BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

Steve Thomas BMW

10-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
yearningirish
Rep
Drives: audi

Personality Tests

Is the Myers Briggs test a valid basis of whether or not to hire an applicant for a job? My best friend wants to apply for a job but one of its requirements is the taking of the said test. Are personality tests even accurate? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I would say it's pretty close. Those tests aren't about whether one personality is good or bad. It's more about being aware of how you are so you can adapt or change if necessary. Emotional intelligence is about being aware of yourself as well as others.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
David 12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 BSM

Businesses are looking for more than technical expertise but also want to know if an applicant will be a good fit in the culture of the company or a fit with a team of potential coworkers. I believe it should not be used as a pass or fail test but just one component when selecting a new employee.

Yes, the company can legally require the test. As the other poster said, the company can also use the test for development purposes post-hire for success factors/competencies such as emotional intelligence, etc.

I use the DISC profile, which is a behavioral tendency assessment that is easy to interpret.

Gallup is an example of a company that requires the completion of an online assessment for every applicant.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
yearningirish
Rep
Drives: audi

She takes it tomorrow and last night we went through some websites and found the one she thinks was on the company's site CPP they actually pay for the test and can get like detailed explanations of each type. If it were free for the company I could understand it better but these companies actually spend money on this stuff...I'd be trying to get the most out of it if it were me so that's probably why they make every single applicant take it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:35 AM   #5
Harrietta Outterridge
Registered
Rep
Drives: montero

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearningirish View Post
Is the Myers Briggs test a valid basis of whether or not to hire an applicant for a job? My best friend wants to apply for a job but one of its requirements is the taking of the said test. Are personality tests even accurate? Thanks
Iím not really sure if it gives accurate results but Iím scared every time I have to take it as a requirement in my current job, scared not to conform with their rigid formulas that might affect my employment.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
IN10SS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

The best application of the results is when the employee recognizes their personality traits and takes them into consideration in their personal growth plan.
As a hiring manager, using it for anymore than a couple of targeted questions in the final interview is probably a mistake. A person's maturity level, demonstrated ability to get results, willingness to compromise on common goals, and work ethic are at least as important to their and their companies success.
In this case, the question is probably mute considering the date of the original post. Ha ha.

Last edited by IN10SS; 02-17-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: timing
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
NickyC
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something German.

Is this test some weird way of making HR people feel like they're worth something?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Is this test some weird way of making HR people feel like they're worth something?
Basically it is the spineless pussy test. Just more ways for companies to test and see if you are a nut-less beta personality, who will sit quietly in his cube, do the work load of 3 people for a fraction of the pay, and agree with everything that some PC dick head around you and manager says.

Last edited by Delta0311; 02-17-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Many HR departments use much more revealing tests for applicants, like computational, mechanical, language skills tests. The MB test doesn't give you a 'grade' per se, just establishes personality type.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #10
Falkon
Rep
Drives: X5

I would say, go there and fill out the questionnaire as best as you know yourself; trying to fake it will not do you any more good than an equivalent outcome if you be consistent with how you understand your behavioral attitudes.

The matrix is designed for you and your employer to feel that they understand your complete personality traits and, to a certain level, believe that humans could be predictable based on these definitions. Is this really TRUE?

Hence, their myriad of applications and/or misapplications.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
loveskiing
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrietta Outterridge View Post
Iím not really sure if it gives accurate results but Iím scared every time I have to take it as a requirement in my current job, scared not to conform with their rigid formulas that might affect my employment.
Not sure if you could say the Myers Briggs is a definitive test to see what kind of person you are...maybe the MMPI would be a better assessment...
I personally like Enneagram but think that all these tests are really predictors not entirely factual because certain folks react differently when matched with other folks...in other words put two people who have problems with certain kinds of individuals together and there maybe more conflict than two who are more well suited for one another.
I encourage folks NOT to be scared...simply be yourself...better to be happy and satisfied at work than stay in a hostile work environment and suffer physically or mentally
Appreciate 0