BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #45
supergoji
Performance nutcase
United_States
Rep

Drives: Nissan 300zx

Send a message via AIM to supergoji
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
Some great bargains from Japan, but stock for stock, I can't think of any that outperform either the e46 or e9x M3 during their time. GTR excluded.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #46
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2012 IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
The 991 GT3 with PDK should be wicked. It will likely be late 2013 before we see one. I'm in.
This will likely be my next car assuming I can afford it. I figure I will drive the GT-R for a couple of years and then make the jump.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #47
scheherazade
Major
Rep

Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
All wheel drive is the major reason, the car just goes, no fuss at the line.. and of course FI which means a whole lot of torque.
The gearing is also very short.

4.056 1st gear
3.7 final drive
AWD
=
Mucho torque down to the ground.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #48
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Drives: Cayenne Turbo

2012 GT-R Pros/Cons

I have had the car for about a month and put nearly 2000 miles on it. So I feel I have a fairly accurate impression of the vehicle. Hereís a short list.
Pros:
- Staggering performance-it is quicker than my 2009 GT-R(0-60 3.1 versus 3.5, 0-100 7.2 versus 8.3, quarter 11.2 @ 124.5 versus 11.8@118)
-Slightly better apperance-though Iím not crazy about LED running lights
-Brakes are superior (though theyíre squeaking like an old truck right now)
-I can actually notice a significant difference in the various suspension, transmission, and traction settings modes. In my 09 GTR I couldnít really tell a big difference.
-Launch Control-those crazy fast times are partially due to a real LC.
Note: at least in my GT-R, the car goes into some hobbled performance setting after a few launches.
Cons:
-the default suspension setting- I know most people like the softer ride, I donít. It feels way too sloppy around corners and on uneven roads.
-the car still makes all kinds of weird mechanical noises.
-the interior is still weak. I wish Nissan offered a ton of upgrade options, like Porsche. I would have spent $10-$20k more on refinement.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #49
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2012 IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
I have had the car for about a month and put nearly 2000 miles on it. So I feel I have a fairly accurate impression of the vehicle. Hereís a short list.
Pros:
- Staggering performance-it is quicker than my 2009 GT-R(0-60 3.1 versus 3.5, 0-100 7.2 versus 8.3, quarter 11.2 @ 124.5 versus 11.8@118)
-Slightly better apperance-though Iím not crazy about LED running lights
-Brakes are superior (though theyíre squeaking like an old truck right now)
-I can actually notice a significant difference in the various suspension, transmission, and traction settings modes. In my 09 GTR I couldnít really tell a big difference.
-Launch Control-those crazy fast times are partially due to a real LC.
Note: at least in my GT-R, the car goes into some hobbled performance setting after a few launches.
Cons:
-the default suspension setting- I know most people like the softer ride, I donít. It feels way too sloppy around corners and on uneven roads.
-the car still makes all kinds of weird mechanical noises.
-the interior is still weak. I wish Nissan offered a ton of upgrade options, like Porsche. I would have spent $10-$20k more on refinement.
I'll add my review after having my car for close the 3 weeks and 800 miles. I, too, had another GT-R before this one which was a 2011 model.

I honestly can't tell a huge difference in the suspension between this car and my 2011. Comfort mode might be a little softer, but the difference isn't huge. I have noticed the car gets a little floaty in comfort mode if you are really getting after it. I haven't driven much in normal mode yet because the manual suggests leaving the car in comfort mode until the 1200 mile mark to allow the suspension to fully settle.

I can definitely tell the extra power is there. At normal speeds it is almost like having a warp drive when you bury the throttle. I'm not sure my license will survive this car, but at least I'll be having fun up until the time I lose it. Also, based on what some other owners are doing I should be able to turn my GT-R into a high 10 second car with only a mid-pipe and exhaust. Since that is about as far as I tend to mod the car I'm glad there are gains to be had with these simple bolt-ons.

Since my 2011 had some of the upgrades like the better MFD and auto headlights the interior changes don't seem that huge to me. I do like the darker trim and carbon fiber inside, but after I got used to those it doesn't really feel that different inside. Of course, I'm one who likes the GT-R's interior and thinks it is pretty close to the standard M3 and 911 interior, both of which I have owned.

I really like the exterior changes. The new front end has a more aggressive look that has gotten a lot of positive feedback from people I know. The LED driving lights look okay, but I feel like Nissan is just trying to jump on the LED driving light bandwagon like every other manufacturer out there. The new premium wheels are a nice improvement in my eyes over the previous car in both looks and weight.

Driving the 2012 I have noticed a few changes. The steering feels a little more organic and less darty right off of center. Also, the brake pedal has better feedback, but still not to the level of Porsche. The chassis seems a bit more playful but still has that secure feeling that gives you confidence to push the car harder.

All of the little changes have made the 2012 GT-R a nice upgrade for me. If I was looking to get a car to mod then I would probably save some money and get a clean 2011 since it has a number of little upgrades that make the GT-R easier to live with. However, I'm not one to do many mods so the 2012 is the right GT-R for me.
Appreciate 0