BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

GTB Performance

02-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #23
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
I understand where you are coming from. The stock suspension is very good, but I still feel it's just a touch too high. Eibachs which give a 19mm front 14mm rear drop look just about perfect to me.

Any lower and the car seems to look worn out and tired. IMO
I agree with this.... That's why I went Eibach as well. I hate the slammed look too, childish in my opinion. The Eibach's are nice cause they give a noticeable but subtle drop and there are zero clearance issues. I never bottom out or hit the bumper with them. They definitely do make the car look more aggressive too. The gap just doesn't look right over the front tire from the factory.
      02-25-2011, 02:19 PM   #24
Richbot
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Jerez Black E90

$5,000PaintJobM3: You get better shock rebound/damping from a set of lowering springs? That sounds like a patentable technology, whoever sells those better call a patent attorney! A nice set of coilovers might (and might not) provide better damping but that's not what you're saying, you're talking about a drop.

By the way, "dampening" is the act of making something "damp." If your springs are getting your shocks wet, something is wrong.

Obviously I need to get out of this thread before I start trying to inject facts into it.

Last edited by Richbot; 02-25-2011 at 02:29 PM.
      02-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #25
Erhan
Colonel

Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloM3 View Post
AND do you really need convincing that a lower center of gravity and firmer shock rebound/dampening improves vehicle handling?
This is one those areas that I'm trying to learn more.

One thing, very firm suspension is not good on bumpy road, though with EDC that can be covered.

Tires need some suspension travel, because when the suspension is compressed, you get more negative camber. So in straight line, you have some x amounts of negative camber (preferably not too much), and when cornering (which is when you need more negative camber), due to weight transfer you get more negative camber. So if you lower the car so much, such that you're having very limited suspension travel, how would that effect this 'dynamic' negative camber?

Also, weight on tires increases their grip. Not so much of course, but having some extra weight on a tire increases its grip. So firmer suspension, less body roll, less weight transfer, less grip on outside tires during cornering... But than there is a bit of testing required here to find the limits of tires in terms of handling the extra weight due to cornering.

Any inputs?
      02-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #26
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drives: very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
I agree with this.... That's why I went Eibach as well. I hate the slammed look too, childish in my opinion. The Eibach's are nice cause they give a noticeable but subtle drop and there are zero clearance issues. I never bottom out or hit the bumper with them. They definitely do make the car look more aggressive too. The gap just doesn't look right over the front tire from the factory.

+1. Eibachs here with a front lip and no scraping or white knuckle moments.

2008 SmartCar - 2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Poleposition is offline   United_States
      02-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #27
jimmy ny
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 bmw m3

Waiting for Dinan to come out w ZCP specific springs. They will probably just lower it a tad more plus new bumpstops. The best bang for the buck and maybe get the front swaybar out of an E93 convertable, I heard thats a little bigger. That would be a great setup. Anybody who knows about springs nows progressive rate spring is superior to oem.
      02-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #28
eisenb11
Major

Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

One thing I and the people with me noticed while I was at the dealer drooling over E92 M3s was that they're higher off the ground than my E93 328i.

I then went home and pulled up the data from the bmwusa site and my suspicions were (kind of) confirmed.

Doing apples to apples:

E93 328i = 54.5"
E93 M3 = 54.8", 54.4" (ZCP)

E92 328i = 54.9"
E92 M3 = 55.6", 55.2" (ZCP)

Unfortunately, there is no spec but I was eyeballing the difference from the ground to the bottom of the side bottom trim piece (which I think would be a better measure for clearance than the car height spec) when I noticed that it seems to have higher clearance.

-- EDIT --

I added ZCP numbers. 10mm = 0.4".

-- EDIT 2 --

I really wish bmwusa had actual clearance numbers posted. The height between the E92 and E93 are misleading because the E93 is not lower than the E92, it's roof just doesn't go as high since it's flatter due to being a vert.

Last edited by eisenb11; 02-25-2011 at 02:55 PM.
eisenb11 is offline   United_States
      02-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #29
immiketoo
Colonel

Drives: Smoothly

I wanted a slightly more agressive look without the hassles of modifying so I am getting the the ZCP on my new car. That said, my 09 still looks badd ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
      02-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #30
Elaz
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 e92

every one has an idea of what they want there car to look like.unless someone from this post wants to start paying my monthly payments I'll put what ever i feel make my car the way i want it to look.that's just my opinion.
Elaz is offline   United_States
      02-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #31
scottEdog1
Private First Class

Drives: e90 m3

I am with you on this Ian, I like to not be so high and just a touch from the eibachs are perfect for this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
I understand where you are coming from. The stock suspension is very good, but I still feel it's just a touch too high. Eibachs which give a 19mm front 14mm rear drop look just about perfect to me.

Any lower and the car seems to look worn out and tired. IMO
      02-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #32
emthreeboy
Captain

Drives: E92 M3 & E46 M3

An M3 NEEDS to be dropped!

-06 E46 JET BLACK/// m3 6MT!
      02-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #33
Gkap
BMF Movement

Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
e93s have WAYYY too much of a gap in the front

rear is perfect.. but front sucks
+1

When I was at the dealer looking at the M I noticed that to.
The front does sit way to high, if the front sat like the rear did
I could have lived with it (maybe). Once you change wheels though
IMO a drop is necessary.
Gkap is offline   Canada
      02-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #34
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: .

Not a fan of lowering with just springs. If I were to lower, I'd do the coilover route or shocks/springs.
      02-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #35
jeffnnj
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
yes, i already find myself scraping the bottom of the front bumper on moderately steep driveways...i dont know how people who lower it AND get the lip can endure it...its gotta hurt every time u hit it...but i can understand if they have show cars and hardly drive em
+1
2002 M3 Convertible Titanium Silver/Black(retired)
1998 328i Convertible Arctic Silver/Gray(retired)
jeffnnj is offline   United_States
      02-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #36
Gkap
BMF Movement

Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Not a fan of lowering with just springs. If I were to lower, I'd do the coilover route or shocks/springs.
I agree with this as well.

The proper way to lower a car is with a coilover kit.
It should be installed at an optimal ride height and corner balanced
to minimize "lean" when cornering. Most people though lower
there cars for looks.
Gkap is offline   Canada
      02-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #37
donovan
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package

The gap is ridiculous. Thats why, if the shit came just a half inch lower, i'd still drop it because thats how I ride, however that extra half inch might satisfy the normal person.

e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
donovan is offline   Germany
      02-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #38
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Just gotta say, after selling my 135i, most people don't care for mods and it can be a PITA when trying to unload. That's why I just ordered ZCP and don't plan any future mods (knock on wood) - especially not suspension .... other than maybe a new muffler

so I agree w/ you OP
      02-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #39
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

I'm with you on the stock suspension although I do like the ZCP ride height as well. If I do anything there, it will be a ZCP retrofit.

[m3post] 'Needs a drop/ painted reflectors/ flush wheels/ tacky CF parts stuck everywhere/ 'tints'/ loud exhaust' [/m3post]

Only then will members proclaim your car sick, dope, etc in your photo shoot thread.

02-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #40
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General

Drives: '08 E92 M3

Needs a drop.
      02-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #41
calintexas
Major

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

This Says it All

The video at this link fully discusses the subject. Some agree with the tan teddy bear, some agree with the brown teddy bear, and many are somewhere in between (I favor the brown guy's view): http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485079
      02-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #42
MonteCarloM3
Banned

Drives: a shitty M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
$5,000PaintJobM3: You get better shock rebound/damping from a set of lowering springs? That sounds like a patentable technology, whoever sells those better call a patent attorney! A nice set of coilovers might (and might not) provide better damping but that's not what you're saying, you're talking about a drop.

By the way, "dampening" is the act of making something "damp." If your springs are getting your shocks wet, something is wrong.

Obviously I need to get out of this thread before I start trying to inject facts into it.
i'm sorry you're a hater on my MonteCarlo M3, i bought it because i liked it. i'm not making fun of anyone else's car here, your comments are not appropriate. grow up son.

if you think lowering springs have rebound/damping, then you really don't know what springs are. kwv3's give you both rebound and and compression damping control. oops, sp mistake, i'm not perfect like some people here are. Here is the link for you to read and learn more.
MonteCarloM3 is offline   Uzbekistan
      02-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #43
esquire
Colonel

Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe

I'm a patent attorney so I thought I'd chime in here - I for one love your paint job Monte CarloM3 .

Back on topic, I agree completely with the OP. Dropping the car really does make using the car as a DD appreciably more difficult - which is why I haven't dropped my car. But I have to say, even knowing this fact, I find myself dangerously tempted by the looks of a nice drop. It really does look THAT much better.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
esquire is offline   United_States
      02-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #44
aajami
Brigadier General

Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
I'm with you on the stock suspension although I do like the ZCP ride height as well. If I do anything there, it will be a ZCP retrofit.

[m3post] 'Needs a drop/ painted reflectors/ flush wheels/ tacky CF parts stuck everywhere/ 'tints'/ loud exhaust' [/m3post]

Only then will members proclaim your car sick, dope, etc in your photo shoot thread.

That's exactly what I did:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411923
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States