BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
jpsum
Major
United_States
45

 
jpsum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 TSX
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Haven area


Posts: 1,089
iTrader: (4)

Airline ticket loophole?

Ok, here is my situation.


I bought a non-refundable ticket ($850) back in 6/4/10 but had no choice but to cancel it due to personal reasons. They gave me a credit for a future ticket - good for a year. Here's the catch:

1. If I don't use up all $850 of credit on the future ticket, I will lose the rest of the credit. So if I buy a ticket that is only $450, I'll end up losing $400.

2. I will have to pay $150 of change fee when I book my future ticket with this credit. Plus, I can't use the left over credit to pay for it.

3. Ticket is non-transferable. Future ticket can only be booked for myself.



I never really flew US airways that much before so I wasn't too familiar with their policies. I flew United for years and they are completely different in this regard.

So here's my question, can I buy a new "refundable" ticket with my credit and pay the $150 change fee, then later return the refundable ticket?

I'm going to call USAirways later (it's an Indian call center btw, fun fun fun) but wanted to see if anyone here did something similar before.

P.S. - What I'm the most afraid of is that I pay $150 and buy this refundable ticket and then have them later tell me that I can't return it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
WWONG
Banned
United_States
38

 
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Houston, TX


Posts: 1,833
iTrader: (14)

Like most basic stores, they return the money to you via the way you paid. So the most beneficial thing you can do with that is make the 1 yr credit an infinite credit if you keep doing the same thing annually until you're ready to use it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
jpsum
Major
United_States
45

 
jpsum's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 TSX
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Haven area


Posts: 1,089
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWONG View Post
Like most basic stores, they return the money to you via the way you paid. So the most beneficial thing you can do with that is make the 1 yr credit an infinite credit if you keep doing the same thing annually until you're ready to use it.
How do I make it an infinite credit?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
10

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada


Posts: 536
iTrader: (0)

Maybe he means to book, cancel, book, cancel, etc. But it doesn't make sense since you pay $150 change fee each time.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Freakazoid
Captain
34

 
Freakazoid's Avatar
 
Drives: Saturn Redline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pittsburgh


Posts: 967
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boymonkey View Post
Maybe he means to book, cancel, book, cancel, etc. But it doesn't make sense since you pay $150 change fee each time.

this, if you cancel/return the refundable ticket, you're just going to get another credit towards another flight, effectively losing the $150

this is exactly why I don't do refundables with anyone but southwest. Having a 'fully refundable fare' but having to pay a fee is silly.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
6

 
ScaredOnce's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi (e92)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PIT


Posts: 450
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
If you have a status with US, I don't believe you need to pay a change fee. Actually, if you have a status with UA, you shouldn't have to pay either. US, UA and CO are all the same big happy family. Being Star Alliance Gold should take care of that as well.

The airlines will almost always budge if they think there's a way to get you on as a continuing customer. I flew about 300k airmiles in 2010, so my perspectives might be different on their customer service. But, if you do have a status, always call your mileage club (US = Dividend Miles; UA = Mileage Plus) number for help - never just general customer service.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Freakazoid
Captain
34

 
Freakazoid's Avatar
 
Drives: Saturn Redline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pittsburgh


Posts: 967
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
If you have a status with US, I don't believe you need to pay a change fee. Actually, if you have a status with UA, you shouldn't have to pay either. US, UA and CO are all the same big happy family. Being Star Alliance Gold should take care of that as well.

The airlines will almost always budge if they think there's a way to get you on as a continuing customer. I flew about 300k airmiles in 2010, so my perspectives might be different on their customer service. But, if you do have a status, always call your mileage club (US = Dividend Miles; UA = Mileage Plus) number for help - never just general customer service.

Good luck.
good point, if you have status, it'll go a long way.

if you don't though, they really don't give a rats ass about you
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST