BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

BPM

02-02-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

BMW M GmbH Sales Significantly Higher in 2010

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW M GmbH sales significantly higher in 2010
COMMENTS
Name:  M3_GTS.jpg
Views: 5072
Size:  129.7 KB

Press Release

Growth in all business divisions – Almost 17,000 BMW M cars sold worldwide – Boom in demand makes China fourth-strongest market.

Munich. BMW M GmbH concluded the 2010 business year with a significant boost in sales. In a year marked by far-reaching changes in the model portfolio, the number of BMW M car sales rose by 14.2 percent to 16,967 units. Overall, worldwide growth in demand for high-performance sports cars, M Sport packages, exclusive special options from BMW Individual as well as driving experience training courses contributed to this positive development. Considerable growth impulses are also anticipated for 2011 thanks to an extended M Sport package and BMW Individual product range and the launch of the BMW 1 Series M Coupé, which takes the company into a new vehicle segment. Beyond this, the development of special task and security vehicles based on current BMW production models will also fall within the remit of BMW M GmbH in future.

The 14.2 percent global growth in new car registrations posted by the BMW AG subsidiary last year bears witness to the enduringly strong fascination exerted by these high-performance sports cars. The production phase-out of the BMW M5 and BMW M6 models was more than compensated for by a consistently high demand for the BMW M3 and the newly introduced all-wheel-drive models BMW X5 M and BMW X6 M. Yet again the BMW M3 demonstrated its status as the most popular ambassador for the M ethos. Worldwide, 5,729 units of the BMW M3 Coupé were sold, to which were added 2,544 units of the BMW M3 Convertible and 1,843 BMW M3 Saloons. Sales of the BMW X5 M and BMW X6 M totalled 2,778 and 3,082 respectively.

The most important single market in 2010 was once again the USA, where overall BMW M car sales rose by more than 6 percent to 6,821. The number two sales region, as before, was the German domestic market with sales of 1,716 cars, followed by Britain and Northern Ireland with 1,264 units. The most dynamic growth by far was seen in the Chinese car market, where sales rose by 355 percent to 1,088 units, making China the fourth-strongest market for BMW M cars. BMW M GmbH also registered outstanding growth rates in Brazil (+ 237 percent) and Russia (+ 104 percent).

M Sport packages: growth in sales, range to expand in 2011 too.
In terms of sales of the M Sport packages – now available for virtually all the model ranges – BMW M GmbH also recorded positive growth in the last financial year. The model-specific development of aerodynamics, chassis, exterior and interior components lends attractive highlights to ultra-sporty driving pleasure across all the vehicle categories, and the range of options on offer is steadily expanding. The spectrum currently ranges from the BMW 1 Series to the BMW 7 Series, and also encompasses the BMW Z4 and the BMW X5. 2011 will see the BMW X3 and BMW X1 models added to the list.
In total, the number of M Sport packages produced in 2010 rose by 1 percent to 138,800. The main market for M Sport packages was Britain and Northern Ireland, followed by Germany and the USA. These markets once again posted a growth in figures for 2010, with the biggest percentage increases shown by the Korean car market (+ 411 percent) and China (+ 125 percent) and Russia (+ 107 percent).

BMW Individual boasts the strongest growth rates.
A significant jump in the demand for highly exclusive special options in the areas of bodywork paint, alloy wheels and interior fittings pushed up production figures for the BMW Individual business unit in 2010. Over the course of the year, production was ramped up to 24,155 options, with which the relevant cars were specifically enhanced based on personal preferences. This amounts to a growth rate of 47 percent.
Germany, which continues to be the most important single market for the BMW Individual programme, posted growth of 16 percent. Following a 119 percent leap, the USA now constitutes the second most important sales region. Demand for BMW Individual products experienced exceptionally dynamic growth in China (+ 275 percent) and Russia (+ 182 percent).

BMW Group Driving Experience: professional know-how for enhanced driving pleasure proves ever more popular.
The BMW Group’s Driving Experience programme also met with heightened interest in 2010. The number of participants rose by 21 percent to 12,945 – a unique achievement in the German marketplace. This programme, devised and organised by BMW M GmbH, covers BMW Driving Experience and MINI Driving Experience. The options range from short courses for beginners all the way to adventure tours and track training for motor sport fans. Experienced instructors convey target group-oriented know-how for self-assured driving pleasure.

It was above all the Experience courses of the BMW Group Driving Experience programmes that reflected a steep rise in demand with figures swelling by 69 percent. Efficient Dynamics Training in conjunction with safety exercises, introduced in 2008, likewise enjoyed growing popularity in 2010. The number of participants keen to learn more about economical as well as safe driving rose by 27 percent. The restructured programme for BMW Motorrad Training also triggered a boost in interest: the expanded programme led to a 208 percent increase in participants.

BMW M GmbH: top performance for special requirements – now for special task and security vehicles as well.
A further important aspect of the BMW Group Driving Experience scheme is the special training of drivers of BMW security vehicles. BMW Security Training teaches drivers of armoured and unarmoured vehicles to carry out challenging manoeuvres with confidence, to master all kinds of tricky situations with practised skill and to convey passengers to their destination in safety and comfort. Around 200 participants signed up for this course in 2010.

2011 sees BMW M GmbH extending its sphere of responsibility to include the development of security vehicles as well as special task vehicles for government authorities and public bodies. With this fifth business area, BMW M GmbH gains new possibilities for utilising and further expanding its more than 30-year experience in customer-led individualisation of vehicles – all the way to building one-off models. In a similar way to the high-performance sports cars from BMW M GmbH, these security and special task vehicles are also built as part of an integral development process that is guided by specific customer requirements and that ensures that these specifications are reconciled with maximum everyday utility and with the stringent quality and safety standards of premium carmaker BMW.

BMW security vehicles guarantee effective and tailored protection from criminal attacks and other hazardous situations. The current range includes security vehicles in various protection classes, all of which come with certification in compliance with internationally recognised standards. The protective equipment forms an integral part of the relevant vehicle concept. Unlike retrofit security measures, this principle ensures that all components are perfectly adapted to the relevant model. For example, an armoured passenger cell provides protection for the whole interior that covers all joints and seams. When it comes to the suspension tuning, too, the specific attributes of the security vehicle – including extra weight – are taken into account from the outset. Plus, all specific equipment details comply with the high quality and safety requirements of the BMW Group. Another advantage of this integrated development process is that the design of the vehicle is not affected by the implementation of security features. At first glance BMW security models are indistinguishable from production models and are therefore particularly discreet when out on the road.

In the field of special task vehicles for police forces, fire brigades and emergency services in Germany and abroad, the integration of specific requirements stipulated by each target group presents a particular challenge for the development and production process. BMW is the only German carmaker to systematically integrate these requirements during the series production process. This means that police patrol cars, for example, along with their specific radio, signalling and measuring technology are built in parallel with the corresponding series production models at the relevant plant.
Beyond that, a functionally optimised link-up with the production vehicle is given priority right at the development stage of components built to order for special task vehicles. Regular dialogue between BMW and the future users ensures that the appropriate integrated solutions are found. This ensures an overall concept for equipping special task vehicles which, on the one hand, complies with BMW’s high quality standards and, on the other, meets the specific demands of the respective users.

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
han405
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

i helped with 1.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

The Chinese are loving the M cars...This is not helping the X5m and the X6m monstrosities go away.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Very interesting data. Glad M GmbH is healthy.

I am however puzzled by the fact that M sold more X5 M and X6 M worldwide than M3 sedans...

Additionally, extrapolating the fact that the US represents 40.2% of all M sales, BMWUSA only sold about 740 M3 sedans in 2010...

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
zumjosh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post

I am however puzzled by the fact that M sold more X5 M and X6 M worldwide than M3 sedans...

Additionally, extrapolating the fact that the US represents 40.2% of all M sales, BMWUSA only sold about 740 M3 sedans in 2010...
Well I did hear some rumors that BMW M GmbH wants to discontinue the sedan body for the M3 next model because of the lack of interest. Kind of like how it happened with the e46, just coupe and convertible. However idk how I feel about that. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I need a security vehicle, so I will feel secure.
      02-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
It's because they're milking the badge. ///Marketing, not ///Motorsport anymore.
Thank you.

Lets hope BMW and Apple Marketing don't combine forces. It would be like mind control.

Damned fantastic marketing on both parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
The Chinese are loving the M cars...This is not helping the X5m and the X6m monstrosities go away.
Quote:
Do you guys have ANY idea how amazingly fun and practicle the x M cars are?? Have you spent a week with one??
      02-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
thijs-v-d-H
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E30

quick counting learns that a total 991 units M5 and M6 where sold in 2010
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
brentseay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90

Garage List
1996 318i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Awww crap. Does noone understand that every time they buy an X6m a baby kitten is murdered? Does noone understand every time they buy an M-sport car they take that much away from an actual M car?

All this report does is prove to BMW that slapping an M logo on every damn thing they produce makes business sense.

Brent
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

That is definitely interesting that the x5m and the x6m both outsold the M 3 sedan, as well as the fact that those two models alone represent about 1/3 of all sales of M models.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Actually the x5m and x6m together pretty much equal sales of the M3 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
EuroCarsOnline
Rep
Drives: BMW Individual M3 Sedan

Impressive numbers. China will be interesting to watch considering their growth and the fact that the M3 is double in price compared to the US. I still think we will be #1 for years to come.

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
David

Ultimate Buying Power
BMWDavid@me.com
www.bmweco.com 202-262-2900
Call Joy for Vehicle Status 443-883-6925
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

lol, increase of 6% here in the states? thats like 300 cars, or only 6 more cars sold per state over an entire year. that doesnt seem too significant imo
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #15
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

It would be nice to know what amg sales where so that we can compare. I luv my coupe trying to convince the wife on a sedan.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #16
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentseay View Post
Awww crap. Does noone understand that every time they buy an X6m a baby kitten is murdered? Does noone understand every time they buy an M-sport car they take that much away from an actual M car?

All this report does is prove to BMW that slapping an M logo on every damn thing they produce makes business sense.

Brent
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #17
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Quote:

Frenchboy, I'm guessing the lack of sedan sales against the beheMoths originates from a combination of factors:

1. Substitution products within range create internal cannibalization.

We all recognize the volume of performance coupe/sedan options (LS-F, S4, S5, Caddy V, C63, etc. etc.) that compete with sales of M3s. I suspect most would agree to fewer competitors on the performance SUV market (Porsche Cayenne Turbo and S lines, Jeep SRT, Mercedes G and M AMG, and maybe even the Range Rover SuperSport).

But the unique factor here remains: even a dedicated M buyer has 3 options - coupe, vert, and sedan - to sway their decision. A more accurate comparison might be all M3s vs. Total XM cars sold.

2. The X6M and X5M are novel. They are newly released and, as such, benefited from exclusivity and swollen marketing budgets.

Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #18
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

makes sense, they had more M cars available on sale in 2010 than any other previous year.
      02-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #19
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Now i am really curious on how many IB Sedans they made overall.
      02-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #20
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

I bet BMW sells more 1M coupes in calendar year 2011 than M3 sedans... That would make the M3 sedan quite exclusive ;-)

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
I bet BMW sells more 1M coupes in calendar year 2011 than M3 sedans... That would make the M3 sedan quite exclusive ;-)

1. I don't think there is any doubt. If M can move 6000 x5m and x6m models at double the price of the 1M, I am sure they can move several thousand 1M coupes. The partial year production is the only hindrance. I would expect more than m3 sedan or convertible categories but less than m3 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 04:06 AM   #22
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentseay View Post

Brent
And how would you know? Have you driven a X-5/6M? Do you know how M build their cars? Do you know the engineering involved? Are you even in a position to buy a new one?

If you are talking about AMG, then yeah, all they do is put in a larger engine and brakes with stiffer suspension, that's it. But M is different, or is supposed to be different.
Appreciate 0