BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
 
Kurohouou's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Side

Posts: 206
iTrader: (1)

Venting about East Coast Salting!

I don't know about other people who live on the East Coast but I can't wait for it to stop "salting". That's what I call it here when the county expects snow and they just lay down about 1/4" of salt on the streets in anticipation of snow which either doesn't come or is so minimal it was pointless to salt.

I don't know why the county feels they need to salt as much as they do. The roads are seriously white because of salt for 3 months out of the year. You just drive down the road for a couple miles and even if its dry out your car will be covered in a layer of salt, especially on the back of the car. You can see clouds of white dust from cars kicking the salt dust into the air. It can't be good for the roads or the environment, and especially not good for cars. I just wish there was something more I could do to prevent them from wasting tax payers money on this I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same as me but just wanted to vent some.

Tonight were supposed to get two inches of snow. Key word "supposed" to... more then likely it would just be a dusting.. But I guarantee the salt trucks will be out in full force ready to add to the mess!
Kurohouou is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 1,869
iTrader: (1)

The roads over here are simply murder on our cars. Between Pot holes, Salt and Sand, harsh winters. Lots of truck traffic. It's a cost of living I guess.
CSanto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Kyoshi71
Colonel
 
Kyoshi71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

Posts: 2,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohouou View Post
I don't know about other people who live on the East Coast but I can't wait for it to stop "salting". That's what I call it here when the county expects snow and they just lay down about 1/4" of salt on the streets in anticipation of snow which either doesn't come or is so minimal it was pointless to salt.

I don't know why the county feels they need to salt as much as they do. The roads are seriously white because of salt for 3 months out of the year. You just drive down the road for a couple miles and even if its dry out your car will be covered in a layer of salt, especially on the back of the car. You can see clouds of white dust from cars kicking the salt dust into the air. It can't be good for the roads or the environment, and especially not good for cars. I just wish there was something more I could do to prevent them from wasting tax payers money on this I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same as me but just wanted to vent some.

Tonight were supposed to get two inches of snow. Key word "supposed" to... more then likely it would just be a dusting.. But I guarantee the salt trucks will be out in full force ready to add to the mess!
It's still better than sand, which I havent seen them spread at all this year (which is really strange)
__________________
"But resist we much; we must; and we will much; about that be committed."
~Rev. Al Sharpton


2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Kyoshi71 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
shamoo
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SoCal (Irvine & LA)

Posts: 744
iTrader: (1)

Tell me about it! I hate it. I spent an hour or so cleaning the car last weekend, only to drive it once to my friend's house. When I got home and looked at it, it was as if I had done nothing to it.



__________________
2008 E92 M3 | 2007 Honda S2000 | 2001 Honda S2000 | 1997 Turbo Integra
shamoo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Dengel
Non-Guido Jersey Resident
 
Dengel's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow Jeep Rubicon
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Posts: 678
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Tell me about it! I hate it. I spent an hour or so cleaning the car last weekend, only to drive it once to my friend's house. When I got home and looked at it, it was as if I had done nothing to it.



you can barely tell your tips are blued titanium.
Dengel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
PIMP "E"
Colonel
 
PIMP "E"'s Avatar
 
Drives: AW 2011 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ft. lauderdale fl, in mannheim germany

Posts: 2,486
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to PIMP "E"
thats why you get a beater for the winter.
__________________
MONEY IS THE SAIL TO MY BOAT
PIMP "E" is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Poleposition's Avatar
 
Drives: very well
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY

Posts: 1,063
iTrader: (0)

I dont mind it so much. I think it gives the cars even more character. Id even go as far as to say, I like it. Maybe because silverstone carries it well.

__________________
20135
21" DPE Super Concave, Meisterschaft GTC w/LXR midpipes, BMC filters, Charcoal delete, H&R springs, IND cosmetic pkg, M-Performance Spoiler, Wrapped roof, Hardwired V1, Coded
2013 X6 50i MSport

2008 SmartCar - 2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Poleposition is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
BobsM3Coupe
Captain
 
Drives: M3 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California

Posts: 862
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
They all salt because they get sued if someone has an accident and they haven't painted the roads white with salt. It's an American lawsuit thing. No driving skills required.
Don't forget that the DPW employees do get time and a half overtime when they have to salt between 3 pm to 7 am and double time on Sundays and holidays. That's the real reason why the roads have that nice salty residue for 4 months of the year in the midwest and northeast.
BobsM3Coupe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
MTROIS
Major
 
MTROIS's Avatar
 
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA

Posts: 1,111
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
The roads over here are simply murder on our cars. Between Pot holes, Salt and Sand, harsh winters. Lots of truck traffic. It's a cost of living I guess.
...tell me about it!! Hit a pothole last night with my brand new Winter tires... Got a bubble!!

Thank God for the Tire insurance plan...
__________________
2008 M3 Coupé | 1995 M3 LTW | BMW CCA Instructor
MTROIS is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
ersin
Brigadier General
 
ersin's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 4,070
iTrader: (1)

I like salt. Makes things taste better. But I gotta watch all that sodium. It's bad for the blood pressure you know. So, I can't wait for spring either.


Cheers.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
ersin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2011, 01:37 AM   #11
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
 
Joonsup's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 17,311
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [4.75]
Send a message via AIM to Joonsup
oh boy im glad i live in california...(weather wise that is) haha.
Joonsup is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,812
iTrader: (3)

Could be worse. Out west, it gets so cold they don't even use salt in a lot of areas - they just drop gravel etc to add traction. If you think salt is bad, try rocks bouncing off your car : )
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #13
MTROIS
Major
 
MTROIS's Avatar
 
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA

Posts: 1,111
iTrader: (0)

Try this:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-roa...er-gallon.html

Or any similar product they sell in boating supply shops such as West Marine...

but I agree with you: Enough with this winter!
__________________
2008 M3 Coupé | 1995 M3 LTW | BMW CCA Instructor
MTROIS is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST