BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
James T. Kirk's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
1,425
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001

iTrader: (0)

From the horse's mouth: Break-in/First Service

I took my 2011 M3 DCT ZCP car in this weekend for it's first 1,200-mile service. While I waited later to pick it up I had a long conversation with the Service Manager (not my SA) on exactly what really goes in an M first service.

Yes, they change the fluids to flush out any sediments and residue from the new engine, but he also said this:

1) Before first service, the M3's RPM was "governed" so that full revs would be limited during the break-in period.

2) During the break-in period, the car operates at around 30% less horsepower than it's full HP at approximately the low 300's.

3) All those limits are re-calibrated and unlocked at first service.

Let me tell you guys... my car is a completely different animal now that I have her back from service. It sounds different, revs more freely and has ALOT more torque. NO WAY this was just a fluid change.
__________________

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
trism3
Private
0
Rep
51
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ssf, ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
1, 2, and 3 are all 100% BS.
I second that.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
BigHat
Lieutenant
BigHat's Avatar
6
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3 E93
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
I took my 2011 M3 DCT ZCP car in this weekend for it's first 1,200-mile service. While I waited later to pick it up I had a long conversation with the Service Manager (not my SA) on exactly what really goes in an M first service.

Yes, they change the fluids to flush out any sediments and residue from the new engine, but he also said this:

1) Before first service, the M3's RPM was "governed" so that full revs would be limited during the break-in period.

2) During the break-in period, the car operates at around 30% less horsepower than it's full HP at approximately the low 300's.

3) All those limits are re-calibrated and unlocked at first service.

Let me tell you guys... my car is a completely different animal now that I have her back from service. It sounds different, revs more freely and has ALOT more torque. NO WAY this was just a fluid change.
Haven't you learned by now that the least informed people on BMWs are those that sell and service them?

I have heard of cars being inadvertently delivered to the customer in a reduced power condition used solely for the shipping process, but I'm not even sure that's true.

And yes, it's just a fluid change. Sorry.

Last edited by BigHat; 12-20-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Bosna
Picking fights with sharks
Bosna's Avatar
1
Rep
133
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trism3 View Post
I second that.
Third. I got my RPMS in the eight thousands during breakin. Also, the car felt exactly the same after service.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
PKL
Colonel
PKL's Avatar
35
Rep
2,466
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Monica

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Haven't you learned by now that the least informed people on BMWs are those that sell and service them?
100% fact.
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
BigHat
Lieutenant
BigHat's Avatar
6
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3 E93
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (0)

I'm in no way poking fun at Captain Kirk; after all, it makes sense to think you're getting straight scoop from a guy that feeds his family by working for BMW. Sadly, some of them are truly clueless and I'm embarrassed for them.

Every now and then you'll see someone swear that a Comfort Access key charges in the ignition like a normal key does. Now that's covered in the clealry in the manual, but a number of salesman and service reps don't even know this isn't the case and will steer customers wrong. Amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Kyoshi71's Avatar
35
Rep
2,528
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
1, 2, and 3 are all 100% BS.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Haven't you learned by now that the least informed people on BMWs are those that sell and service them?
And yes, it's just a fluid change. Sorry.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosna View Post
Third. I got my RPMS in the eight thousands during breakin. Also, the car felt exactly the same after service.
+1
__________________
"But resist we much; we must; and we will much; about that be committed."
~Rev. Al Sharpton


2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
64
Rep
4,961
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post

I have heard of cars being inadvertently delivered to the customer in a reduced power condition used solely for the shipping process, but I'm not even sure that's true.
There is a transport mode - maybe this guy is confused with that. I cant remember - but I think it limited RPM's to aprox. 4000 rpm. When they PDI the car the remove it from that. A member here had is car delivered to him in Transport mode (I believe that is what he called it)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
92
Rep
6,814
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
There is a transport mode - maybe this guy is confused with that. I cant remember - but I think it limited RPM's to aprox. 4000 rpm. When they PDI the car the remove it from that. A member here had is car delivered to him in Transport mode (I believe that is what he called it)
It was me and it was 4500 RPM.It went away by itself after a few run cycles.After that my car had full RPM and power.The 2000 km service did nothing to change the power.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #10
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
James T. Kirk's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
1,425
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001

iTrader: (0)

I KNEW you guys were going to react this way. LOL!

Even if you guys, who apparently are more qualified to speak on M3s than my own BMW Dealership Service Manager, are all correct that it's a bunch of hooey, then why in the bloody hell would a Service Manager concoct such a story if there was nothing to it? We're talking about a senior manager at this dealership for over 16 years. I had already finished my break-in period and had nothing to gain by a fictitious story.

I can assure you one thing... the performance change in my M3 is REAL. I'm an experienced driver now on my 4th Bimmer, 2nd M3, and I have never felt such a dramatic difference from a measly fluid change service. The difference more resembles the time I had my 335i chipped up an additional 70 HP. The engine sounds different. My same foot, on the same pedal, pressed the same distance down is shooting my revs higher than before the first service. So either something significant changed under the hood or I'm just plain insane from being so excited that I can finally DRIVE my M3 like an Ultimate Driving Machine!

Is there a BMW certified mechanic out there who can settle this? My engineering expertise is limited to warp drives and phaser arrays.
__________________

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)

Last edited by James T. Kirk; 12-20-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
92
Rep
6,814
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
I KNEW you guys were going to react this way. LOL!

Even if you guys, who apparently are more qualified to speak on M3s than my own BMW Dealership Service Manager, are all correct that it's a bunch of hooey, then why in the bloody hell would a Service Manager concoct such a story if there was nothing to it? We're talking about a senior manager at this dealership for over 16 years. I had already finished my break-in period and had nothing to gain by a fictitious story.

I can assure you one thing... the performance change in my M3 is REAL. I'm an experienced driver now on my 4th Bimmer, 2nd M3, and I have never felt such a dramatic difference from a measly fluid change service. The difference more resembles the time I had my 335i chipped up an additional 70 HP. The engine sounds different. My same foot, on the same pedal, pressed the same distance down is shooting my revs higher than before the first service. So either something significant changed under the hood or I'm just plain insane from being so excited that I can finally DRIVE my M3 like an Ultimate Driving Machine!

Is there a BMW certified mechanic out there who can settle this? My engineering expertise is limited to warp drives and phaser arrays.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
robackja
Lieutenant
robackja's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
402
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Jeep Wrangler
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boulder, CO

iTrader: (0)

^^^ LOL!
__________________
2011.5 E92 ///M3 Space Gray; Fox Red & Blk; 6MT; ZCP; ZCV; ZP2; ///M Performance Exhaust (sold)
2012 VW Jetta TDI (sold)
2002 Subaru WRX (sold)

The World in 35mm
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
James T. Kirk's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
1,425
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001

iTrader: (0)

Great. I am going insane.
Attached Images
 
__________________

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)

Last edited by James T. Kirk; 12-20-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #14
toper
First Lieutenant
toper's Avatar
3
Rep
300
Posts

 
Drives: C4S Cab
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

unless they updated your DCT software as well, your car drives EXACTLY the same now as it did before your 1200m service (maybe they turned on the special ZCP break-in switch?).
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
BigHat
Lieutenant
BigHat's Avatar
6
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3 E93
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (0)

You're insane Kirk, but enjoy the unencumbered joy of post-break-in driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
United_States
143
Rep
5,830
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Crazy Bimmer
Waxing the car gives it better aerodynamics too.

I can go flat out with a coat of Zaino.
__________________
2009 E90 M3 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #17
Poleposition
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Poleposition's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,065
Posts

 
Drives: very well
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

First off, youre bewilderment at the notion that the esteemed 16 year service mgr at your dealership is misinformed is completely understandable. The fact is, he's not the horses mouth you refer to in your title. Do a euro delivery and youll get to meet some of the horses mouths. I agree with the others in saying he is grossly misinformed.
__________________
20135
21" DPE Super Concave, Meisterschaft GTC w/LXR midpipes, BMC filters, Charcoal delete, H&R springs, IND cosmetic pkg, M-Performance Spoiler, Wrapped roof, Hardwired V1, Coded
2013 X6 50i MSport

2008 SmartCar - 2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #18
VictorH
Captain
16
Rep
637
Posts

 
Drives: '09 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SC

iTrader: (2)

Sorry, but your service manager is mis-informed. I have personally driven a less than 5 mile new M3 to the redline multiple times (after the sales associate set the WOT & redline example for me). Engine tone and acceleration felt identical to car I eventually purchased.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #19
gthal
Brigadier General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
77
Rep
3,460
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
I noticed NO change after break-in. In fact, I called one of the techs at the BMW dealership that I know personally after reading this and he said this is a load of garbage... only difference is freedom to play in upper RPM range. Anything else is placebo effect.
__________________
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 MB C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #20
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
///M Rakete's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
857
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
I took my 2011 M3 DCT ZCP car in this weekend for it's first 1,200-mile service. While I waited later to pick it up I had a long conversation with the Service Manager (not my SA) on exactly what really goes in an M first service.

Yes, they change the fluids to flush out any sediments and residue from the new engine, but he also said this:

1) Before first service, the M3's RPM was "governed" so that full revs would be limited during the break-in period.

2) During the break-in period, the car operates at around 30% less horsepower than it's full HP at approximately the low 300's.

3) All those limits are re-calibrated and unlocked at first service.

Let me tell you guys... my car is a completely different animal now that I have her back from service. It sounds different, revs more freely and has ALOT more torque. NO WAY this was just a fluid change.
Please verify that your car's Power setting is not now at Sport Plus and that's the reason you think it's "different".
__________________
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #21
saeedg48
Brigadier General
Iran
132
Rep
3,499
Posts

 
Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Unknown

iTrader: (1)

1 2 & 3 all a lie .. annoying when people say shit like that
__________________


2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #22
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
43
Rep
3,875
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC

iTrader: (5)

My vote for the worst SM story of '10.
__________________
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST