BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #89
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DublinM3 View Post
I do not think ESS is conservative to just be conservative. They have posted many times that it is not a good idea to run high boost on this motor. Im sure they tested the limits of this motor and set boost limits before they released their supercharger kits. Im not sure how much testing went into Drew's 9 psi setup before he installed it or if he was the test car but it sounds like if he had to do it over again he might not have run as high of boost as he did.
This is true they have posted that. I honestly don't get how the term "conservative" can be used to describe FI on the S65, lol, but yes they do not run anything past 7.5psi and I've always stated that I respect and understand that, and I think those cars that slightly go over 7psi that are back east, do so because of the cool air this time of year, they are on pump as well. All the companies offer low boost options, if you push it a bit more, the margin of error becomes much smaller of course, I knew that, but did not in anyway want to deal with a blown motor, it's not fun.

I ran Meth, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably run race fuel all the time when I did my spirited driving, and not rely on the Meth with 91 octane. You are correct, I'd lower the boost a bit, the problem with me is I like to go faster, and it's hard to stay content with just being "quick." I wanted to run with Modded GTR's, P-cars, exotics, and HPF M3's. I need to show some restraint with this car, or eventually move onto a different platform as some already have.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #90
alpina527
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, England

Posts: 638
iTrader: (1)

That's great service from Gintani, but what happens if it goes bang again?
alpina527 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #91
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 ZCP Melbourne 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,266
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by phusion974 View Post
This is kinda off topic but is the S65 V8 motor an open deck block or closed deck?
It's a closed deck block.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.

Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #92
m33
Banned
 
m33's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 2,697
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DublinM3 View Post
I do not think ESS is conservative to just be conservative. They have posted many times that it is not a good idea to run high boost on this motor. Im sure they tested the limits of this motor and set boost limits before they released their supercharger kits. Im not sure how much testing went into Drew's 9 psi setup before he installed it or if he was the test car but it sounds like if he had to do it over again he might not have run as high of boost as he did.
This is true they have posted that. I honestly don't get how the term "conservative" can be used to describe FI on the S65, lol, but yes they do not run anything past 7.5psi and I've always stated that I respect and understand that, and I think those cars that slightly go over 7psi that are back east, do so because of the cool air this time of year, they are on pump as well. All the companies offer low boost options, if you push it a bit more, the margin of error becomes much smaller of course, I knew that, but did not in anyway want to deal with a blown motor, it's not fun.

I ran Meth, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably run race fuel all the time when I did my spirited driving, and not rely on the Meth with 91 octane. You are correct, I'd lower the boost a bit, the problem with me is I like to go faster, and it's hard to stay content with just being "quick." I wanted to run with Modded GTR's, P-cars, exotics, and HPF M3's. I need to show some restraint with this car, or eventually move onto a different platform as some already have.
Got my eye on the 997tt it has the best of all worlds
m33 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #93
pbonsalb
Major
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

Posts: 1,439
iTrader: (3)

91 is not boost friendly octane -- we may have winter in New England, but we also have 93. Was the meth pure or mixed with water? How many CC or what percentage related to fuel injected? Any estimate of resulting octane?
pbonsalb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #94
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post

I ran Meth, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably run race fuel all the time when I did my spirited driving, and not rely on the Meth with 91 octane. You are correct, I'd lower the boost a bit, the problem with me is I like to go faster, and it's hard to stay content with just being "quick." I wanted to run with Modded GTR's, P-cars, exotics, and HPF M3's. I need to show some restraint with this car, or eventually move onto a different platform as some already have.
Why not just build the motor to handle high boost and hp level? I know it's expensive and probably more money than it's worth for this car, but it would be cool. More power is always available, just depends how deep your pockets are.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #95
mikewads
Lieutenant
 
mikewads's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia

Posts: 470
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
This is true they have posted that. I honestly don't get how the term "conservative" can be used to describe FI on the S65, lol, but yes they do not run anything past 7.5psi and I've always stated that I respect and understand that, and I think those cars that slightly go over 7psi that are back east, do so because of the cool air this time of year, they are on pump as well. All the companies offer low boost options, if you push it a bit more, the margin of error becomes much smaller of course, I knew that, but did not in anyway want to deal with a blown motor, it's not fun.

I ran Meth, if I had to do it over again, I'd probably run race fuel all the time when I did my spirited driving, and not rely on the Meth with 91 octane. You are correct, I'd lower the boost a bit, the problem with me is I like to go faster, and it's hard to stay content with just being "quick." I wanted to run with Modded GTR's, P-cars, exotics, and HPF M3's. I need to show some restraint with this car, or eventually move onto a different platform as some already have.


Did you think anymore about swapping over to a Vortech with an internal oiling system? Should be an easy swap. If you do decide to lower the boost and want to run a small shot of nitrous to whoop up on those exotics give me a call!
__________________
2012 Blue Pearl GT-R
1068whp & 906wtq on E85 / 60 - 130 MPH in 3.8 secs

2009 BMW M3 ESS Supercharged / Nitrous - 10.87 @ 131 MPH / 60 - 130 MPH in 6.23 secs

Last edited by mikewads; 02-24-2011 at 06:41 PM.
mikewads is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #96
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewads View Post


Did you think anymore about swapping over to a Vortech that has its on oiling system? Should be an easy swap. If you do decide to lower the boost and want to run a small shot of nitrous to whoop up on those exotics give me a call!
Haha, love your new avatar! Maybe I should get one as well so we can continue are Vbox battles. I have thought about the V3, not a big fan of nitrous, so I think I'll skip that.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi

Last edited by DLSJ5; 02-24-2011 at 06:47 PM.
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #97
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Why not just build the motor to handle high boost and hp level? I know it's expensive and probably more money than it's worth for this car, but it would be cool. More power is always available, just depends how deep your pockets are.
I have thought about it, but have yet to see anyone running with thousands of miles on a built motor, and many of my friends had E46 M3's with built motors, but many never ran right, so I'll probably skip that as well.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #98
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
91 is not boost friendly octane -- we may have winter in New England, but we also have 93. Was the meth pure or mixed with water? How many CC or what percentage related to fuel injected? Any estimate of resulting octane?
It was 50/50 mix, not sure on your last two questions.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #99
PedM5
New Member
 
Drives: '02 M5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: socal

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Sorry to hear about your car drew, what would you replace it with if you decide not to keep it?
PedM5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #100
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedM5 View Post
Sorry to hear about your car drew, what would you replace it with if you decide not to keep it?
Hey Ped,

GTR probably, how you been?
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #101
PedM5
New Member
 
Drives: '02 M5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: socal

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
Hey Ped,

GTR probably, how you been?
I'm good man,

You can't argue with a GTR for performance, but I don't know...I just can't picture you in something other than a BMW lol
PedM5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #102
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedM5 View Post
I'm good man,

You can't argue with a GTR for performance, but I don't know...I just can't picture you in something other than a BMW lol
Haha, I hear you, do you still have the M5 and lotus?
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #103
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Malek@MRF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 ZCP Melbourne 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

Posts: 3,266
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Why not just build the motor to handle high boost and hp level? I know it's expensive and probably more money than it's worth for this car, but it would be cool. More power is always available, just depends how deep your pockets are.
I agree.

DLSJ5, you are asking to be a part of some very big company power/speed wise.

Do it right, spend the time to get the lower compression pistons in there. Build the motor the right way, by the right people in the correct environment.

Since you are in there, I would go for a displacement bump as well. There are plenty of solutions out there for this as well.

Good luck bro, let me know if I can offer you any help.
__________________

BMW PERFORMANCE SPECIALISTS. Suspension. Forced Induction. Brakes. Race Preparation. Service. Alignments.
OFFICIAL PARTNERS: Íhlins. KW Suspension. Brembo. AP Racing. ESS Tuning. iND Distribution. Turner Motorsport.

Facebook | Instagram | Yelp! | Flikr | Contact | YouTube
Malek@MRF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #104
swamp2
Major General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 9,560
iTrader: (1)

Not to be a contrarian but Gintani is probably replacing this motor more for their own benefit rather than from any sense of altruism.
__________________
E92 M3 | Space Gray on Fox Red | M-DCT | CF Roof | RAC RG63 Wheels | Brembo 380mm BBK |
| Vorsteiner Ti Exhaust | Matte Black Grilles/Side Gills/Rear Emblem/Mirrors |
| Alekshop Back up Camera | GP Thunders | BMW Aluminum Pedals | Elite Angels |
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #105
e36jakeo
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern CA

Posts: 624
iTrader: (0)

I had a rod bearing failuire in my stock 08 M3. I broke it in as per BMW, then did some 1/4 mile tests with ~2500 miles on the engine. After returning to normal driving I heard a rattling in the engine. Took it to BMW and they said it was a rod bearing. They claimed 2 overrevs to 8700 rpm which, given , the fact it can run to 8400 all day, and many chips allow it to go to 8600 or higher, should not cause engine failure.

The folks from BMW came in to look into it. I wound up with a brand new engine uinder warranty. I now have over 32K miles on her, including about 6 track days, and no problems. I think the early engines may have had rod bearing issues based upon my experience.
__________________
Driving sideways: It's not faster, but damn it's more fun!
e36jakeo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #106
powerchip
New Member
 
Drives: MMM
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
Haha, I hear you, do you still have the M5 and lotus?
Yessir, added an e36 m3 to the family as well (my 3rd one)

It was a hard decision cause that money could've gone for bigger turbos on the lotus so I could do mexico runs with the big boys again lol oh well
powerchip is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #107
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerchip View Post
Yessir, added an e36 m3 to the family as well (my 3rd one)

It was a hard decision cause that money could've gone for bigger turbos on the lotus so I could do mexico runs with the big boys again lol oh well
Are you going to boost the E36?
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2011, 12:55 AM   #108
huangover
New Member
 
huangover's Avatar
 
Drives: Nissan GTR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The OC

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

amazing that gintani is picking up the tab on this. i have never heard of a tuner take care of a customers car in this way... and I have personally experienced this and have had many friends blow motors. this is part of the game when you push the limits. race cars rebuild motors after 50 hours to 100 hours and we're not even talking about FI vehicles. anyone who expects to run their car hard and make 100k miles is dreaming in the first place (either that or they aren't driving hard enough). i would however reconsider running 91 and meth. I've seen enough meth system failures on all types of cars, and then you are basically left with crappy 91. Not worth it imo. run good race gas, or turn the boost down.

don't let the small digs get to you, in terms of forum sampling, a very small percentage of people actually disclose catastrophic failures. thanks for sharing the good and the bad so all of us can learn from your experience. good luck on the rebuild and look forward to seeing you on the road ahead soon!
huangover is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #109
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by m33 View Post
Got my eye on the 997tt it has the best of all worlds
Can't go wrong with that choice.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #110
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
I had a rod bearing failuire in my stock 08 M3. I broke it in as per BMW, then did some 1/4 mile tests with ~2500 miles on the engine. After returning to normal driving I heard a rattling in the engine. Took it to BMW and they said it was a rod bearing. They claimed 2 overrevs to 8700 rpm which, given , the fact it can run to 8400 all day, and many chips allow it to go to 8600 or higher, should not cause engine failure.

The folks from BMW came in to look into it. I wound up with a brand new engine uinder warranty. I now have over 32K miles on her, including about 6 track days, and no problems. I think the early engines may have had rod bearing issues based upon my experience.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to see BMW took care of it.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST