BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
bmstyle71
Captain

Drives: jet black e92 m3

lug nuts finally off :) now wheel wont come off.....wth

ok... i feel like a complete retard now that i cant get the wheel off...i used the advice of the breaker bar with a steel pipe and with much effort i got all 5 bolts off....jacked up the car....and the wheel is sitting there like the bolts are still on.....i pulled and pulled but the damn thing is not moving.....

wtf lol...i cant take a wheel off a car....thats embarrassing....lol help guys...am i missing something?
      12-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
bmstyle71
Captain

k nevermind i got pissed and beat the living shit out of the tire with a rubber mallet and it came off WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO never been so happy to take a wheel off a car lol thanks guys
      12-10-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
montreal red
chris

Drives: White Boat

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
ok before you put the wheel back on. make sure u clean up the hub to get rid of the rust. steel wool will work well and use some anti-seize on the hub surface so u wont have this issue with the wheel being stuck in the future.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
montreal red is offline   Canada
      12-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
bmstyle71
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
ok before you put the wheel back on. make sure u clean up the hub to get rid of the rust. steel wool will work well and use some anti-seize on the hub surface so u wont have this issue with the wheel being stuck in the future.
yeah good point...definitely gonna do that..the center hub was rusted
      12-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

For those thinking of powdercoating their wheels, you need to mask the hubcentric area where the wheel slides into the hub, or you'd have a heck of a time removing it. I didn't realize this until I installed my first PW wheel, and was thinking why the bolts were hard to drive in for so long. Then it dawned on me I was forcing the wheel in with the wrench. Yep, tried removing the wheel and didn't budge. Ended up using a long piece of 2x6 hitting the tire from the inside while rotating the wheel until I finally broke it loose. Scraped the powdercoating from the inside of the hubcentric 'ring' and problem solved. And yes, I sanded the crap out of the hub to remove all the rust (especially the rear wheels), and put a thin film of waterproof grease all over to avoid any more rust, and to prevent the wheel from seizing on the ring. Strange to have rust issues on a freaking $70K car. There's always a first time .
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      12-12-2010, 02:11 AM   #6
montreal red
chris

Drives: White Boat

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
For those thinking of powdercoating their wheels, you need to mask the hubcentric area where the wheel slides into the hub, or you'd have a heck of a time removing it. I didn't realize this until I installed my first PW wheel, and was thinking why the bolts were hard to drive in for so long. Then it dawned on me I was forcing the wheel in with the wrench. Yep, tried removing the wheel and didn't budge. Ended up using a long piece of 2x6 hitting the tire from the inside while rotating the wheel until I finally broke it loose. Scraped the powdercoating from the inside of the hubcentric 'ring' and problem solved. And yes, I sanded the crap out of the hub to remove all the rust (especially the rear wheels), and put a thin film of waterproof grease all over to avoid any more rust, and to prevent the wheel from seizing on the ring. Strange to have rust issues on a freaking $70K car. There's always a first time .
seems like almost all bmws have this rusty hub issue. i guess they just dont want to spend more money making the hub out of better materials. it doesnt affect the actual driveability of the car so i am not complaining.

i also had powdercoated wheels and i am aware of the wheel getting stuck on the hub due to the thickness of the powdercoated. i also sanded down the powdercoat in the hub ring area of the wheel. have the exact same problem as you.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
montreal red is offline   Canada
      12-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class

Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black

Give the tyre a bang of a lump hammer or a rubber mallet and it will drop off.