BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #67
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,599
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
I have been looking into these dampers but there are very few people running them so I have not been able to get a lot of information. Still have not been able to determine if my Volk TE 37s 9.5x18" et 28 wheels will clear the strut with the 5000 series which seems better suited for this heavy car. I run 275 tires up front. I could use a spacer, but I'm not sure it will work even with the spacer. And though I only started going to the track 3 years ago I go whenever I can so more than 6-8 events/year.

I would like to see photo of these shocks with the sleeves needed to use it with our cars as the e9xM3 version is no longer available. My other issue is trying to put together the right spring rate etc as it would seem to be guesswork for someone with as little experience in this area as I have.

Having said this I am still interested as my friend has these on his 330 and he is scary fast in that car and loves them. They are the 3rd or 4th suspension he has tried on the car.

I do wonder how these would compare to the KW Clubsport where the integrated kit seems to take a lot of the guesswork out of the equation.
500/800 spring combo works well on the this chassis, as long as you have a good shock that can handle, so no issues with the AST or KWs.

Is your buddy running 5100, 5200, or 5300 series?

Contact Richard, the KW competition series stuff is really nice too.
Harold was helpful in answering Qs about AST products.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S

Last edited by STALKER; 06-15-2011 at 08:00 AM.
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #68
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AST, Brembo, Eibach, H&R, GIAC, Koni, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag,

Posts: 10,828
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
I have been looking into these dampers but there are very few people running them so I have not been able to get a lot of information. Still have not been able to determine if my Volk TE 37s 9.5x18" et 28 wheels will clear the strut with the 5000 series which seems better suited for this heavy car. I run 275 tires up front. I could use a spacer, but I'm not sure it will work even with the spacer. And though I only started going to the track 3 years ago I go whenever I can so more than 6-8 events/year.

I would like to see photo of these shocks with the sleeves needed to use it with our cars as the e9xM3 version is no longer available. My other issue is trying to put together the right spring rate etc as it would seem to be guesswork for someone with as little experience in this area as I have.

Having said this I am still interested as my friend has these on his 330 and he is scary fast in that car and loves them. They are the 3rd or 4th suspension he has tried on the car.

I do wonder how these would compare to the KW Clubsport where the integrated kit seems to take a lot of the guesswork out of the equation.
The AST 5000 series does not increase the overall diameter of the strut housing so you are not taking away valuable room for your wide wheels and tires.

We have done all the calculations and track testing. 450-500 front and 800 rear is a good starting rate, depends on your driving style, track, tires and other factors you may have to make some adjustments.

We just received our AST 4200 for the project 1M and hope to take some photos and post them soon.

Here is a photo of the AST 4100 with the sleeves. AST 5100 will have similar sleeves.
Attached Images
 
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #69
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AST, Brembo, Eibach, H&R, GIAC, Koni, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag,

Posts: 10,828
iTrader: (29)

AST Monotube 4200 coilovers with Swift Springs

Here is the AST 4200 for the 1M.
Attached Images
 
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #70
RickyBobby
Lieutenant
 
RickyBobby's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NorCal

Posts: 448
iTrader: (1)

1+ year update. I am still very happy with the AST's. The car is TOTALLY dialed in and stupidly fast on the track. I placed 2nd in NASA TTA this season with nothing but coilovers, tires and brake pads.

I have had some reliability issues, but AST's customer service has been outstanding and they always turn things around quickly. They even did a rebuild for me trackside at laguna during the grand-am race! Overall, I'm a happy customer and foresee a set of these for my e36 when the time comes.

Last edited by RickyBobby; 01-23-2012 at 12:49 AM.
RickyBobby is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #71
turugara
Major
 
turugara's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bay area

Posts: 1,293
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.72]
Awesome to hear. Recently acquired a set of 5200's and look forward to using them on the track.
turugara is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #72
flipm3
E46 + E90
 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois

Posts: 2,764
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
1+ year update. I am still very happy with the AST's. The car is TOTALLY dialed in and stupidly fast on the track. I placed 2nd in NASA TTA this season with nothing but coilovers, tires and brake pads.

I have had some reliability issues, but AST's customer service has been outstanding and they always turn things around quickly. They even did a rebuild for me trackside at laguna during the grand-am race! Overall, I'm a happy customer and foresee a set of these for my e36 when the time comes.
Congrats on placing 2nd!

Would you be able to share some of the issues you encountered? Is this a different case than the previously mentioned leak?
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
flipm3 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #73
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,599
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
1+ year update. I am still very happy with the AST's. The car is TOTALLY dialed in and stupidly fast on the track. I placed 2nd in NASA TTA this season with nothing but coilovers, tires and brake pads.

I have had some reliability issues, but AST's customer service has been outstanding and they always turn things around quickly. They even did a rebuild for me trackside at laguna during the grand-am race! Overall, I'm a happy customer and foresee a set of these for my e36 when the time comes.
I remember one leaked on you, same issue again??
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #74
RickyBobby
Lieutenant
 
RickyBobby's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NorCal

Posts: 448
iTrader: (1)

The problems consisted of leaks and nitrogen mixing with the oil.

I've come to terms that aftermarket shocks will never be as reliable as oem. The important thing is the support you receive from the manufacturer and AST has stood by their stuff 100% for me.
The last shock is on its way back to me right now with basically all new internals so fingers crossed that it will not give me any more trouble.
RickyBobby is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #75
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,070
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Thanks for the review! I do plan to get the 4200s for my E46 someday.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #76
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AST, Brembo, Eibach, H&R, GIAC, Koni, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag,

Posts: 10,828
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Thanks for the review! I do plan to get the 4200s for my E46 someday.
Let us know if you have any questions on AST4200 or just AST's in general.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST