BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

E92 Lighting

12-21-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
motosan
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP M3

Located the cabin rattling / squeaking sound!

Guys:
I know many of you have had minimum rattling sound annoyance, especially for those with 2011 models. However, after few days of ownership I already started to notice a small amount of rattling from my M. At that time I couldn't locate the sound, maybe it's from the seat belt, or the arm rest, etc...

Recently i just had my windows tinted. The day after the tint shop, the rattling became a noticeable squeaking sound coming from the passenger side. After spending some time inspecting, I found out that at the passenger sides panel, right between the two side compartments, one with openanble door and one not, when i pressed on the plastic area, a loud squeaking sound came out. The squeaking sounded like a styrofoam being squeezed/pressed against something really tight.

My first instinct thought that perhaps the tint shop didn't mount it well (since they did mention that my passenger window for some reason was "tighter" fit for the tint film than my driver side). But after the shop checked out my panel by taking the whole thing off, there was nothing on the back of the front plastic, meaning no styrofoam or anything was being pressed. It seems that the material just squeaks the heck out of itself when pressured. When the car is in motion, door moves along with the body frame and when the right point at that plastic area is pressured, the squeaking sound comes out.

I have the same squeaking sound from my driver side but is 10 times less.

Has anyone of you experienced the same thing? I am bringing my car to the dealer tomorrow to check out the squeaking.. Let's see what the dealer has to say about it...
motosan is offline   United_States
      12-21-2010, 02:35 AM   #2
TMR
Colonel

Drives: M3

Although my car only has 700 miles i hear no squeaks or rattles.
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
TMR is offline   United_States
      12-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
patrick1
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 M3, 2014 X5-5.0

I experienced the same thing. Unfortunatly, I had my windows tinted the day after delivery so I don't know if the squeaks/rattles were present before door trim removal. These noises are only present at low speeds and mainly in the morning. The chasis in these cars is so stiff that it magnifies any loose or rubbing componet.
      12-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
signes
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 M3

I had something similar if I understand what you are saying. My front passenger door trim was a little out of alignment and was rubbing on other trim/door frame. The dealer put some foam and felt tape in the areas that were rubbing and haven't heard it in the last two years. I first thought it was coming from the passenger seat but they chased it down and did a good job of fixing it.
signes is offline   United_States
      12-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
motosan
Private First Class

I cancelled my appointment with the dealer today because it was raining really crazily (besides I couldn't wake up 6am in the morning on a raining day lol). I figure it would do no good to test drive and replicate the rattling/squeaking when it rains so loud outside. I have rescheduled to next week and hopefully the rain will completely stop.... So cal is flooding!!! Can you believe that?

I'll keep you guys updated!
      12-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #6
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 DCT

I found a rattle that eventually turned out to be the arm rest. When I applied some pressure to the top it goes away. Seems like mine isn't too tight with the rubber stoppy things.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
      12-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
mdosu
Banned

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

i get a rattle on my dash or shift console now...
mdosu is offline   No_Country
      01-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #8
motosan
Private First Class

Guys:
Just a quick update. The squeaking sound on my passenger door panel actually surprised the SA and the tech guys, and they agreed to completely "replace" my passenger door panel.

However, after they looked into my other issues such as loose hand-brake, now I started to get rattling from the navigation or the center console...

Hopefully the next visit both rattlings would be eliminated =)