BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
MINHS Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Roby84m
Second Lieutenant
Roby84m's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: ///M3 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax,NS

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Roby84m
Self service car wash question!!!

Would you guys use the wax option in self service car wash? I saw it at Rubber Duck car wash and I was hesitant to select that option. Any other suggestions about those self service car washes? Am I ruining the paint with the high pressured water along with chemicals? I searched the forum but I couldn't find any satisfying answers.

I went to the rubber duck car wash web site

http://www.rubberduckcarwash.com/instruct_ss.html

It says... Wax - high pressure hot wax
Switch to wax, wax entire vehicle including windows from top down.

Thanks

Rob.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
BMRLVR's Avatar
Canada
43
Rep
2,357
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby84m View Post
Would you guys use the wax option in self service car wash? I saw it at Rubber Duck car wash and I was hesitant to select that option. Any other suggestions about those self service car washes? Am I ruining the paint with the high pressured water along with chemicals? I searched the forum but I couldn't find any satisfying answers.

I went to the rubber duck car wash web site

http://www.rubberduckcarwash.com/instruct_ss.html

It says... Wax - high pressure hot wax
Switch to wax, wax entire vehicle including windows from top down.

Thanks

Rob.
Hey Rob,

You are not hurting your car with the high pressure water and chemicals at the car wash. The only thing you should not use is the foamy brushes that they have at all of these types of car washes. Personally I take a bucket and a mitt to the carwash and bucket wash my car.

There is a carwash in Bayers Lake called Top Gun Car Wash. I spoke to the owner this summer and he told me that as long as there is no one waiting he didn't care if you used a bucket when you were washing your car.

As for the hot wax, I don't use it but it probably wouldn't hurt. I use a product called Lucas Slick Mist (available at Canadian Tire) on my car when I dry it. I mist the entire car down with the slick mist before I dry it. It does a nice job of lubricating the surface and putting a nice shine and a bit of a protective coating on the car after you wash it.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
zhangzeyuandss
Captain
zhangzeyuandss's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
920
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 MW m3; 2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston, Tx

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via AIM to zhangzeyuandss Send a message via MSN to zhangzeyuandss Send a message via Yahoo to zhangzeyuandss Send a message via Skype™ to zhangzeyuandss
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Hey Rob,

You are not hurting your car with the high pressure water and chemicals at the car wash. The only thing you should not use is the foamy brushes that they have at all of these types of car washes. Personally I take a bucket and a mitt to the carwash and bucket wash my car.

There is a carwash in Bayers Lake called Top Gun Car Wash. I spoke to the owner this summer and he told me that as long as there is no one waiting he didn't care if you used a bucket when you were washing your car.

As for the hot wax, I don't use it but it probably wouldn't hurt. I use a product called Lucas Slick Mist (available at Canadian Tire) on my car when I dry it. I mist the entire car down with the slick mist before I dry it. It does a nice job of lubricating the surface and putting a nice shine and a bit of a protective coating on the car after you wash it.
+1 on those brushes. To OP, I have personally seen a guy use it to wash his (lifted Jeep)under panel after off-roading.. You have no idea what could be on those brushes... just bring your own bucket and car wash shampoo(balanced PH) use their water you should be fine.
__________________

2011.5 mineral white e92 zcp 6mt m3
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
81
Rep
4,910
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

And if you're going to use the brush, clean it first with the high-pressure wand. But no, I don't use it either... at least on my nice cars .
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #5
Roby84m
Second Lieutenant
Roby84m's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: ///M3 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax,NS

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Roby84m
Thank you for the input guys I tend to stay away from those brushes though.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Nine
Banned
30
Rep
1,925
Posts

Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
And if you're going to use the brush, clean it first with the high-pressure wand. But no, I don't use it either... at least on my nice cars .

^^
This, you can clean the brush first, also you'll want to high-pressure rinse your mit while your washing your car anyway since it will pick up dirt and grime you don't want to be rubbing on other parts of your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
aznclickster
Second Lieutenant
aznclickster's Avatar
2
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: E92 ///M
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011.5 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
And if you're going to use the brush, clean it first with the high-pressure wand. But no, I don't use it either... at least on my nice cars .
haha nice tip, never thought about washing the brush with the high pressure wand
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST