BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #177
m33
Banned
m33's Avatar
United_States
50
Rep
2,697
Posts

 
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
I could not find a motor in the US that was under $15K and both were hydrolocked. I found one in Europe, and I was lucky that it only had 5K miles on it, my motor was approx. $10.5K shipped. $8K is a steal for a motor with only 12K miles on it, as I'm sure you probably know they go for $26K new, and that's probably wholesale price.
That's a steal for sure , shit I would buy a motor at that price to build !!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #178
phusion974
Lieutenant
phusion974's Avatar
Armenia
6
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: OE Tuned C63
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Good stuff . Those C63s with the P31 package are no joke.
+1
They are fast right outta the box.
A tuned C63 is neck and neck with a stock P31.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #179
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
3,497
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chako View Post
Up and running!
I am happy for DLSJ5
haha, thanks man!


Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
+1
They are fast right outta the box.
A tuned C63 is neck and neck with a stock P31.
Agreed, I like the C63 a lot! Was your car at Gintani a few days ago?
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #180
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
3,497
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by m33 View Post
That's a steal for sure , shit I would buy a motor at that price to build !!
Agreed!
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #181
TX
First Lieutenant
11
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
DLSJ5:

I am totally amazed that they are covering any cost of the rebuild. I doubt they would do the same for any of us if our engines blew. I doubt any other tuning shop would do that either. I would feel VERY lucky if I were you. I just hope that if anyone else on this board blows a gintani tune, they get the same service, but my gut says they won't.

Cheers,
TX
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #182
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
3,497
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
DLSJ5:

I am totally amazed that they are covering any cost of the rebuild. I doubt they would do the same for any of us if our engines blew. I doubt any other tuning shop would do that either. I would feel VERY lucky if I were you. I just hope that if anyone else on this board blows a gintani tune, they get the same service, but my gut says they won't.

Cheers,
TX
I do feel lucky.

My agreement with them before I installed the charger was they would cover the motor for a year if it blew, otherwise at the time I probably wouldn't have done it, hearing about the Gpower issues made me hesitant. I was also under the impression that the other cars at the time had the same coverage that I did. You are right many probably wouldn't cover it, I'm very thankful to them for that.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:24 AM   #183
TX
First Lieutenant
11
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
I do feel lucky.

My agreement with them before I installed the charger was they would cover the motor for a year if it blew, otherwise at the time I probably wouldn't have done it, hearing about the Gpower issues made me hesitant. I was also under the impression that the other cars at the time had the same coverage that I did. You are right many probably wouldn't cover it, I'm very thankful to them for that.
I'm surprised they even agreed to cover your motor for 1 year if it blew up. Usually, you drive it out the door, you own it if it goes boom. You must have a special relationship with them. Since you apparently do, please put in the word with them that by them standing behind a product and a customer like they have with you, they will earn many many more customers if they treat them all the same as you. Good customer support = great business.
I just hope if I pull the trigger and buy a gintani kit and toast my engine, I dont get kicked out the door.
Cheers.
X
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #184
TX
First Lieutenant
11
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
....and the second thing that comes to mind since you didn't make it 1 year with a blown motor is that perhaps you were pushing a 100hp / L motor to 140hp / L and that was beyond the abilities of this motor @ the very high stock compression. Possibly gintani knows this and that is why they are so willing to help you out? Ehh or not.
I've had a few beers so maybe I'm talking out my rear..
-X
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #185
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
dlbrooks18's Avatar
51
Rep
3,583
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Good to see your car is healthy and running again. Would you have considered a used M5 V10 swap? Check out this cool E46 M3:

__________________

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #186
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
3,497
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
Good to see your car is healthy and running again. Would you have considered a used M5 V10 swap? Check out this cool E46 M3
Thanks, haha, it crossed my mind but no, too much work and I'd have to loose the DCT!
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #187
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
dlbrooks18's Avatar
51
Rep
3,583
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
Thanks, haha, it crossed my mind but no, too much work and I'd have to loose the DCT!
True that DCT is fast.. so what are your plans exactly, to build the engine up to handle more boost right?
__________________

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #188
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
3,497
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
True that DCT is fast.. so what are your plans exactly, to build the engine up to handle more boost right?
At this time there is no plans to build the motor and add more boost, you never know though.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #189
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
dlbrooks18's Avatar
51
Rep
3,583
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
At this time there is no plans to build the motor and add more boost, you never know though.
Cool, I mean your car runs 11's w/o boost so enjoy Maybe wait and see how the new M3 turns out, cause like you said nothing like FI from the factory.
__________________

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #190
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
3,497
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
Cool, I mean your car runs 11's in NA and bolt-ons so enjoy Maybe wait and see how the new M3 turns out, cause like you said nothing like FI from the factory.
I should have been more specific, I don't plan on keeping the car stock, just no plans right now to build the motor and go with 12+psi, but I am keeping my options open for FI again, we'll see. But yes the next M3 will certainly be at the top of my list for my next car! Or maybe I'll keep this and do a Stage 3, I really do love this car.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #191
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
dlbrooks18's Avatar
51
Rep
3,583
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
I should have been more specific, I don't plan on keeping the car stock, just no plans right now to build the motor and go with 12+psi, but I am keeping my options open for FI again, we'll see. But yes the next M3 will certainly be at the top of my list for my next car! Or maybe I'll keep this and do a Stage 3, I really do love this car.
Sounds like a plan, can't wait to see what you decide.. I'm waiting to see what HPF does for the 335, then we can meet up in Mexico haha..
__________________

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #192
phusion974
Lieutenant
phusion974's Avatar
Armenia
6
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: OE Tuned C63
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
Agreed, I like the C63 a lot! Was your car at Gintani a few days ago?
No, My buddy was there a few days ago getting his C63 tuned. Was the one you saw a silver one with the carbon fiber hood?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #193
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
3,497
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
No, My buddy was there a few days ago getting his C63 tuned. Was the one you saw a silver one with the carbon fiber hood?
Yes, very nice car! Jeremy inferred that it's very fast as well.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #194
phusion974
Lieutenant
phusion974's Avatar
Armenia
6
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: OE Tuned C63
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
Yes, very nice car! Jeremy inferred that it's very fast as well.
Ya, he fixed it up pretty nice. I think he got around 50hp with the tune.

Btw glad to hear your M3 is up and running again.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #195
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
3,497
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
Ya, he fixed it up pretty nice. I think he got around 50hp with the tune.

Btw glad to hear your M3 is up and running again.
Thanks man!
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #196
spdy330
Major General
spdy330's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
6,074
Posts

 
Drives: 05 Tundra, 11 M3, 08 Odyssey
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (161)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to spdy330 Send a message via Yahoo to spdy330
I know this is an old thread but however I just read the latest regarding Paul Walker and it mentioned your car. Gintani sounds like a great company and I am glad they are local to me in the event I decide to get a SC when my warranty expires.

Drew you sound like a great person and had a great attitude during this whole ordeal.

From the time you were getting this motor put together did they take it apart again to do the stage 3? How has the car been running and any more burning oil issues like the '08 motor? What year was the replacement motor that was dropped in?
__________________
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #197
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
DLSJ5's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
3,497
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post
I know this is an old thread but however I just read the latest regarding Paul Walker and it mentioned your car. Gintani sounds like a great company and I am glad they are local to me in the event I decide to get a SC when my warranty expires.

Drew you sound like a great person and had a great attitude during this whole ordeal.

From the time you were getting this motor put together did they take it apart again to do the stage 3? How has the car been running and any more burning oil issues like the '08 motor? What year was the replacement motor that was dropped in?
Appreciate the kind words. I was not able to build the original motor, the block had a hole in it, but I never had any oil burning issues with the original motor.

The 2nd motor I believe is from a 2009 car, not positive though. No issues so far and it does not burn oil.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #198
Dodge2Dub
Captain
13
Rep
910
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (6)

Drew, any updates as to what actually caused the failure?
__________________
E90 M3: Some cool stuff...more to come
Ducati 1199 Panigale: Bucket full of mods
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST