BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Lux Angel Eyes

08-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
Richbot
Colonel

Drives: Jerez Black E90

DIY: Steering Angle Sensor fix cross-post from E90post

Got the hill start assist inactive, DSC inactive, and cruise inactive, and no auto-reset on the turn signals, happened intermittently and then permanently in the course of a few hot days. Apparently this is fault 94BE though I did not check codes I knew the symptoms would likely be the SZL . This is a ~$500 part so not a fun bill to pay if you don't have to, and not something you can just walk down to wally world and get either. So knowing this was a potential E90 issue, I went and found this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520467

and cleared it right up, all I did was clean the encoder disc, I did not resolder anything. Will report back if the issue returns.

I would note that you should cover your M trim with something, the coating is very soft and will scratch easily. Mine was wearing at the touch points anyway so now I'm definitely replacing it.

Funny, the car hit 50,000 miles this week, the BMW "out of warranty" doomsday timer must have run out. It's been out of warranty for about a year and this is the first issue (of many more to come, I'm sure) that has come up

Just a friendly FYI for those searching here but not the E90 forums, as this issue is common to all E9x chassis cars (crud on the encoder disc)

Last edited by Richbot; 08-30-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
TrakBch
Captain

Drives: Alpine White E92

I had this problem. I did that fix. It cleared it up for about a month. Came back, and kept coming back.

I just swapped in a used on and re-coded it. No problems after 7 months.
Gallardo Superlegerra - Hey! Look @ Me!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
MilehighM3
Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

The E60 had a recall to replace the optical element that reads the steering angle from the disc. The parts look the same. I wonder if the repair kit would correct the E90 issues as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Richbot
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
The E60 had a recall to replace the optical element that reads the steering angle from the disc. The parts look the same. I wonder if the repair kit would correct the E90 issues as well?
I believe there is a PUMA measure on this for the E9x as well. But when parts are a week away and you want to use your cruise control, this is handy
      11-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Richbot
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
I believe there is a PUMA measure on this for the E9x as well. But when parts are a week away and you want to use your cruise control, this is handy
No issues 4000 miles and 4 mo later