BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
ganeil
Colonel
ganeil's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,050
Posts

 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

US 'Iran attack plans' revealed

Quote:
BBC NEWS

US 'Iran attack plans' revealed

US contingency plans for air strikes on Iran extend beyond nuclear sites and include most of the country's military infrastructure, the BBC has learned.

It is understood that any such attack - if ordered - would target Iranian air bases, naval bases, missile facilities and command-and-control centres.

The US insists it is not planning to attack, and is trying to persuade Tehran to stop uranium enrichment.

The UN has urged Iran to stop the programme or face economic sanctions.

But diplomatic sources have told the BBC that as a fallback plan, senior officials at Central Command in Florida have already selected their target sets inside Iran.

That list includes Iran's uranium enrichment plant at Natanz. Facilities at Isfahan, Arak and Bushehr are also on the target list, the sources say.

Two triggers

BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner says the trigger for such an attack reportedly includes any confirmation that Iran was developing a nuclear weapon - which it denies.

Alternatively, our correspondent adds, a high-casualty attack on US forces in neighbouring Iraq could also trigger a bombing campaign if it were traced directly back to Tehran.

Long range B2 stealth bombers would drop so-called "bunker-busting" bombs in an effort to penetrate the Natanz site, which is buried some 25m (27 yards) underground.

The BBC's Tehran correspondent France Harrison says the news that there are now two possible triggers for an attack is a concern to Iranians.

Authorities insist there is no cause for alarm but ordinary people are now becoming a little worried, she says...
I am not sure where the BBC gets its info but my source (Iguy) assures us that the US has neither the forces nor the funds available to accomplish this. So no worries, mate!
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
dr335is
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,975
Posts

 
Drives: Some Mazda junk...
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

it is all over the news here today (Japan).
Not sure who came up with this info and how...
Anyway, if that were true, that would surely be the end of it all...
Can you imagine if W was in the office during the Cuban crisis:
- it would be all over then, or
- we would all be speaking Russian now...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Iguy
Private First Class
2
Rep
176
Posts

 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
I am not sure where the BBC gets its info but my source (Iguy) assures us that the US has neither the forces nor the funds available to accomplish this. So no worries, mate!
Hehe I missed you to Ganeil!........

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

So spend away :P Maybe when Bush rids the world of Terrorism in two more years, every country will pat Mr. Bush on the back for a job well done and say "ahhhh , its only 10 trillion, lets just call it even and start back at 0 debt."

Thats right, attack Iran, there are a finite number of Terrorist. Yep Iran should rid of all the Terror.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
dhmilosr
Private First Class
1
Rep
106
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan Montego Blue
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Please don't post this on the e90 site. Find some geopolitical web site to publish this kind of stuff. Keep your political comments to yourself, this is a BMW centric web site.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
dr335is
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,975
Posts

 
Drives: Some Mazda junk...
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmilosr View Post
Please don't post this on the e90 site. Find some geopolitical web site to publish this kind of stuff. Keep your political comments to yourself, this is a BMW centric web site.
look at this guy
Are you having trouble realizing that this is the POLITICS section???
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 11:27 PM   #6
Iguy
Private First Class
2
Rep
176
Posts

 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Please don't post this on the e90 site. Find some geopolitical web site to publish this kind of stuff. Keep your political comments to yourself, this is a BMW centric web site.
...................?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Jaws's Avatar
Canada
21
Rep
1,736
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i mt
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmilosr View Post
Please don't post this on the e90 site. Find some geopolitical web site to publish this kind of stuff. Keep your political comments to yourself, this is a BMW centric web site.
What part of religion/politics section didn't you understand?
__________________
2006 325i - Sparkling Graphite
2000 S2000 - New Formula Red
2007 Chev Silverado crew cab Z71
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
ganeil
Colonel
ganeil's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,050
Posts

 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
it is all over the news here today (Japan).
Not sure who came up with this info and how...
Anyway, if that were true, that would surely be the end of it all...
Can you imagine if W was in the office during the Cuban crisis:
- it would be all over then, or
- we would all be speaking Russian now...
Or maybe the people of Cuba would have been rid of Castro.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #9
dr335is
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,975
Posts

 
Drives: Some Mazda junk...
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
Or maybe the people of Cuba would have been rid of Castro.
Good point, however, I doubt you would have been able to buy Russians with $50M then
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 12:00 AM   #10
ganeil
Colonel
ganeil's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,050
Posts

 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Good point, however, I doubt you would have been able to buy Russians with $50M then
???
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 12:01 AM   #11
dr335is
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,975
Posts

 
Drives: Some Mazda junk...
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
???
wow, how naive we are...
Russkies threaten to veto something, we show them $$$, and they are quiet...

It is all bout that, otherwise, the US would not have all the liberty to do as they wish whenever they want...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 12:03 AM   #12
ganeil
Colonel
ganeil's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,050
Posts

 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
wow, how naive we are...
Russkies threaten to veto something, we show them $$$, and they are quiet...

It is all bout that, otherwise, the US would not have all the liberty to do as they wish whenever they want...
What did they threaten to veto?
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 12:05 AM   #13
dr335is
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,975
Posts

 
Drives: Some Mazda junk...
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
What did they threaten to veto?
again...I have to go back to Yugo thing?
And now they threaten this Poland/Chech thing. SHow them a few $$$, and it will all quiet down. They also threatened to veto the Iraq resolutions, but chose to stay quiet. Since the SC, they vetoed only 4 times, the US did it about 20 times...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 12:14 AM   #14
ganeil
Colonel
ganeil's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,050
Posts

 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
again...I have to go back to Yugo thing?
And now they threaten this Poland/Chech thing. SHow them a few $$$, and it will all quiet down. They also threatened to veto the Iraq resolutions, but chose to stay quiet. Since the SC, they vetoed only 4 times, the US did it about 20 times...
And you are contending their Security Council vote is for sale?
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #15
dr335is
Brigadier General
54
Rep
4,975
Posts

 
Drives: Some Mazda junk...
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
And you are contending their Security Council vote is for sale?

EVERYTHING is for sale for a good price.
Especially in Russia and China
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #16
ganeil
Colonel
ganeil's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,050
Posts

 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguy View Post
Hehe I missed you to Ganeil!........

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

So spend away :P Maybe when Bush rids the world of Terrorism in two more years, every country will pat Mr. Bush on the back for a job well done and say "ahhhh , its only 10 trillion, lets just call it even and start back at 0 debt."

Thats right, attack Iran, there are a finite number of Terrorist. Yep Iran should rid of all the Terror.

I am not sure of your point here.

Are you trying to say that the US should base its foreign policy on the opinions of other nations?

That our debt is so high that we cannot possibly afford to bomb Iran?

That Iran does not support terrorists?
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #17
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
Bulldog 6's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
763
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 328i TiAg
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
It's funny how the media can twist things. Any country with a military has plans on offense and defense. I guarantee the Iran contingency plan was written and updated since before any of us were around.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #18
ganeil
Colonel
ganeil's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,050
Posts

 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog 6 View Post
It's funny how the media can twist things. Any country with a military has plans on offense and defense. I guarantee the Iran contingency plan was written and updated since before any of us were around.
I would hope its been updated recently!
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #19
canuck335i
Private with no class
canuck335i's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
649
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North of Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
I would hope its been updated recently!

LOL!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #20
Iguy
Private First Class
2
Rep
176
Posts

 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
I am not sure of your point here.

Are you trying to say that the US should base its foreign policy on the opinions of other nations?

That our debt is so high that we cannot possibly afford to bomb Iran?

That Iran does not support terrorists?
Point being that the war on Terror has already put the national debt at 9 trillion. I believe that is 2 trillion more than it was only 4 years ago. How much more do you think it can afford is the question!

Give this a read: http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/200...1022-6828r.htm

Note: "To put a fine point on the matter, the national debt has increased from $5.728 trillion on Jan. 20, 2001, to $8.713 trillion last week" thus my comment of " spend away".

This is just the war in Iraq. It doesn't included a fictitious attack on Iran, Syria, North Korea, etc etc. It doesn't include more troops in Afghanistan. So do you still think you can afford it! Holy delusions of grandeur (meaning Bush, not you Ganeil, nudge, nudge )

Point being that if you attacked Iran, you create more terrorists not eliminate it. Therefore, the debt increases at even at a greater pace. Now don't get me wrong, I don't support terrorism. The way this is being handled by the Bush administration is just plain dumb. Even if you throw another 500,000 troops over there, do you think it will solve Terrorism?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #21
ganeil
Colonel
ganeil's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,050
Posts

 
Drives: 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguy View Post
Point being that the war on Terror has already put the national debt at 9 trillion. I believe that is 2 trillion more than it was only 4 years ago. How much more do you think it can afford is the question!

Give this a read: http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/200...1022-6828r.htm

Note: "To put a fine point on the matter, the national debt has increased from $5.728 trillion on Jan. 20, 2001, to $8.713 trillion last week" thus my comment of " spend away".

This is just the war in Iraq. It doesn't included a fictitious attack on Iran, Syria, North Korea, etc etc. It doesn't include more troops in Afghanistan. So do you still think you can afford it! Holy delusions of grandeur (meaning Bush, not you Ganeil, nudge, nudge )

Point being that if you attacked Iran, you create more terrorists not eliminate it. Therefore, the debt increases at even at a greater pace. Now don't get me wrong, I don't support terrorism. The way this is being handled by the Bush administration is just plain dumb. Even if you throw another 500,000 troops over there, do you think it will solve Terrorism?
I will never argue that the US government spends too little but laying the blame for the national debt on the war is misguided. The war has cost a total of around $450 billion over the past five years so the increase in debt obviously had other causes.

Also, our current debt to GDP ratio is half that which we had to prevail in WWII and half of Japan's current peacetime ratio. I do not think we are in any danger of bankruptcy.

As for how to solve terrorism, you say attacking the source and responding forcibly to threats will only create more terrorists but bin Laden has said that the US retreat from Somalia and failure to respond to attacks on its interests were proof of American weakness and swelled his ranks. What is the answer?

Why do you assume that there is an infinite number of people willing to become terrorists? It seems to me you assign unlimited resources to the enemy while unrealistically limiting those available to us.
__________________
_____________

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #22
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
TheAcAvenger's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
3,099
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 757, VA

iTrader: (1)

I really will never get the emphasis everyone puts on the national debt. It's just a number. We could sit here and make other countries pay us back their debt to us, and our national debt would disappear, but thats not how the national debt works. If the US wanted to bomb Iran, it's not like it couldn't be done. An increase in taxes, cuts in health care and education, or just not caring about the whole "national debt" could provide means to go to war. And yes, while the number of troops we have available to send to iran might be a decreased figure from what the US is used to, we undoubtebly have enough ships and aircraft to launch a high equipment- low manpower assault on iran.

furthermore, a relationship between terrorists and iran is irrelevant. Iran's proclamation of their nuclear capabilities, despite the restrictions and sanctions that were put on them directly outruling the development of nuclear technology for military purposes in Iran, gives the UN and the US grounds for attacking them before they become more of a threat. While I'm not going to sit here and defend the war on Iraq, it is much easier to argue in favor of a war against Iran.
__________________
2007 E92 335i - TC Kline DA Coilovers, HPA M3 Suspension Retrofit, Quaife LSD, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, Volk TE-37s, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Forge DVs, Stett OC, RB Turbos, Procede V5, PWM Meth, Helix IC, EAS DCI, Rixster VEI, M-Tech Sides, OEM Aero Lip, Rieger Spoiler, Vorsteiner V-35 Hood, Performance Steering Wheel, Anthracite Headliner, OSS Headlights
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST