BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
ZWEAPON
Captain
13
Rep
816
Posts

Drives: 540 RWHP
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: K/W

iTrader: (0)

Top Gear BMW M3 vs Audi RS5

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
STALKER
Brigadier General
57
Rep
3,731
Posts

Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

We all knew how this was going to end for Audi.
I hate how JC does not explain things fully though many times, like with the EDC settings.
__________________

2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2012 Golf R
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
jonasaurus's Avatar
United Kingdom
37
Rep
3,158
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Already 2 threads on this topic...
__________________
///M3 | E90 LCI | Space Grey | Fox Red with CF Structure | 6MT | 260M | My build
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
201
Rep
7,280
Posts

Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
Turborulz
Private
0
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: Porsche 996 TT
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Except for the Hottie, this episode does not really stand out.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
201
Rep
7,280
Posts

Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborulz View Post
Except for the Hottie, this episode does not really stand out.
Because it shows how poor handling Audi's are ?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
MonteCarloM3
Banned
MonteCarloM3's Avatar
Uzbekistan
16
Rep
577
Posts

Drives: a shitty M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Uranus

iTrader: (0)

i really don't know why tv shows and magazines constantly put audi and bmw cars in contests. the companies are going in different directions. audi's brand is quattro awd which implies safety as well as the luxury of the audi brand. bmw's brand is fun, sportiness combined with luxury.
maybe because they are both german and need something to write about.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
STALKER
Brigadier General
57
Rep
3,731
Posts

Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloM3 View Post
i really don't know why tv shows and magazines constantly put audi and bmw cars in contests. the companies are going in different directions. audi's brand is quattro awd which implies safety as well as the luxury of the audi brand. bmw's brand is fun, sportiness combined with luxury.
maybe because they are both german and need something to write about.
Because the M3 is the benchmark in the segment.
__________________

2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2012 Golf R
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
MonteCarloM3
Banned
MonteCarloM3's Avatar
Uzbekistan
16
Rep
577
Posts

Drives: a shitty M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Uranus

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Because the M3 is the benchmark in the segment.
ok, and audi is the benchmark for AWD. have you seen any quattro vs X drive comparisons recently?

bmw should be compared to other rwd sports cars like porsche, probably not MB because they are more about luxury than sportiness, corvette, mustang...etc.

sure, bmw is a great driving car but let's do some comparisons that make sense. quattro shines when driving conditions are miseraable, heavy rain, snow, slush etc. let's see a video comparison of those two in some deep snow and see how it goes. audi will smoke bmw in that comparison, makes no sense to even do it other than to promote the brand which audi should probably do.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
69
Rep
4,972
Posts

Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Tell that to Audi - they are the ones that keep getting into Marketing pissing matches with BMW and MB - they do it to themselves. They have always compared the RS and even S models to the applicable M model. Lambo and Ferrari compare and there is an example of AWD and RWD. Its all about the performance benchmark. Marketing and Journalism, gotta love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
MonteCarloM3
Banned
MonteCarloM3's Avatar
Uzbekistan
16
Rep
577
Posts

Drives: a shitty M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Uranus

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Tell that to Audi - they are the ones that keep getting into Marketing pissing matches with BMW and MB - they do it to themselves. They have always compared the RS and even S models to the applicable M model. Lambo and Ferrari compare and there is an example of AWD and RWD. Its all about the performance benchmark. Marketing and Journalism, gotta love it.
very true, i guess they are asking for it!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
Turborulz
Private
0
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: Porsche 996 TT
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Because it shows how poor handling Audi's are ?
No, I happened to think Audi's are great cars, as I said in my prior post, the show was boring.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
201
Rep
7,280
Posts

Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborulz View Post
No, I happened to think Audi's are great cars, as I said in my prior post, the show was boring.
The blonde was hot but I know that is of little interest to you
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #14
Turborulz
Private
0
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: Porsche 996 TT
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloM3 View Post
ok, and audi is the benchmark for AWD. have you seen any quattro vs X drive comparisons recently?

bmw should be compared to other rwd sports cars like porsche, probably not MB because they are more about luxury than sportiness, corvette, mustang...etc.

sure, bmw is a great driving car but let's do some comparisons that make sense. quattro shines when driving conditions are miseraable, heavy rain, snow, slush etc. let's see a video comparison of those two in some deep snow and see how it goes. audi will smoke bmw in that comparison, makes no sense to even do it other than to promote the brand which audi should probably do.
Audi is the benchmark for AWD, incredible in the winter under all conditions.

Regarding RWD sports cars, I found this article written by Chris Harris.
I don't want to spoil his conclusion, but definitely have to agree.

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/featur...ar_xkr_75.html
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
Turborulz
Private
0
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: Porsche 996 TT
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
The blonde was hot but I know that is of little interest to you

How do you know this, cause you are the Benchmark for attractive Men.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #16
STALKER
Brigadier General
57
Rep
3,731
Posts

Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloM3 View Post
ok, and audi is the benchmark for AWD. have you seen any quattro vs X drive comparisons recently?

bmw should be compared to other rwd sports cars like porsche, probably not MB because they are more about luxury than sportiness, corvette, mustang...etc.

sure, bmw is a great driving car but let's do some comparisons that make sense. quattro shines when driving conditions are miseraable, heavy rain, snow, slush etc. let's see a video comparison of those two in some deep snow and see how it goes. audi will smoke bmw in that comparison, makes no sense to even do it other than to promote the brand which audi should probably do.
A 911 is in a completely different segment. You ever driven a 997.2 S? It's much faster then a E9x M3, also a lot more $$$$.

When they compare a 3 series or 5 series with X drive, who do they compare it to, Audi.

If you want to set a standard, you must first beat the existing one, which in this case is the M3.
__________________

2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2012 Golf R
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
SlammedR8
Major General
SlammedR8's Avatar
Canada
134
Rep
5,001
Posts

Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Range
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
This shows what a great car the M3 is....its an outgoing 4 year old model already...was probably developed at least a year or two before it arrived on the market, and yet, somehow it spanks the RS5 (which isn't even released yet) around the track.

I can appreciate Audi for being a great car...but the way they go about doing business PISSES me off.. A little off topic, but my girlfriend loves the Audi Q5..so we went to Audi to take a look at it and get some prices. Tell me if this makes any sense...

The car is approx $55 000 (loaded with most options, including S line), but somehow the lease payment with $3000 due on signing is $930 on a 48 month lease..you do the Math!

$930x48 = $44 640 + your $3000 due on signing
your paying $47 640 on a car that goes for $55 000 ?

Bunch of idiots!
__________________
2010 Audi R8 V10 Coupe 6MT-White on Red
20" Modulare B31 | GMG Exhaust | H&R Springs | H&R Spacers | Carbonio Intake | UniTronic ECU Upgrade | 15% Tints/50% Windshield | Wrapped Gloss Black Roof
2013 Range Rover Sport-Black on Black
Stock with 15% Tint & 50% Windshield
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
201
Rep
7,280
Posts

Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborulz View Post
How do you know this, cause you are the Benchmark for attractive Men.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #19
MonteCarloM3
Banned
MonteCarloM3's Avatar
Uzbekistan
16
Rep
577
Posts

Drives: a shitty M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Uranus

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
A 911 is in a completely different segment. You ever driven a 997.2 S? It's much faster then a E9x M3, also a lot more $$$$.

When they compare a 3 series or 5 series with X drive, who do they compare it to, Audi.

If you want to set a standard, you must first beat the existing one, which in this case is the M3.
M3 is the standard for AWD sport sedans/coupes?
that is exactly my point, it's like comparing apples and oranges, two different categories. or if you want to compare, i guess we should compare bmw's best 2 door coupe(M3) to audi's best 2 door coupe (R8). but you'll say that's not fair, the R8 is more expensive.
can't have it both ways bub. i know bimmer fans love to compare their m3 to cars they feel are inferior, seems like a common theme.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #20
Turborulz
Private
0
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: Porsche 996 TT
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Is that a screenshot of your computer monitor?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #21
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
201
Rep
7,280
Posts

Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turborulz View Post
Is that a screenshot of your computer monitor?
Much better than yours

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
SlammedR8
Major General
SlammedR8's Avatar
Canada
134
Rep
5,001
Posts

Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Range
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloM3 View Post
M3 is the standard for AWD sport sedans/coupes?
that is exactly my point, it's like comparing apples and oranges, two different categories. or if you want to compare, i guess we should compare bmw's best 2 door coupe(M3) to audi's best 2 door coupe (R8). but you'll say that's not fair, the R8 is more expensive.
can't have it both ways bub. i know bimmer fans love to compare their m3 to cars they feel are inferior, seems like a common theme.
geez man. Give it up. Do you secretely have an Audi on order?

The R8 is nearly twice the price of an M3...so ya you obviously can't compare the two.

The RS5 is suppoosed to be more expensive then the M3 anyways...so thats just another ridiculous move by Audi!

Certain things in life simply CAN'T be argued with...Like the fact that the M3 is the benchmark in the segment!!!!!!
__________________
2010 Audi R8 V10 Coupe 6MT-White on Red
20" Modulare B31 | GMG Exhaust | H&R Springs | H&R Spacers | Carbonio Intake | UniTronic ECU Upgrade | 15% Tints/50% Windshield | Wrapped Gloss Black Roof
2013 Range Rover Sport-Black on Black
Stock with 15% Tint & 50% Windshield
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:22 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST