BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #23
DenverJayhawk
Major
DenverJayhawk's Avatar
19
Rep
1,218
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Nikon D7000. Incredible camera.
__________________

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 12:08 AM   #24
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
30
Rep
1,770
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335d
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninesixtwo View Post
D7000 with same here just sold my D90 to a friend and got her the 35mm, though she's borrowing my 18-200 for now. hard to justify getting a D700 when all this stuff works so great.
I'd go for a D700 anyday. its so much better but very expensive.

i heard good things about the D7000
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 03:48 AM   #25
Sylon
Brigadier General
Sylon's Avatar
United_States
60
Rep
3,413
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan / Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 135i  [4.60]
Apparently I'm old school, lol, I rock a Nikon D200. My Flickr link is in my sig. A few shots were taken with my old D50 (those shots say D50 on them), the rest were with my D200.
__________________

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #26
ibeclueless
What
ibeclueless's Avatar
93
Rep
9,331
Posts

 
Drives: E92 328xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Quincy, MA

iTrader: (1)

Nikon D90
__________________
E92 328xi Space Gray
Aero Lip | M3 Side Skirts | CF Performance Spoiler | ACS Roof | Gloss Black Grilles | LUX H8 Angels | BMW Performance Exhaust

My E92 Photos
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #27
remmib
General
remmib's Avatar
Norway
352
Rep
26,253
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

Canon user here.
7D with EF-S 10-22, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 50 f/1.4 and 135 f/2.0L.
__________________

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #28
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
95
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
oh oh oh, that's one of the smaller islands in Greece, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #29
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
95
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

Current cameras:

SLR - Canon 5D Mark II

Video - Canon HF-S100 (currently for sale... $500 incl. a wide angle adapter)

Point/Shoot - iPhone 4

Lenses: Canon 135 F2L, Canon 17-40 F4L
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #30
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
42
Rep
1,202
Posts

 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

rolling with a Canon 40D and a 3 2.8L lenses from 16mm through 200mm.

Been very satisfied with the set up; but i'm loving the results i've seen posted by the 5D mkII.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #31
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
95
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Been very satisfied with the set up; but i'm loving the results i've seen posted by the 5D mkII.
Unless you specifically want full frame I would say the 7D is probably a better camera. Definitely a better focus system, significantly so. The 5D2 focus system dates back to the 20D. Also, the 7D shoots bursts at 8fps I believe, which is pretty nice.

Hopefully the 5D Mark 3 will use the 7D's focus system.

If you have the budget for the 1D Mark IV it's also a good choice. It's not full frame but it's less cropped than the 7D. And it has the best focus system there is. The crop can actually be helpful because the 5D can vignette a little too easily.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #32
rsjean
satch
rsjean's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
1,049
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sonoran Desert, Tucson AZ

iTrader: (3)

D90...

...which is sooo much better a camera than I am a photographer that it's probably the last camera I will need to own.
__________________

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #33
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
42
Rep
1,202
Posts

 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Unless you specifically want full frame I would say the 7D is probably a better camera. Definitely a better focus system, significantly so. The 5D2 focus system dates back to the 20D. Also, the 7D shoots bursts at 8fps I believe, which is pretty nice.

Hopefully the 5D Mark 3 will use the 7D's focus system.

If you have the budget for the 1D Mark IV it's also a good choice. It's not full frame but it's less cropped than the 7D. And it has the best focus system there is. The crop can actually be helpful because the 5D can vignette a little too easily.
Yeah, the 40D does 5.6 fps i think... and that's pretty darn fast unless you're a pro sports shooter.

Ok, you talked me into it, i'll check out the 7D. I was really liking the 5D for the video which i assume is better on full frame. No? Like you i figured i'd ditch the camcorder and just have a do it all camera body.

In what situation do you notice the vignetting?
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #34
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
95
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Yeah, the 40D does 5.6 fps i think... and that's pretty darn fast unless you're a pro sports shooter.

Ok, you talked me into it, i'll check out the 7D. I was really liking the 5D for the video which i assume is better on full frame. No? Like you i figured i'd ditch the camcorder and just have a do it all camera body.

In what situation do you notice the vignetting?
at full wide with my 17-40 there is some vignetting under bright daylight.

I've seen mention of vignetting on some of the photog forums.

the 5D2 is probably still the superior video camera (compared to the 7D) because the full frame gives a shallow depth of field and the image quality is a bit better. But the 7D does 60fps which, the 5D2 does not. That's pretty useful for slow motion work.

What I've found so far is that shooting video with a DSLR takes a lot of work. You need to focus manually, have something to steady the camera like a rig, etc. It's not like a P&S camcorder. I'm probably going to end up spending a money on a shoulder rig, viewfinder, follow focus, a tripod, and at least one fluid head, plus a better microphone. It adds up fast. I was even thinking about building some kind of a trolley rig for rolling around the camera at knee height to get smooth, low/wide angle shots.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #35
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
42
Rep
1,202
Posts

 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
at full wide with my 17-40 there is some vignetting under bright daylight.

I've seen mention of vignetting on some of the photog forums.

the 5D2 is probably still the superior video camera (compared to the 7D) because the full frame gives a shallow depth of field and the image quality is a bit better. But the 7D does 60fps which, the 5D2 does not. That's pretty useful for slow motion work.

What I've found so far is that shooting video with a DSLR takes a lot of work. You need to focus manually, have something to steady the camera like a rig, etc. It's not like a P&S camcorder. I'm probably going to end up spending a money on a shoulder rig, viewfinder, follow focus, a tripod, and at least one fluid head, plus a better microphone. It adds up fast. I was even thinking about building some kind of a trolley rig for rolling around the camera at knee height to get smooth, low/wide angle shots.
Good information about your video experience. You can't just throw it in AI servo and shoot video? Manual focus would be a task for sure. I guess Canon forgets to mention that while that camera was used to fill these short movies etc... that they were used in conjunction with about another $2000 worth (or MORE) of equipment.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #36
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
95
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Good information about your video experience. You can't just throw it in AI servo and shoot video? Manual focus would be a task for sure. I guess Canon forgets to mention that while that camera was used to fill these short movies etc... that they were used in conjunction with about another $2000 worth (or MORE) of equipment.
I dunno, I'm still really new at it. One thing I know is that you can only shoot video using the live preview display on the LCD, you can't use the viewfinder. That's why a lot of people use those zacuto viewfinders that mount over the LCD, or they use 3" monitors via HDMI out.

I think the 7D may be able to do real time autofocus, I'm still trying to figure that part out. But yeah, as far as I can tell you can't use AI Servo in video mode with the 5D2...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #37
krnboy817
Major
krnboy817's Avatar
South Korea
13
Rep
1,012
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328i coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DFW texas

iTrader: (3)

olympus e 500

50mm f2
9-18mm wide angle f4.0
14-45mm f3.5
18-180mm f3.5-6.0
__________________

driving is poetry in motion.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #38
bpsu07
Major
bpsu07's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,006
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW TX

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to bpsu07
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
It's not the camera that matters, it's the photographer.
This..

Quote:
Originally Posted by B R A N D X® View Post
I kick it Old Skool (digital) with the latest and greatest (5 years ago).....the Nikon D2Xs. I did buy, and briefly own, a D3 (when they were first released) and then a D300 for a lightweight carry camera for a trip to Manhattan a few years ago, but I found I was just too comfortable with the files from the old Nikon sensor to relearn my entire Photoshop editing process.

The newer Nikon stuff is better....especially for clean, high iso shots in low light, but I guess I'm an old fuddy-duddy with my outdated body!

Now glass is another story; I gots all the best Nikon Glass. Unlike bodies/sensors, Fast Glass is never outdated. In fact, usually when it's "improved".....it's ruined......too much HD mentality today for my photographic tastes. Who wants to see blackheads in HD? That just means longer editing times!

I don't shoot cars much though.....mostly either:

Glamour for pay
Wow, very nice! I like the Glamour shots.


Canon 1D MarkII
  • 50mm f/1.8
  • 100mm f/2.8
  • 17-35mm f/2.8 [wide]
  • 28-135mm f/3.5
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #39
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
scollins's Avatar
No_Country
35
Rep
2,345
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Renton, WA

iTrader: (3)

Right now:
Nikon D3
Nikon D300 w/MB-D10 grip (well, until I sell it....)
Nikkor 17-35 f2.8 (might replace with the 14-24 f2.8...)
Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRI
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Nikon SB-600 (need to get an SB-900....)

I can say that my lousy pictures sure aren't the fault of my gear!
__________________
Scott
2010 E70 X5 35d
Alpine White on Black with Dark Bamboo trim
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #40
DenverJayhawk
Major
DenverJayhawk's Avatar
19
Rep
1,218
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Scollins - that's some serious gear. I just got a D7000 with the kit lens. Need to start accumulating the accessories...tripod, flash, telephoto, etc...
__________________

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #41
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
95
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

I installed the Magic Lantern firmware on my 5D2 which lets you do things like see your ISO/aperture/shutter settings on the live display while recording video. It also disables the automatic gain control for audio recording, adds zebra stripes to the live display, and lets you add crop marks to the live display to keep things framed properly if you plan on letterboxing the video later. There is also a feature that adds some limited autofocus during video recordin.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #42
johnnymu
Warranty Killer
johnnymu's Avatar
Taiwan
28
Rep
1,015
Posts

 
Drives: Nike shoe
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (4)

7d and 1ds mark iii
__________________
EUROPROJEKTZ Midwest Member
08 335i Jet Black | too much to name....

Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST