre01SS View Post


I would say lower your squat weight and work on form/mechanics. That'll increase your core strength nonetheless, after all, that's what should be holding your torso straight up, not your lower back.

You're probably going too heavy, causing your torso to come forward, adding stress to your lumbar, and shifting the weight off your heels, and onto your toes?

As for abs, toss an AbMat under you for situps...
I don't really do heavy when it comes to squats because I'm always afraid of throwing my back out (oh the irony). My back usually hurts after doing any ab workout. I've tried situps, crunches, leg raises anything that involves my abs puts pressure on my back. I'm gonna hit up a chiropractor on Monday and see what he says.
__________________

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
Lester
Colonel
36
Rep
2,885
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
^why would you say chiro rather than MD or PT? just curious...
An MD will give you pain killers, or NSAID's to get rid of the pain and or inflammation. They may also recommend that you go to see a specialist for possible corrective surgery (in the case of a ruptured disk).

A PT is good for getting an excercise routine underway to stregthen the back muscles, They can also give ultrsound/electric current treatment to help get rid of calcium buildup and bruising.

A Chiropractor is trained in maniupulating the spinal column and associated skeletal/nervous system back into alignment. Many people suffer needlessly with back or associated pain when a regular Chiropratic treatment program can eliminate the source (pinched nerve, etc).

Your entire nervous system runs straight down the middle of your spinal column. Nerves feed out to various organs and muscles from counduits connected to your spine. It only makes sense that a specialist who is keenly aware of this skeletal/nervous system and who is trained to recognize misalignments and related symptoms is going to be beneficial.

I hope this is helpful, and at the end of the day it is up to you!

Stay healthy.

Last edited by Lester; 02-27-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #16
geneatals
Ninja
geneatals's Avatar
Philippines
44
Rep
3,207
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: So Cal (SFV)

iTrader: (2)

but once one is "back in alignment", how does one stay in alignment? It's the exercise and pt education that get's the patient to functional independence, not continuous manipulation/'regular chiropractic routine" and modalities for pain relief...

Just an FYI: PT's are also trained and educated in everything you just mentioned for a chiro, including manipulations....and that knowlegde and education is carried over into the entire body, not just the spine.

Like you said, it's your choice, I just find it interesting how so many people are quick to go to a chiro rather than an MD or PT, even tho I get a good number of long term chiro clients in my clinic. Most MD's are good about referring to PT (sometimes chiro) with or without administering meds.

@ the end of the day, whatever works for you...

OP: good luck...
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 AW l Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL l Pics/Mods
Retired: 2008 535i l AW l Black Dakota Leather l Bamboo Anthracite l ZPP l ZSP l 6FL
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #17
josephr25
Major
United_States
18
Rep
1,458
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I've been squatting regularly for more than two years and have had no back pain, and I usually rep 80-90% 1RM; usually three sets of six-eight reps. I would say for you it's a long-term condition.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #18
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
Dre01SS's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
I've been squatting regularly for more than two years and have had no back pain, and I usually rep 80-90% 1RM; usually three sets of six-eight reps. I would say for you it's a long-term condition.
In the wise words of Mark Rippetoe:
"Yes, if you squat wrong it fucks things up. If you squat correctly, those same fucked-up things will unfuck themselves."
Don't know if OP's form is good - We all know the squat exercise won't harm when done correctly. So root cause is OP's form, or an underlying issue not related to squatting altogether (posture, etc...).
__________________
"Its only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything"
Current: 2007 Corvette Z06 (DD/HPDE)
Past: 2012 MazdaSpeed 3, 2007 BMW 335i E92 - 2001 Corvette Z06 - 2001 Camaro SS - 2007 CBR 600RR - 2003 CBR 600RR Racebike - 2001 CBR F4i
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #19
.:bHd:.
Major
.:bHd:.'s Avatar
Armenia
71
Rep
1,149
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre01SS View Post
In the wise words of Mark Rippetoe:
"Yes, if you squat wrong it fucks things up. If you squat correctly, those same fucked-up things will unfuck themselves."
Don't know if OP's form is good - We all know the squat exercise won't harm when done correctly. So root cause is OP's form, or an underlying issue not related to squatting altogether (posture, etc...).
I'm pretty sure my form is good I even asked one of the personal trainers to see if I'm doing it fine. The pain only comes back when i do my ab workout. Doesn't matter what I do. Once these god damn muscles start getting an exercise my back starts hurting.

I decided to skip the doctor. The brace has been helping a lot. I'm gonna take it easy this week and just stretch a lot. Hopefully it'll be 100% gone next week and I can start working out again. Think I'm gonna stretch a lot more before working out.
__________________

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #20
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
Dre01SS's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
I'm pretty sure my form is good I even asked one of the personal trainers to see if I'm doing it fine. The pain only comes back when i do my ab workout. Doesn't matter what I do. Once these god damn muscles start getting an exercise my back starts hurting.

I decided to skip the doctor. The brace has been helping a lot. I'm gonna take it easy this week and just stretch a lot. Hopefully it'll be 100% gone next week and I can start working out again. Think I'm gonna stretch a lot more before working out.
Try this OP:
http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/2010...-and-back.html

FYI - Great blog to follow...
__________________
"Its only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything"
Current: 2007 Corvette Z06 (DD/HPDE)
Past: 2012 MazdaSpeed 3, 2007 BMW 335i E92 - 2001 Corvette Z06 - 2001 Camaro SS - 2007 CBR 600RR - 2003 CBR 600RR Racebike - 2001 CBR F4i
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #21
san~man
Tired
san~man's Avatar
44
Rep
2,618
Posts

 
Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (7)

Forgive me for asking, but how regularly do you work your abs and core?

The reason I ask is that I was always taught that having a strong core helps to lessen the chance of back injury, as the core is what supports the upper torso.
__________________
BMW-less
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #22
.:bHd:.
Major
.:bHd:.'s Avatar
Armenia
71
Rep
1,149
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

^ I work em out once a week and usually on mondays. Tomorrow is ab day so I'm gonna try to be careful and not do so much. Most of the pain is gone but if i stand for a long period of time or sit uncomfortably, the pain comes back.
__________________

Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST