BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
WRXXX
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
260
Posts

 
Drives: E92 SG M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

2008 M3 reliability?

Hi...thinking of switching to a 08 M3 manual. This will be my 1st german car. Just wondering how reliable is it so far with you '08 owners. Any known issues or recalls? Also is this car difficult to drive in the snow? I had an 06 G35 coupe previously and it was a pain to drive in the snow with w/ winters on for some reason. Hope to meet everyone at the next meet. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Prince_of_Persia's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
2,389
Posts

 
Drives: 6MT E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

I have an 08 M3 for almost 2 months (bought is CPO) and it drives really well in snow as long as you have good winter tires. If I were you, I would get a CPO, I think it worth the extra money you have to pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
64
Rep
4,961
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

I have an 08 with about 50K Km's on it. No issues and I track it regularly. I also drive min through the winters without any problems. I dont drive it on snow days where clearance might be an issue, but those days are pretty scarce, even given the amount of snow we have had this year. Good luck with the search.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
py0413
Major
py0413's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
1,178
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 M5
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC

iTrader: (2)

mine 08, 6 speed, with 65000km, only small things to fix so far.

you need proper snow/winter tires that's all.
__________________
Must stop eating..............
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
gadgetec
Private
gadgetec's Avatar
2
Rep
97
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 IB M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pembroke Pines, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Original owner, this is my daily driver and I have about 33K miles. No issues at all.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
darklord
Ruler of the Universe
darklord's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
399
Posts

 
Drives: 11 Silver Merc E63 (W212)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: GTA-ish

iTrader: (0)

50k, drive it all season and heavy snow. Haven't been stuck in 2 years...love the drive more daily!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
shagkie
Captain
shagkie's Avatar
9
Rep
628
Posts

 
Drives: a....V8
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GTA, Canada

iTrader: (0)

08 with 34K, went through these,
- ignition coil
- seat belt thingy that passes you the seat belt (passenger side)
- low beam light bulb (both side)
- lost of audio once in a while (no clue how they'll reproduce this so didn't take it in)

So besides the ignition coil where I had to get it towed all the rest are just minor stuff. I drive it all winter with snow tires and it's not too bad if you drive conservatively. Even when there's a thin layer of snow on the ground it still handles pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
iksenna
Private First Class
iksenna's Avatar
Canada
1
Rep
122
Posts

 
Drives: '14 M5 SINGAPORE GREY
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: VILLA PARK (TO)

iTrader: (0)

No mechanical issues to report. In the snow you will need good winter tires and you will be all set. My wife had a G35 Coupe and no matter what winter tires we put on it drove like a dog in the snow. You will find the M3 is significantly better in winter conditions.
__________________
Looking forward to seeing you in my rear-view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
enfield
Civilian
enfield's Avatar
Canada
23
Rep
945
Posts

 
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

I have an 08 with 36,000 km. The car has been faultless. I did get stuck once because I was running PA-2's. Haven't had any snow problems since switching to the Nokian Hakka R's.
I did get rearended 3 days ago but I don't blame the car for that. Blame the idiot in the car that hit me!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
markymarc1979
Colonel
markymarc1979's Avatar
Canada
48
Rep
2,097
Posts

 
Drives: 10 P TURBO + 12 750 + 09 E93
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oakville, Ontario

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
6 Speed 08 convertible with 10k kms on it. Absolutely perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
WRXXX
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
260
Posts

 
Drives: E92 SG M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

What do u guys think about this deal? Good or not? Anybody here know the story of this car?

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M3/WO...0128101817289/
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Prince_of_Persia's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
2,389
Posts

 
Drives: 6MT E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
What do u guys think about this deal? Good or not? Anybody here know the story of this car?

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M3/WO...0128101817289/
It is okay, not the best deal you could get. I paid 3K more, but I got a CPO from Calgary BMW, with more options, and 10K KM less milage on it, and AW with red interior which is more popular, with 2 sets of rims and tires (one sport, one winter), tinted window and 3M bra at the front.

I personally would get a CPO because of the peace of mind you have.
__________________

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3

Last edited by Prince_of_Persia; 02-10-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
64
Rep
4,961
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
What do u guys think about this deal? Good or not? Anybody here know the story of this car?

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M3/WO...0128101817289/

Haven't really been looking around, but that appears to be the cheapest one I have seen around here, you don't tend to see too many that also come with snow wheels and tires.

You might want to contact Gearhead999s, he has a loaded 08 E92 that he is replacing with an '11. Not sure what he is doing with his or if it is spoken for, but might be an alternative as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
STALKER
Brigadier General
50
Rep
3,662
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
What do u guys think about this deal? Good or not? Anybody here know the story of this car?

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M3/WO...0128101817289/
Thats almost what I paid for my car over 1.5 years ago, and it only had 10 000KM on it.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
93
Rep
6,814
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Haven't really been looking around, but that appears to be the cheapest one I have seen around here, you don't tend to see too many that also come with snow wheels and tires.

You might want to contact Gearhead999s, he has a loaded 08 E92 that he is replacing with an '11. Not sure what he is doing with his or if it is spoken for, but might be an alternative as well.
Yep you can PM me or call me in the office 905 764 4137 if you are interested as it can go anytime as my new one will here in April.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
sharo7390
Private First Class
sharo7390's Avatar
2
Rep
173
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Leather seats quality isnt as great
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #17
ns2000x
Converted
ns2000x's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
907
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
It is okay, not the best deal you could get. I paid 3K more, but I got a CPO from Calgary BMW, with more options, and 10K KM less milage on it, and AW with red interior which is more popular, with 2 sets of rims and tires (one sport, one winter), tinted window and 3M bra at the front.

I personally would get a CPO because of the peace of mind you have.
How did you find a CPO for less than $58k?
__________________

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #18
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Prince_of_Persia's Avatar
Canada
47
Rep
2,389
Posts

 
Drives: 6MT E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns2000x View Post
How did you find a CPO for less than $58k?
Really good timing!!!! Just by Christmas, they wanted to get rid of it quickly to improve their sales number and i had been saving and I had cash. Also the car was sitting there for almost 6 months becuse they were asking $69K for it. Car came with the 3M and tinted windows. As for the winter tires and rims, they were supposed to charge me an extra $2500 for them, but they forgot about it since it was just before christmas day. I went to the dealership and talked to the manager and told him that he forgot to charge me for my tires, but he was so nice and he includd them in my invoice at the end!! (I dealt with the pre-owned manager directly)

So I guess all of these happened together so I got a GREAT deal
__________________

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #19
ns2000x
Converted
ns2000x's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
907
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Really good timing!!!! Just by Christmas, they wanted to get rid of it quickly to improve their sales number and i had been saving and I had cash. Also the car was sitting there for almost 6 months becuse they were asking $69K for it. Car came with the 3M and tinted windows. As for the winter tires and rims, they were supposed to charge me an extra $2500 for them, but they forgot about it since it was just before christmas day. I went to the dealership and talked to the manager and told him that he forgot to charge me for my tires, but he was so nice and he includd them in my invoice at the end!! (I dealt with the pre-owned manager directly)

So I guess all of these happened together so I got a GREAT deal
__________________

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #20
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
26
Rep
1,562
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Bubblehead on this forum had an 08' 6Spd. Before he traded it in on this 2010 M3 Coupe, he had never had any issues with it. I have an 09' and other than the Idle control valve replacement, I have had no issues.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #21
WRXXX
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
260
Posts

 
Drives: E92 SG M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Yep you can PM me or call me in the office 905 764 4137 if you are interested as it can go anytime as my new one will here in April.
PM sent!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #22
WRXXX
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
260
Posts

 
Drives: E92 SG M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

PM sent
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST