BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #23
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
 
1sikbmr's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York

Posts: 3,279
iTrader: (14)

congrats and welcome the the better side of the grass...
__________________

E90 ///M3 6MT Atlantis Blue - Fox red #TEAMMODE
ESS VT1-550|Volk TE37|Recaro|STOPTECH|Ohlins R/T|Mode Carbon GT4 Lip|Umnitza V4 |Agency Power/Sosi/ACM Test Pipes|BMW PSW V1|
1sikbmr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #24
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,500
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
even though Audi has an advantage of all wheel traction, an M3 is still "fun" to drive; going out of a turn and doing a fishtale is an awesome feeling
I considered an S4, test drove one, fell in love with it; however, something about an M3 that remains in my mind.
Well congrats either way.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #25
BMWBoss
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 474
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats...you made an excellent choice.
BMWBoss is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #26
PKL
Colonel
 
PKL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica

Posts: 2,467
iTrader: (0)

I was damn close to pulling the trigger on an '11 S4... then I woke up! M3 is such a better car!
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT
PKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #27
Nelrock
Lieutenant
 
Nelrock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Oklahoma

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
Well, I ordered an Audi Exclusive Sepang Blue Pearl S4 on November 17th. Fast forward three months to late February. Not only do I not have the car, but I still don't have a build date.

I've been back and forth with my wife about allowing me to keep the S2000 and get an M3. The S4 was going to replace the S2000. I didn't want to put 20,000 miles a year on the M3, and the S4's practicality advantage over the M3 made me try to buy it.

So I can't sleep last night, I log onto M3Post and see the video from top gear of the M3 spanking the RS5. Even with the APR tune and exhaust and Stasis suspension; the M3 is still going to be a better car that the S4.

I woke up this morning, put the hard sell on to the wife, canceled the S4 order (they completely understood that I wasn't willing to wait 9 months to get my car), sent email to David Aviles to get the PCD order started.

I guess I won't have to lurk around here unwanted any longer.

I'm ordering Le Mans w/ Competition Pkg.
Congrats man!
My first order was damaged in transit, so I had to wait out a 2nd car...so I know how you feel.
I think you'll be glad though. The car kicks ass. I drive mine all the time for no other reason than to just drive it.
__________________

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Nelrock is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #28
gr8000
Major
 
gr8000's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

Posts: 1,172
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
at last a man of sound mind
gr8000 is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ADV.1 Matt's Avatar
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,512
iTrader: (0)

Great choice! I'm sure you'll love it. Also - great color. Lemans is amazing!
ADV.1 Matt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #30
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
 
J-9's Avatar
 
Drives: around all the retirees.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Panama City Beach, FL

Posts: 882
iTrader: (0)

This just made my day. Congrats. And based on the options, it looks as if you'll be a fellow "single-hump" dash. You will be satisfied with this car from the moment you press the starter for the first time. Don't be afraid to put miles on it; IMHO this one of the nicest daily drivers in the world.
__________________
-Paul, BMWCCA #447670
2007 E63 M6 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim / Borla Catback / Matte Black Grilles
Planned: MTEC V3 LED Angel Eyes / Black RPI Scoops / Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
J-9 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #31
Cold Steel
Cutter
 
Drives: 2011 E90
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
Well, I ordered an Audi Exclusive Sepang Blue Pearl S4 on November 17th. Fast forward three months to late February. Not only do I not have the car, but I still don't have a build date.

I've been back and forth with my wife about allowing me to keep the S2000 and get an M3. The S4 was going to replace the S2000. I didn't want to put 20,000 miles a year on the M3, and the S4's practicality advantage over the M3 made me try to buy it.

So I can't sleep last night, I log onto M3Post and see the video from top gear of the M3 spanking the RS5. Even with the APR tune and exhaust and Stasis suspension; the M3 is still going to be a better car that the S4.

I woke up this morning, put the hard sell on to the wife, canceled the S4 order (they completely understood that I wasn't willing to wait 9 months to get my car), sent email to David Aviles to get the PCD order started.

I guess I won't have to lurk around here unwanted any longer.

I'm ordering Le Mans w/ Competition Pkg.
Excellent decision. I owned a 2004 S4 (v8 model), and while it was a very fine car, the M3 is far superior. I remember first getting my S4 after owning an A4, and that was a fine moment. But seriously, driving the M3 is a totally different experience, no comparison. The RS5 may come close, but they don't even sell that here. The S5 is far below in performance. The only drawback to the M is that unlike the Audi, which I drove all winter, the M is not as stable in the snow. I have winter tires on my M, but don't drive it during poor winter conditions. You will not regret your choice.
Cold Steel is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #32
ploo
lover of all things car
 
ploo's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '09 E92 M3, SG '09 X5
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: texas

Posts: 237
iTrader: (1)

Congratulations! APR S4's are quick too - must've been torture waiting, I know I would never have had that kind of patience.

Did you order an E90? LeMans and Interlagos Blue look awesome on the E90, well LMB looks great on all E9x but IMHO Interlagos and the sedan are meant for each other.

Finally the "wet noodle" is no S2000 gearbox but does improve with time. Now that I'm 10000 miles in, I notice a lot less notchiness/grinding feeling from 1-2 or 3-2. A lot of people on the forum are big fans of replacing the stock knob with a ZHP knob (can even be lit). This requires buying another shift boot to cut, but you may want to look into it if you end up being unsatisfied with the shifting feel.
__________________
-phil | 2009 E92 M3 - AW/black/CF - 6MT and a silly grin every time i drive...
ploo is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #33
Money2536
Major
 
Money2536's Avatar
 
Drives: ' 15 M3 | '14 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Villages, FL

Posts: 1,285
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploo View Post
Congratulations! APR S4's are quick too - must've been torture waiting, I know I would never have had that kind of patience.

Did you order an E90? LeMans and Interlagos Blue look awesome on the E90, well LMB looks great on all E9x but IMHO Interlagos and the sedan are meant for each other.

Finally the "wet noodle" is no S2000 gearbox but does improve with time. Now that I'm 10000 miles in, I notice a lot less notchiness/grinding feeling from 1-2 or 3-2. A lot of people on the forum are big fans of replacing the stock knob with a ZHP knob (can even be lit). This requires buying another shift boot to cut, but you may want to look into it if you end up being unsatisfied with the shifting feel.
I was reading about doing swapping the shift knob. I'm sure I'll end up doing a Rogue Engineering short shifter with ZHP knob.
Money2536 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #34
adc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

Posts: 4,136
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
I was reading about doing swapping the shift knob. I'm sure I'll end up doing a Rogue Engineering short shifter with ZHP knob.
Try one before you buy, if at all possible. Maybe go to a local BMW event?


I agree with some of the other folks here saying the wet noddle actually fills the belly. When you are shifting in a hurry (say at high speed on track), the BMW shifter just magically works, meaning it gets out of the way and you lets you think about other things. As it should be.

A short shift kit might increase the mechanical feel of the system and shorten the throws - but I am not 100% convinced that it will result in better shifting when I need it most, hauling ass on track.

I might try it (as an experiment) if I can find a super-cheap used one.
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
adc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #35
ChiTownM
Private First Class
 
Drives: e92 M3 & X5M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 170
iTrader: (0)

I went through the same process about 1 year ago - Audi S4 with quattro just makes sense in Chicago, drove it and really liked it, modern feel and nice interior. Fast forward a couple of weeks and 2 M3 test drives later I end up with a an e92 M3 with DCT as the only option - never looked back! The S4 was just not in the same league in terms of driving dynamics IMO.
ChiTownM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #36
dmw16
Captain
 
Drives: 2005 ///M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 931
iTrader: (1)

OP, I saw your post debating this subject over on Audizine (yes, I'm a car forum addict). I think you made the right choice. I don't have an M3 (yet...) but as nice as the Audi is it just doesn't compare to a BMW in terms of the driving experience.

Welcome aboard!
dmw16 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST