BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
herbz
hi
 
Drives: '86 325e
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: outside boston MA

Posts: 839
iTrader: (0)

How much you think this would cost?

135i, least amount of options(no active steering, no nav, no seat warmers, etc.), 6MT
Black Sapphire/Black leather interior/OEM aluminum trim
19" BBS CH Gold finish street rims
17" SSR Competition with drag radials for the strip
Stoptech pads/rotors/Stainless steel lines
Bilstein shocks, springs
Lightweight hood/trunk/flywheel (save approx 50 lbs)
Short shifter
OEM aesthetic mods (lip spoiler, mtech front, rear, etc.)

ECU tune on 93 oct (readily available in MA )
full TBE (incl hi flow cats)
downpipe, uppipe
quaife LSD

$55k? With all those mods how fast of a quarter mile you think it could run?
herbz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #2
E36_325i
Private First Class
 
E36_325i's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 325i + '06 M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Indianapolis

Posts: 142
iTrader: (0)

I think this thread is bound to fail. As far as I'm concerned this car is just a fantasy and therefore one cannot make an accurate guess one what it's numbers would be.
__________________
'06 M3 | Jet/Cinn | ZPP | Xenons | NAV | Military Sales.
E36_325i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
Ninjaneer
Shadow Warrior
 
Ninjaneer's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Florida

Posts: 2,097
iTrader: (0)

It's got the turbos right? Add another $1300 for PROcede

In all honesty though, I can't fathom paying that much for a 1-series when it could put me in a loaded E90/E92, or basic 5-series, or save up for the M3 But that's just me.
__________________
335i E90 / Arctic / Gray / Burl Walnut / Steptronic / ZPP / ZSP / Paddles / CA / Nav / PDC / OEM Spoiler
Mods:
PIAA Angel Eyes, Rear Fog Switch, Escort X50 Blue hardwire, 30% Charcoal Llumar
Installing soon: Rear Power Outlets (Happy Robot mod!)
Ninjaneer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
BMW E90
Major General
 
BMW E90's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

Posts: 8,209
iTrader: (8)

^ seriously. $55k for a 1-series??? I'd rather buy a Cayman S or M3.
BMW E90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
herbz
hi
 
Drives: '86 325e
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: outside boston MA

Posts: 839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
^ seriously. $55k for a 1-series??? I'd rather buy a Cayman S or M3.
hear me out here

lets say the 135i turns out to be ~$38k with bare options. should be about 3200lbs and run 0-60 and the quartermile faster than the 335i stock.

(335i stock #'s: 0-60: 4.8; 1/4 mile: 13.4 second)

throw in JUST the engine mods/limited slip/tires which are probably worth around $4k-$6k with installation, and you're looking at a 0-60 time of 4 seconds with a quarter mile of mid to low 12's.

FYI that is C6 Vette territory and so far you've only spent ~44-45k.

sorry to say but the new M3 won't be as fast as that in a straight line, it might have an amazing suspension for the turns but i'm highly concerned about the weight of the new M3. you add a V8 which makes more power but at the same time you're add 500 more pounds. which can compromise both handling and acceleration. the M3 CSL might be a different story but i'm not about to spend $60k+ for a 4,000 pound luxury car.

the other $10k could be used for things like aesthetics, brakes, and wheels, which are optional, but bigger brakes will certainly help with that much power.

my point is that a 135i could potentially be faster than an M3 for significantly less money (about $10,000-$15,000 less if you exclude aesthetic mods).

while i respect the M3 and how great of a car it is, the new ones are simply not the type of cars for me. i like smaller cars, and 3500lbs is the most i would ever want for a car. once you get above that it's not a true sports car IMO.
herbz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Corey
Private First Class
 
Corey's Avatar
 
Drives: '92 240SX
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)

Unless you're set on voiding a new warranty I would just mod an older car and save a lot more money.
__________________

"You're going to have your heart broken, and you're gonna repair it with zipties."
Corey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
2009BMW335
Captain
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: davie, fl

Posts: 674
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
by this philosophy i should buy a geo storm, stretch the fenders, throw in a 454 and supercharge it. it'd be faster than a lot of things but whats the point????????????????????????????????????????????? ??
2009BMW335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
Corey
Private First Class
 
Corey's Avatar
 
Drives: '92 240SX
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 163
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome View Post
by this philosophy i should buy a geo storm, stretch the fenders, throw in a 454 and supercharge it. it'd be faster than a lot of things but whats the point????????????????????????????????????????????? ??
The point is he'd have the fast car he wants, but you took it waaay to the extreme. I think it'd just be more practical to start with something a little older (and a lot cheaper) since you'll be voiding the warranty either way. Pick up a really nice '98 325 for $10k and turbo that, get equal performance for a lot less money. Of course you're not going to get all the modern electronics and gadgets or feel that a new car would have, so if you think that's worth an extra 30 grand by all means get the 1 series.

It would be a lot cheaper to buy a more commonly modified chassis than try to fabricate parts for a Geo anyway.

And hey, I see he is in MA. I'll help him wrench on it.
__________________

"You're going to have your heart broken, and you're gonna repair it with zipties."
Corey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
2009BMW335
Captain
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: davie, fl

Posts: 674
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
The point is he'd have the fast car he wants, but you took it waaay to the extreme. I think it'd just be more practical to start with something a little older (and a lot cheaper) since you'll be voiding the warranty either way. Pick up a really nice '98 325 for $10k and turbo that, get equal performance for a lot less money. Of course you're not going to get all the modern electronics and gadgets or feel that a new car would have, so if you think that's worth an extra 30 grand by all means get the 1 series.

It would be a lot cheaper to buy a more commonly modified chassis than try to fabricate parts for a Geo anyway.

And hey, I see he is in MA. I'll help him wrench on it.
i used his "logic". buy something cheaper and make it faster than something more expensive...
2009BMW335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #10
Driv3r
Colonel
 
Driv3r's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Miami Beach, FL

Posts: 2,358
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
wait, 38K for the 135 would be inpossible...The e90 335i with no options is LESS than that! i think its somewhere in the 37's...
My guess is that the 135i might come standard at around 33-34K..
__________________
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6SPD-Interlagos Blue - 6SPD - SSK - AA Headers -AA Tune - Navigation w/ Splashscreen Mod - 3M Crystalline Series 60 - Carbon Splitters - Swissvax Treated - Bridgestone
2012 Yamaha FZ8 - Matte Black/Grey - Michelin Pilot Pure 2CT - Vortex Rear Sets - Yoshimura R-77D & Fender Delete - Spectro Race Oil - GP Reverse Shifting
Driv3r is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
^ seriously. $55k for a 1-series??? I'd rather buy a Cayman S or M3.
$55k would get you an M or the 3, but not an M3...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #12
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
 
Ryan@Motorwerks's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

The new M3 is going to weigh ~3500lbs according to the recent car&driver article so don't jump to any conclusions until its actually out.
Ryan@Motorwerks is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #13
herbz
hi
 
Drives: '86 325e
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: outside boston MA

Posts: 839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e90 View Post
The new M3 is going to weigh ~3500lbs according to the recent car&driver article so don't jump to any conclusions until its actually out.
you're right. i'm just being paranoid. don't get me wrong, if the new M3 is as light as a 335i, then it truly has the potential to be an amazing car in every respect.

i know this is all speculation, but i've done the whole buy an old car and drive it to the death thing. my current car is an '86 325 with 320k miles. i'm still in college atm but am close to graduating, by the time i have an actual job and am able to save, the 135i will be a viable option for someone young like myself.
herbz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #14
2009BMW335
Captain
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: davie, fl

Posts: 674
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
well it looks like it's gonna be a pretty sweet car (135) regardless of whether or not you do all that stuff to it. sounds like a good option
2009BMW335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #15
herbz
hi
 
Drives: '86 325e
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: outside boston MA

Posts: 839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
The point is he'd have the fast car he wants, but you took it waaay to the extreme. I think it'd just be more practical to start with something a little older (and a lot cheaper) since you'll be voiding the warranty either way. Pick up a really nice '98 325 for $10k and turbo that, get equal performance for a lot less money. Of course you're not going to get all the modern electronics and gadgets or feel that a new car would have, so if you think that's worth an extra 30 grand by all means get the 1 series.

It would be a lot cheaper to buy a more commonly modified chassis than try to fabricate parts for a Geo anyway.

And hey, I see he is in MA. I'll help him wrench on it.
hell yeah man. i plan on doing alot of the shit myself. of course this is all in probably 4-5 years time but if you're still around by then i would be glad to take you in for the ride
herbz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 07:53 PM   #16
herbz
hi
 
Drives: '86 325e
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: outside boston MA

Posts: 839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome View Post
by this philosophy i should buy a geo storm, stretch the fenders, throw in a 454 and supercharge it. it'd be faster than a lot of things but whats the point????????????????????????????????????????????? ??
my point is that i want a small, LIGHT BMW that is extremely fast, in a hatchback body (i've always thought hatchbacks were sexy)

plus a 135i would be a sleeper. and the 135i is no geo storm my friend! it's not like i'm ripping out the engine and putting in a new one! all i'm doing is a few simple exhaust and ECU mods, limited slip, and you can have something that's insanely fast...

i mean... your $50k 335i is faster than a $70k RS4... what's not to like about that?
herbz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 08:01 PM   #17
herbz
hi
 
Drives: '86 325e
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: outside boston MA

Posts: 839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3r View Post
wait, 38K for the 135 would be inpossible...The e90 335i with no options is LESS than that! i think its somewhere in the 37's...
My guess is that the 135i might come standard at around 33-34K..
that's a good guess my friend.... a bit optimistic but i would be a very happy man if that turned out to be true.
herbz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
BMW E90
Major General
 
BMW E90's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

Posts: 8,209
iTrader: (8)

I wasnt talking about speed alone. It's just that $55k on a 1-series is just unimaginable to me. It's like spending $40k on a camry when you get a Lexus for that much.


Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
hear me out here

lets say the 135i turns out to be ~$38k with bare options. should be about 3200lbs and run 0-60 and the quartermile faster than the 335i stock.

(335i stock #'s: 0-60: 4.8; 1/4 mile: 13.4 second)

throw in JUST the engine mods/limited slip/tires which are probably worth around $4k-$6k with installation, and you're looking at a 0-60 time of 4 seconds with a quarter mile of mid to low 12's.

FYI that is C6 Vette territory and so far you've only spent ~44-45k.

sorry to say but the new M3 won't be as fast as that in a straight line, it might have an amazing suspension for the turns but i'm highly concerned about the weight of the new M3. you add a V8 which makes more power but at the same time you're add 500 more pounds. which can compromise both handling and acceleration. the M3 CSL might be a different story but i'm not about to spend $60k+ for a 4,000 pound luxury car.

the other $10k could be used for things like aesthetics, brakes, and wheels, which are optional, but bigger brakes will certainly help with that much power.

my point is that a 135i could potentially be faster than an M3 for significantly less money (about $10,000-$15,000 less if you exclude aesthetic mods).

while i respect the M3 and how great of a car it is, the new ones are simply not the type of cars for me. i like smaller cars, and 3500lbs is the most i would ever want for a car. once you get above that it's not a true sports car IMO.
BMW E90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2007, 11:23 PM   #19
BMW E90
Major General
 
BMW E90's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

Posts: 8,209
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
$55k would get you an M or the 3, but not an M3...

E46 M3??

Even with the new M3, which is estimated to start around $55-56k, should be affordable with the $55k since the OP didnt say that $55k was the out the door price.
BMW E90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #20
herbz
hi
 
Drives: '86 325e
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: outside boston MA

Posts: 839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
I wasnt talking about speed alone. It's just that $55k on a 1-series is just unimaginable to me. It's like spending $40k on a camry when you get a Lexus for that much.
you're probably right.... but look at some of the 335i modders out here. i'm sure some of them have already spent $60,000 on their 3 series'. why did they do that if they could just save a little more and have an M5? probably because a $55k 335i with a simple tune can run with an M5, and the 335i owners spent $40k less.

but you're saying if you have a car you really loved you wouldn't spend an extra 10-15k on it? regardless of what the badge says, that type of performance and luxury in a sleek coupe is a pretty nice value for $55k (at most.)

to each their own :rocks:
herbz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2007, 05:56 PM   #21
BMW E90
Major General
 
BMW E90's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

Posts: 8,209
iTrader: (8)

Okay I just realized that you ARE the OP :bonk

Well the thing with me is that I like all bimmers. So in that sense if I were to spend $55k on a BMW, it's definitely not gonna be a 1-series. Im sure many people would agree with me on this. Then again, to each his own. ^_^

For the mod thing- it's just weird because people dont usually add up the money they've spent on mods. I dont know how to explain it but the mod state of mind is different.
BMW E90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST