BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

GTB Performance

12-04-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
mdrobc13
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
CARBON FIBER STEERING WHEEL Faceplate Trim and M3 BODY PAINTED SIDE VENTS MOD

CARBON FIBER STEERING WHEEL Faceplate Trim and M3 BODY PAINTED SIDE VENTS MOD
Well here at the 2+ yr mark I have begun noting that the covering of my M3 e92 coupe's steering wheel has started to peel and look rather ratty. Of course thru no fault of my own! In any event I did find a solution at JLevi.com's sit earlier last month. Ordered this M3 Carbon Fiber steering wheel faceplate mod and today decided to try the install myself as a DIY. I was going to let the dealership do it when I took it in for its next service in which is due in about 1100 miles but figured why not. Besides I had custom painted side gills ordered too at the same time and decided to give those a go too.

Face Plate InstallFace plate was very well done and made. Fit was good and perfect.

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/M-Se...duct_info.html

Faceplat uses Three torx screws hold it on the wheel and it did take me about 20mins to figure out how to get the wheel off after undoing the 3 screws. The faceplate has 5 holes in it 2 on each side L & R and one at the 6 oclock position. 3 of these hold the Torx screws and 2 actually end up holding the multi-fxn controls on your wheel which is screwed to the face plate. Also they are wired together and into your steering console/column too (see pics). There are 2 hooks at the 9 oclock and 2 oclock positions which help attach the faceplate. At 1st I thought I would have to take the whole steering wheel off to do it and had a moment of dread until I looked at the new faceplate and found the hooks/tabs. (I'd acutally retightened the orignal screws!) I used a very small flat bladded screwdriver to put pressure on the tabs behind the wheel where they attach and pry back the rear fake leather cover of the wheel slowly a few milimeters. Once all three screws are free and tabs are free the faceplate easily comes off. Make note of how the wiring between the two control units goes and just reverse it by putting them back in the new faceplate and re-secure all torx screws and tighten into place and you're done!

Side Gills Installation
Well there have been many posts on this one. Believe me I searched them all! Most educational to me were the following:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3702978

The second video actually was the easiest for me and after trying the 1st one which looked the easiest for about 20 mins on the driver's side I tried again the pinch and push up method described in #2. Vent moved and poped and was out less than 1 min later. Disconnected plastic venting pieces and light (need a torx screw) and replaced in new painted vents. Easily done. NOTE I did not detach the light assemblies but let them hang free and held onto them for the most part while I disconnected them and then reattached them to the new vent assemblies. This is due to stories I heard of folks loosing wires inside the fenders and then having a painful time fishing them back out since they didn't secure them beforehand. So my advice keep a hand on them or tape them to the fender or tie a piece of string on them..whatever just keep track of them and you'll be fine.

Passenger side went as easy as the other using method #2. Only hard choice next was classice M3 decal with red/blue OEM style or black/gray/silver ones which also came with the kit (great job on that one JLevi) I chose the gray tricolor ones as it goes with the theme of my car and color (sparkling graphite) as well as I already did my rear M3 symbol in similar fashion. 1st impressions? Body color painted side vents while a little $$ look great and definately help finish out the car!

Next step CIC retrofit over the holidays! Can't wait for that one. Will definately post a review.

Happy holidays...Rob

PS pics below!
1. Wheel before pic (see damage and tearing at edges)
2. Old Wheel face plate
3. New Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Trim/plate
4. Steering plate Wheel removed
5. Steering plate wheel removed #2
6. Finished Carbon Fiber trim installed
7. Removed side vent (drivers side)
8. Installed new painted side Vent (driver's side)
9. Finished products/Car (needs a wash I know...that's tomorrow)
Attached Images

'14 F06 650xi Gran Coupe (Carbon Black)- Mine #1
'10 e70 X5M (Sapphire Black Mettalic) - Mine #2
'12 F10 550i (Dinan modded) - Gone
'10 e71 X6 35iDrive SAV (Space Gray) - Gone
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone

Last edited by mdrobc13; 12-04-2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: print
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Krozi
Colonel
United_States

Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Looking good man

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
xchosun1x
FNG
United_States

Drives: JZB 2008 E92 M3 DCT

nice mods...but better pics please! =)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello

Drives: 1999 528I

Garage List
looks good, what lip do you have?

EVOLVE E600 BMW E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 01:25 AM   #5
mdrobc13
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
looks good, what lip do you have?
AC style lip from JL Motoring.
Rear Type 2 diffuser from same.

Here's a better pic of the car and two pics of the lip (on a white M3).

Thanks.
Rob
Attached Images

'14 F06 650xi Gran Coupe (Carbon Black)- Mine #1
'10 e70 X5M (Sapphire Black Mettalic) - Mine #2
'12 F10 550i (Dinan modded) - Gone
'10 e71 X6 35iDrive SAV (Space Gray) - Gone
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
Appreciate 0