BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Sandye90m3
Captain
Sandye90m3's Avatar
Canada
13
Rep
816
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Bolting on new Rims

Hello fellow enthusiasts, I purchased some 18" OEM M3 rims last year from a individual on the board. My concern is, can I take the rims off by myself and put them on? I've never done this before (don't hate!!!). I store my car for the winter so it's sitting in my garage. I'm more scared that I will get some heavy wheel vibrations when I drive, but I don't think it will because it came off a e90 and is going back on a e90.



Thanks =)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
43
Rep
3,875
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC

iTrader: (5)

You will have no issues at all. Just remember to re-torque the wheels after ~100km of driving.

30 minutes max, if it is your first time. After that, it gets quicker
__________________
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Sandye90m3
Captain
Sandye90m3's Avatar
Canada
13
Rep
816
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Thank you, I'll give it a shot. One more question, would this affect the Tire Pressure Monitoring System?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
43
Rep
3,875
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC

iTrader: (5)

Not at all, Canada does not use the TPMS like the US has. If you are using stock 18's, your monitoring system should not even notice the difference. You could swap back and forth all day long and not have an issue.
__________________
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Chowster's Avatar
Canada
16
Rep
1,204
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Surrey, BC, Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
Not at all, Canada does not use the TPMS like the US has. If you are using stock 18's, your monitoring system should not even notice the difference. You could swap back and forth all day long and not have an issue.
I'm not sure what you're referencing here. Canadian cars do have TPMS systems, with sensors mounted to the valve stems within the wheels.

OP, you have to ensure that you have the correct sensors inside the 18s you purchased, and they match your MY. MY08 and 09 sensors are different from the MY10 and MY11. If you mix and match, you'll have the TPM light on all the time.

Hope that helps.
__________________
2011.5 E90 Dinan M3, SS II, M-DCT, EDC, M Drive. Winter setup 220M w/ 255/275 Blizzaks
Performance Mods: Dinan St.1 suspension, exhaust, intake; TTPs; BPM St.II, DCT, servo tunes
Cosmetic Mods: OEM CF splitters, mirrors, center console, spoiler; Arkym CF diffuser; LUX; tint
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 04:59 AM   #6
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
43
Rep
3,875
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC

iTrader: (5)

We sure as hell DO NOT have the same TPMS as the US cars do.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190637

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=tire+pressure

Learn your facts. And prove me wrong, if you can.
__________________
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 05:10 AM   #7
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
43
Rep
3,875
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC

iTrader: (5)

And another:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ht=TPMS+CANADA
__________________
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
gthal
Brigadier General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
77
Rep
3,461
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowster View Post
I'm not sure what you're referencing here. Canadian cars do have TPMS systems, with sensors mounted to the valve stems within the wheels.

OP, you have to ensure that you have the correct sensors inside the 18s you purchased, and they match your MY. MY08 and 09 sensors are different from the MY10 and MY11. If you mix and match, you'll have the TPM light on all the time.

Hope that helps.
This is incorrect... We have a flat tire monitor that measures relative rotation to detect flats but no TPMS. Our valve stems are rubber... TPMS are metal. I have changed rims many times without TPMS without issue and no warning light... cause we don't have them!
__________________
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 MB C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Sandye90m3
Captain
Sandye90m3's Avatar
Canada
13
Rep
816
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

We do have a tire pressure monitoring system. The tires came off of a 2008 and are going on a 2009.
__________________
M3.e90 JZB blacked out.coded.TurnerTestPipes
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
gthal
Brigadier General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
77
Rep
3,461
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
We do have a tire pressure monitoring system. The tires came off of a 2008 and are going on a 2009.
Correct, we do. However it is a flat tire monitor system which measures relative rotation of the wheels. In the US they have a TPMS system that electronically senses individual tire pressure. We do not have this. If your valve stems are rubber then it is not TPMS. What this means is you can put any tire/rim on the car and you do NOT have to buy tire pressure sensors. Here is a test, deflate a tire and go for a drive. The car will tell you there is a tire pressure problem but it cannot tell you which tire. In a TPMS system, the car can identify the specific tire and Canadian M3s cannot do this.

But, yes, we do have a tire pressure monitoring system but it is very different than what our US cousins have.
__________________
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 MB C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Daft
Captain
Daft's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
892
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3 & 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.87]
2003 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandye90m3 View Post
Hello fellow enthusiasts, I purchased some 18" OEM M3 rims last year from a individual on the board. My concern is, can I take the rims off by myself and put them on? I've never done this before (don't hate!!!). I store my car for the winter so it's sitting in my garage. I'm more scared that I will get some heavy wheel vibrations when I drive, but I don't think it will because it came off a e90 and is going back on a e90.

Thanks =)
Check out the DIY on this forum on how to change a wheel: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...74&postcount=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
This is incorrect... We have a flat tire monitor that measures relative rotation to detect flats but no TPMS. Our valve stems are rubber... TPMS are metal. I have changed rims many times without TPMS without issue and no warning light... cause we don't have them!
This.
__________________

2011 M3 ZCP | ESS SUPERCHARGED | AKRAPOVIC EVOLUTION | 20" HRE P40 | BREMBO BBK | B&G SPRINGS
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
Mark's M
Captain
Mark's M's Avatar
Canada
21
Rep
852
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 35i but MISSING the M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stoney Creek, ON

iTrader: (2)

And we should be thankful here in Canada that we have this "sort of" TPMS. Between my 3 vehicles at home which I do all of my wheel changing on for summer/winter (with the occasional non-oem rim), it makes life alot easier....and cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
Sandye90m3
Captain
Sandye90m3's Avatar
Canada
13
Rep
816
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Correct, we do. However it is a flat tire monitor system which measures relative rotation of the wheels. In the US they have a TPMS system that electronically senses individual tire pressure. We do not have this. If your valve stems are rubber then it is not TPMS. What this means is you can put any tire/rim on the car and you do NOT have to buy tire pressure sensors. Here is a test, deflate a tire and go for a drive. The car will tell you there is a tire pressure problem but it cannot tell you which tire. In a TPMS system, the car can identify the specific tire and Canadian M3s cannot do this.

But, yes, we do have a tire pressure monitoring system but it is very different than what our US cousins have.

Ahh, I understand now. Thanks for your clarification
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 02:07 AM   #14
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Chowster's Avatar
Canada
16
Rep
1,204
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Surrey, BC, Canada

iTrader: (2)

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I must apologize for the mixup between tmps and ftm.
__________________
2011.5 E90 Dinan M3, SS II, M-DCT, EDC, M Drive. Winter setup 220M w/ 255/275 Blizzaks
Performance Mods: Dinan St.1 suspension, exhaust, intake; TTPs; BPM St.II, DCT, servo tunes
Cosmetic Mods: OEM CF splitters, mirrors, center console, spoiler; Arkym CF diffuser; LUX; tint
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #15
SoTempted
Captain
SoTempted's Avatar
8
Rep
758
Posts

 
Drives: Incompetently
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Clovis, NM

iTrader: (2)

don't forget to tighten in the star pattern.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST