BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
E92 Lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #111
Deltari09
Second Lieutenant
Deltari09's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
291
Posts

Drives: 2011 3-Series Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hawaii, USA

iTrader: (0)

Aww

I'm going to miss the N52 It's a good engine
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #112
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
southlight's Avatar
697
Rep
6,747
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Specs for redline and boost pressure have been added to the first post.


Best regards,
south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #113
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
140
Rep
11,035
Posts

Drives: 2006 BS 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: S. Bay Area, CA + Newark, NJ + ChiCity + True Blue

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
when will this engine debut?
__________________
looking for a PreLCI Black Sapphire e90 front bumper without license plate holes

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #114
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
8899
Rep
17,179
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
when will this engine debut?
See this schedule of the 4-cylinder switchover - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478254

Seems September of this year will be the earliest we'll see this motor used.
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #115
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
Kayani_1's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,616
Posts

Drives: BMW E92/E60
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

I am liking this new engine

More power & torque with a smaller, less heavier engine and a lot better fuel economy. It is a win-win situation in todays demanding NA. market that is power hungry yet want fuel efficiency to be high. So now they got it. Eat your cake and have it too.

Only down side is that the engine is not a high rever other then that it looks great on all fronts. I think overall this will allow a car with overall superior driving dynamics compared to an equal model equipped with N52 NA. engine. The less mass in engine bay and over the front wheels is always a plus. Also, any one that has driven the N54 engine knows its not a high rever but its still hell of fun engine in my book.
__________________
nick named "BAD 3"COBB tune, RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust, VRSF Downpipes, SSQV BOV and ECS chargepipe, M-sport steering (racing alcantara & retrofit M3 paddle shifters.), Alpina B3 transmission flash, AFE powered sealed CAI, LED angels, M3 upper and lower front control arms, E93 M3 Front Swaybar, 235/35/19x9 front & 275/30/19x9.5 rear. When in doubt...flat out

Last edited by Kayani_1; 01-20-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 01:28 AM   #116
JIM E92
Lieutenant
6
Rep
411
Posts

Drives: 2007 328 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sandy Eggo

iTrader: (0)

Personally the tradeoffs are not worth it for me. Sure, it's efficient, powerful, compact. So was my 1.8t back in 2001. I had an APR chipped 1.8t and it was an interesting little undersquare torque machine. The torque gave it character, but it was no fun to rev-up. The power was available almost off idle, in fact the chipped 1.8t had more torque than N52, it was available almost through the entire rev range. It was just nowhere nearly as satisfying as smoothly accelerating to redline in the N52. The N52 is a gem of an engine esp. in 330i form with the dual stage induction. No four cylinder can deliver power as smoothly and as acoustically satisfying as an inline-6. I would be willing to bet that the 3 Series does not make it to Car and Drivers 10 Best list for the 20th time in a row, and they will list one of the reason due to the turbo 4.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:17 AM   #117
JIM E92
Lieutenant
6
Rep
411
Posts

Drives: 2007 328 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sandy Eggo

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I am liking this new engine

More power & torque with a smaller, less heavier engine and a lot better fuel economy. It is a win-win situation in todays demanding NA. market that is power hungry yet want fuel efficiency to be high. So now they got it. Eat your cake and have it too.

Only down side is that the engine is not a high rever other then that it looks great on all fronts. I think overall this will allow a car with overall superior driving dynamics compared to an equal model equipped with N52 NA. engine. The less mass in engine bay and over the front wheels is always a plus. Also, any one that has driven the N54 engine knows its not a high rever but its still hell of fun engine in my book.
Not sure if its really going to be that much less mass in the engine compartment. The N52 is one of the lightest production engines of it's size due to the magnesium block and aluminum sleeves. For comparison the modern VW 2.0T FSI weighs 337lbs dry and the N52 weighs 354lbs dry. The N52 is not even 20lbs more than the 2.0t. That's not even counting the weight of the intercooler, supports for the intercooler, hoses, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #118
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
140
Rep
11,035
Posts

Drives: 2006 BS 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: S. Bay Area, CA + Newark, NJ + ChiCity + True Blue

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
See this schedule of the 4-cylinder switchover - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478254

Seems September of this year will be the earliest we'll see this motor used.
any info on pricing structure?
__________________
looking for a PreLCI Black Sapphire e90 front bumper without license plate holes

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #119
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
maswastage's Avatar
26
Rep
1,072
Posts

Drives: 2010 AW 335d
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
I average 24-25 Mpg in the 135, your spline may be a bit off.

In EU , BMW offers a 60mpg car.
Sure you may average 24mpg in your 135, but how much of that is highway driving? I used to average 35 when my commute was 75% highway, but that's hardly a fair representation of "combined" mpg.

The math may be a bit off because the number I used for comparison, the 27 mpg combined figure for the US 335d, is demonstrably low. In 50-50 mixed driving it's actually closer to 30-31 mpg. Even using 31 in the proportion, the estimated efficiency for the 4 cylinder is 25.7. Not exactly ground breaking.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #120
JoosyJoos
Major
JoosyJoos's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,304
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
Sure you may average 24mpg in your 135, but how much of that is highway driving? I used to average 35 when my commute was 75% highway, but that's hardly a fair representation of "combined" mpg.

The math may be a bit off because the number I used for comparison, the 27 mpg combined figure for the US 335d, is demonstrably low. In 50-50 mixed driving it's actually closer to 30-31 mpg. Even using 31 in the proportion, the estimated efficiency for the 4 cylinder is 25.7. Not exactly ground breaking.
Mileage is always going to be subject to several variables... climate, tire pressures, road conditions (resistance), winds, quality of gas, etc. In the end though it'll just create a normal curve statistically and that's exactly what the EPA does to determine fair mileage I assume. FWIW I've seen 34.3MPG on a 75MPH trip to Charlotte from Atlanta a few times... just bump up the tires to about 38PSI and hope that it's about 55 degrees out.
__________________


1995 M3 Coupe - HPDE/Track Prepped - For Sale
1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared Race Car
2011 335d - Das Uber Commuter (35.1MPG Avg)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #121
David1
Colonel
David1's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,830
Posts

Drives: 09 E92 09 X5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City With No Room For Ludicris Speed!

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
any info on pricing structure?
It won't be cheaper.
__________________
09 335i Coupe LBM - Black Dakota/Glacier aluminum-6spd|Nav|M-Sport|Premium|Logic7|Heated Seats|CA|BMW Performance Suspension & M3 Control Arms|M3 lip spoiler|Avant Garde M510 Wheels
07 335 coupe - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #122
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
368
Rep
24,716
Posts

Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
damn... 35mpg

EDIT: oh just read above... damn that woulda been sweet.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #123
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General
213
Rep
4,337
Posts

Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM E92 View Post
Personally the tradeoffs are not worth it for me. Sure, it's efficient, powerful, compact. So was my 1.8t back in 2001. I had an APR chipped 1.8t and it was an interesting little undersquare torque machine. The torque gave it character, but it was no fun to rev-up. The power was available almost off idle, in fact the chipped 1.8t had more torque than N52, it was available almost through the entire rev range. It was just nowhere nearly as satisfying as smoothly accelerating to redline in the N52. The N52 is a gem of an engine esp. in 330i form with the dual stage induction. No four cylinder can deliver power as smoothly and as acoustically satisfying as an inline-6. I would be willing to bet that the 3 Series does not make it to Car and Drivers 10 Best list for the 20th time in a row, and they will list one of the reason due to the turbo 4.

Read the 2011 ten best comments on the Honda accord. The 4 cylinder is their favorite, and that motor is nowhere near the performance of this motor.
__________________
Lone Star BMW CCA Chapter president, Chief Driving Instructor



Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #124
numba1guju
Lieutenant
numba1guju's Avatar
10
Rep
489
Posts

Drives: 2015 VW Jetta
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

add another turbo and vroom
__________________
SOLD: 2013 328i Mineral Gray ZMM/ZLP/Heated Seats
SOLD: 2002 325i Jet Black ZPP
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #125
JoosyJoos
Major
JoosyJoos's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,304
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by numba1guju View Post
add another turbo and vroom
Add methanol and a tune and VROOM... just like the N54/N55
__________________


1995 M3 Coupe - HPDE/Track Prepped - For Sale
1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared Race Car
2011 335d - Das Uber Commuter (35.1MPG Avg)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #126
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
368
Rep
24,716
Posts

Drives: '04 330i ZHP
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [4.75]
2011 135i  [3.73]
2008 328xi  [4.38]
oh yeah, this thing can easily hit 300+ hp/tq
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #127
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
140
Rep
10,624
Posts

Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
for a single turbo, those numbers are not too shabby
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #128
Bartman619
Captain
12
Rep
693
Posts

Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SDCA

iTrader: (2)

Is that the oil cooler in front of the oil filter cap ? Hopefully there is a larger oil cooler somewhere in that engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #129
Diver
Brigadier General
Diver's Avatar
United_States
114
Rep
3,185
Posts

Drives: Black '12 135i DCT PPK Msport
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

1.2 bar is twice the boost that an N55 has. Not much left over to tune there. In a light car this motor will be dynamite.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #130
JoosyJoos
Major
JoosyJoos's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,304
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
1.2 bar is twice the boost that an N55 has. Not much left over to tune there. In a light car this motor will be dynamite.
That's a good point actually. That being said if you remove the catalytic converters, open up the exhaust,and improve upon the intercooler you'll likely see a better improvement over the N55/N54 because the boost levels are higher. My car gained about 45hp at the crank just by switching those things out on the N54 without any tune. Guess we'll find out in due time.

Side note: Am I the only one that thinks a X1 lowered with some decent rims and a roof rack would look sick (if tinted out etc.)?
__________________


1995 M3 Coupe - HPDE/Track Prepped - For Sale
1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared Race Car
2011 335d - Das Uber Commuter (35.1MPG Avg)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #131
Aeroav8r
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: '11 535i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tustin, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM E92 View Post
Not sure if its really going to be that much less mass in the engine compartment. The N52 is one of the lightest production engines of it's size due to the magnesium block and aluminum sleeves. For comparison the modern VW 2.0T FSI weighs 337lbs dry and the N52 weighs 354lbs dry. The N52 is not even 20lbs more than the 2.0t. That's not even counting the weight of the intercooler, supports for the intercooler, hoses, etc.
N52 doesn't have an intercooler since it is NOT turbocharged...

The N54 is turbocharged, and has an aluminum block...
__________________
2011 535i
2005 Nissan Titan
2013 Accord LX sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #132
Diver
Brigadier General
Diver's Avatar
United_States
114
Rep
3,185
Posts

Drives: Black '12 135i DCT PPK Msport
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

JoosyJoos, now you have me looking at cat backs.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:32 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST