BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
llis
octane chick
llis's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,133
Posts

 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Arrow April Bimmer Magazine review of M3 ZCP

pp. 48-53. It's not online (yet?). There's an interesting review (and second opinion) of the ZCP and what it brings to the M3 beyond the 10cm drop, EDC and wheels. (This may be old news to you all, but I haven't really seen it explained like it is in this article.)
  • Spring rates are the same, but the springs are shorter (for the lower stance).
  • "Shock damping was adjusted to cope with the lower ride height, with the changes made primarily to rebound damping rates rather than compression."
  • EDC Sport mode is modified. BMWNA M Brand Manager Larry Koch explains, "The Sport mode before ZCP was locked at 75% of the way to full stiff. It still has that as a default but is now variable like the Comfort and Normal modes." This apparently makes Sport mode more useful on the not-the-smoothest tracks.
  • Electronic modifications to DSC in M Dynamic Mode. "Unique to the M3 ZCP is a revised Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) that allows larger slip angles i.e. more fun in its sportiest M Dynamic Mode (MDM) setting. Instead of cutting engine power to maintain the car's direction, as in DSC, DTC will only apply individual brakes to keep the wheels from spinning excessively."

It's one of the best articles I've seen on the ZCP. Probably less fun than Clarkson's review on TG expected tonight, but I found it fascinating.

The April Bimmer is on the magazine stands now. I assume they eventually put their articles online. Well worth the read.

(There's also an article on advanced M school and anotehr one on the air-force-themed GT3RS from VF and Vorsteiner which has popped up on many posts and videos already.)
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
18
Rep
1,767
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

Good info. Interesting how MDM allows more slip and doesn't cut power.

Would have to wonder though that since engine power is not cut off, whether there is more brake application in severe cases. Or if engine power is actually cut in severe cases.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
dexx
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
263
Posts

 
Drives: 05 LGT w/AVO380, '11 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

MDM does cut power... put the back wheels on ice/snow and the difference will become apparent. It simply allows more differential speed between front and rear wheels, it enters hysteresis at a certain speed. If you don't know what that means - sorry.

If only BMW would tell us concretely what all of the modes are supposed to do.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZP2 ZCV ZCW ZCP (for teh fastAr)
2005 LGT, AVO380 Turbo, a zillion other mods, ECU tuning by me.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
13
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: GMT -8

iTrader: (0)

When I take mine on the Green Hell next month, I suppose I will test to see whether I feel more comfortable using MDM or completely off. What was the conclusion by the mag? Does the ZCP actually lower lap times? Enough to justify the price difference?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
PKL
Colonel
PKL's Avatar
35
Rep
2,466
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
beyond the 10cm drop,
10 MILLIMETER brother. ONE freakin CENTImeter.

Do people not understand this?

ZCP "lowers" the car ONE CENTIMETER. Go get a ruler and tell me you think 1cm makes any difference!!!
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradb View Post
When I take mine on the Green Hell next month, I suppose I will test to see whether I feel more comfortable using MDM or completely off. What was the conclusion by the mag? Does the ZCP actually lower lap times? Enough to justify the price difference?
You must have mad driving skills! Otherwise, I would NOT recommend turning your traction control to OFF. I don't know if you have many laps under your belt, so pardon if you are the Stig, but that place is seriously awesome and seriously easy to get FUBAR.

I'll be there in May myself
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
piloto
Captain
10
Rep
835
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

When in May? I'll be doing my ED in May and plan on going there as well. Just wondering if others from this board will be there (ring) too.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
CalgaryX3
Lieutenant
Canada
8
Rep
547
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i / 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

iTrader: (0)

As much as I like the magazine, I feel like it's published far too infrequently, with only, what, 8 or 10 issues per year? Not to mention, their website is far too out of date with more of an emphasis on securing subscriptions rather than good editorial comment.

Surely the North American Bimmer scene has more to offer no?

Just a thought when I saw the title of the thread.

Asif
__________________
2011 E90 M3 Alpine White on Fox Red
2007 E90 335I Graphite on Terra
2005 E83 3.0I Mocha on Black (Gone and forgotten)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
18
Rep
1,767
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
You must have mad driving skills! Otherwise, I would NOT recommend turning your traction control to OFF. I don't know if you have many laps under your belt, so pardon if you are the Stig, but that place is seriously awesome and seriously easy to get FUBAR.

I'll be there in May myself
Here's a good thread on the topic http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289303
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
llis
octane chick
llis's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,133
Posts

 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
10 MILLIMETER brother. ONE freakin CENTImeter.

Do people not understand this?

ZCP "lowers" the car ONE CENTIMETER. Go get a ruler and tell me you think 1cm makes any difference!!!
You win, sister! I hope my typo didn't ruin your day.
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
llis
octane chick
llis's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,133
Posts

 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryX3 View Post
Not to mention, their website is far too out of date
Yeah, they seem to have things backwards on that. If they don't want people to read and talk about and share their stuff online, then they shouldn't bother with a website.
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
82
Rep
5,622
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Although I am going to pass on the ZCP and just get the Dinan St3, I would like to see a direct comparo between them.

I think 8x per year for Bimmer is about right. At times it seems like they have some weak articles that just take up space.

Roundel is worse, filled with useless banter in those columns...whatever they are. Not to mention the 5 letters per month on run flats and dipsticks. Oh, now its manuals vrs autos.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #13
e1000
that's what SHE said!
11
Rep
1,076
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: OC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
10 MILLIMETER brother. ONE freakin CENTImeter.

Do people not understand this?

ZCP "lowers" the car ONE CENTIMETER. Go get a ruler and tell me you think 1cm makes any difference!!!
Better yet, go ask your wife/girlfriend!


I KID I KID!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
Eau Rouge
Captain
Eau Rouge's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
985
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida's Emerald Coast

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
pp. 48-53. It's not online (yet?). There's an interesting review (and second opinion) of the ZCP and what it brings to the M3 beyond the 10cm drop, EDC and wheels. (This may be old news to you all, but I haven't really seen it explained like it is in this article.)
  • Spring rates are the same, but the springs are shorter (for the lower stance).
  • "Shock damping was adjusted to cope with the lower ride height, with the changes made primarily to rebound damping rates rather than compression."
  • EDC Sport mode is modified. BMWNA M Brand Manager Larry Koch explains, "The Sport mode before ZCP was locked at 75% of the way to full stiff. It still has that as a default but is now variable like the Comfort and Normal modes." This apparently makes Sport mode more useful on the not-the-smoothest tracks.
  • Electronic modifications to DSC in M Dynamic Mode. "Unique to the M3 ZCP is a revised Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) that allows larger slip angles i.e. more fun in its sportiest M Dynamic Mode (MDM) setting. Instead of cutting engine power to maintain the car's direction, as in DSC, DTC will only apply individual brakes to keep the wheels from spinning excessively."

It's one of the best articles I've seen on the ZCP. Probably less fun than Clarkson's review on TG expected tonight, but I found it fascinating.

The April Bimmer is on the magazine stands now. I assume they eventually put their articles online. Well worth the read.

(There's also an article on advanced M school and anotehr one on the air-force-themed GT3RS from VF and Vorsteiner which has popped up on many posts and videos already.)
If you liked that info, you will probably want to take a look at this thread from May '10. Enjoy!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385586
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
llis
octane chick
llis's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,133
Posts

 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
If you liked that info, you will probably want to take a look at this thread from May '10. Enjoy!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385586
Thanks for the link!
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST