BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Lux Angel Eyes

12-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #23
PKL
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i

I'm moving to LA and I was set to order an S4 until someone told me why would I get a Quattro in Los Angeles, AND I drove the car.... man the steering feel is really bad. The car feels like a front wheel drive car all day. When I drove the S5, it felt slightly less so. Glad I can afford to make the slight jump up in price to the M3.
      12-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #24
vividracing
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 DCT

Send a message via AIM to vividracing
Very nice! Agree, that blue S4 does look good

Are we allowed to compliment Audis on an M3 forum?!

And great comparison from the OP, good job, thanks.

Graeme
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #25
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trism3 View Post
nice pick! I testdrove a brilliant red s4 before purchasing my first m3 in september. But the long list of accolades the M3 received finally became my last consideration. enjoy your ride!
i like it! audi seems to have their sh.. together i will consider audi for my net car
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #26
V1.47fan
Powered by Bacon
United_States
Rep

Drives: Bay M Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
I'm moving to LA and I was set to order an S4 until someone told me why would I get a Quattro in Los Angeles, AND I drove the car.... man the steering feel is really bad. The car feels like a front wheel drive car all day. When I drove the S5, it felt slightly less so. Glad I can afford to make the slight jump up in price to the M3.
Audi is slowly copying BMW dynamics too,they recently even changed the engine layout to a longitudially-mounted configuration, resulting in smaller front overhang and a more balanced car,set the quattro to have more rear wheel biased etc.
It's another Lexus,Infinity 3 series wannabe...that came out at the end of the current 3 series cycle. When BMW introduced I-drive,angel eyes a lot of people hated it,when copied by Audi after people started getting used to the new concepts...it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I like the BMW's interior better,the new 2012 A8 looks like a more cohesive interior from BMW. Even the seats look like they came straight from an M3, The door panel looks like it came from an e63,the wood+aluminum,navi pops out a la 1 series. The people at audi wouldn't be copying the current BMW's interior if it was ugly.
Attached Images

12-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #27
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

I find it interesting that you M3 guys are cross shopping the S4 which USED to be the direct competitor to the M3. Now, Audi is marketing the S4 against the 335i not the M3. I made the switch form an 07 E92 335i back in March and can say that I am extremely happy with my S4. But I was happy with my 335i as well. Here is the issue for me. A lightly loaded s4 can be had for about 50K. But you can add options to make it $60K car. But it will never handle as well as any M3. And a $60k M3 is also pretty lightly equipped. IMHO, S4 is a better daily driver than the M3 or 335i. Performance wise, it can keep up with the M3 below 100 mph. But on the track , the M3 has a big advantage because it was designed for the track.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #28
V1.47fan
Powered by Bacon
United_States
Rep

Drives: Bay M Vee

Take a 2007 X5's interior and put four rings on the steering wheel instead of the roundel and it becomes the best interior in the business.
Attached Images

12-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #29
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '11 Audi S4; '10 Mini Cooper S

Forgot to mention fuel economy! The S4 so far has been less efficient than advertised, but I have been killing the car since I finished the break-in period. The car does well on the freeway, but not as well as I expected. It does seem to be surprisingly good in streeet driving though, much better than the M3. A lot of the savings really seems to come from the laziness of the automatic settings with the S-Tronic. When driven hard, the car seems just as thirsty as the M3. Overall though, I am getting almost 5 miles per gallon more on average than I was with the M3 (15 v 19.5), so whatever the reason, the S4 uses less gas. I'm hoping once the S4 gets a bit more miles the consumption will improve further.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #30
ns2000x
Converted
Canada
Rep

Drives: '11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
Quote:
Audi is slowly copying BMW dynamics too,they recently even changed the engine layout to a longitudially-mounted configuration, resulting in smaller front overhang and a more balanced car,set the quattro to have more rear wheel biased etc.
It's another Lexus,Infinity 3 series wannabe...that came out at the end of the current 3 series cycle. When BMW introduced I-drive,angel eyes a lot of people hated it,when copied by Audi after people started getting used to the new concepts...it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I like the BMW's interior better,the new 2012 A8 looks like a more cohesive interior from BMW. Even the seats look like they came straight from an M3, The door panel looks like it came from an e63,the wood aluminum,navi pops out a la 1 series. The people at audi wouldn't be copying the current BMW's interior if it was ugly.
What are you smoking?
All torsen based Quattro's have been longitudinal from the get go.

The A8 has also had a pop up nav since the previous generation, pre-dating the 1 series.

Lastly Audi's don't use angel eyes.

I follow your opinion, and we each get our own, but you misrepresented facts.

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #31
jdgamble
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 & a badass Accord

Nice car(s)... I like the S4. I went with a low-option M3 instead of a loaded S4. Basically the same $ when factoring financing and service plan.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #32
cs135i
Comes to RWD from FWD, with a dream of AWD
Rep

Drives: AW 09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns2000x View Post
What are you smoking?
All torsen based Quattro's have been longitudinal from the get go.

The A8 has also had a pop up nav since the previous generation, pre-dating the 1 series.

I follow your opinion, and we each get our own, but you misrepresented facts.
↑ This.

To OP, very nice review and comparison. I would be seriously interested in the next gen M3 when it gets twin turbo. Or was it just rumor?

03-25-2010 7pm

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #33
cole328
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Unfortunately, the exterior of most all Audi's (except the R8) are so darn indistinguishable tho on the road.....boring to a point.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #34
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGP View Post
I find it interesting that you M3 guys are cross shopping the S4 which USED to be the direct competitor to the M3. Now, Audi is marketing the S4 against the 335i not the M3. I made the switch form an 07 E92 335i back in March and can say that I am extremely happy with my S4. But I was happy with my 335i as well. Here is the issue for me. A lightly loaded s4 can be had for about 50K. But you can add options to make it $60K car. But it will never handle as well as any M3. And a $60k M3 is also pretty lightly equipped. IMHO, S4 is a better daily driver than the M3 or 335i. Performance wise, it can keep up with the M3 below 100 mph. But on the track , the M3 has a big advantage because it was designed for the track.
im not considering audi replacing my M3 . nothing can do that. im considering it as a 2nd car.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #35
sor
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 E93 M3 MW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns2000x View Post

You don't think Audi's LED eyeliner design (as well as all of the other LED bars popping up on vehicles) wasn't inspired/pushed by BMW's angel eyes? Personally, I can completely see their engineers sitting down and saying "BMW has this cool detail in their headlights, what can we do to make our own daytime running lights cool without looking like copycats?"

Drove an S5, while it trumped my 335 in my opinion, and I loved the interior/feel, the M3's "rawness" gave me such an adrenaline rush that it surprised me, honestly. I had it in my head that I wanted the S5 and that I was just going on the M3 test drive because I had already made the commitment with the CA. Afterward, I was still considering an S5 however, until I saw the lease rates. The S5 would have been more to lease than the M3 worth 10k more, which pretty much sealed the deal.

As stated a million times over, everywhere, if you feel that there's a torque problem, or that the high end is wasted in city driving, you just need to change your habits and start using lower gears. The M3 has 25-50% more torque to wheels than 335 at any given speed if you're in the right gear. For example, someone in an S4/335 might be going 30 in second or third gear at 3300 or 2200 rpm respectively, floor it, and feel the rewarding torque launch them away. With the M3, you drop to 1st, chirp the tires, and blow the doors off. The other two cars are already out of their power band in 1st at that speed, while the M3 has RPMs/power to spare. It's just a different paradigm, however it's fair enough to say that sometimes people prefer easy torque over more torque. There's also the shorter final drive route if you want more wheel torque in the M3 without having to row gears, though it's also understandable that people don't want to do that.

In the end, if I could have both cars, I would ;-) I'm glad the lease rates were so good from bmwfs, because it made my decision super easy, however I'm a bit bummed that Audi can't get their asses in gear and be competitive on leasing for me; same thing happened last time when I opted for the 335. I like Audis, I'm confused as to why they're currently touting greatest resale value, yet their residuals were out of whack compared to BMW.

Last edited by sor; 12-05-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #36
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
Take a 2007 X5's interior and put four rings on the steering wheel instead of the roundel and it becomes the best interior in the business.
That interior looks ok, but it isn't very luxurious. The design is very simplistic and years behind many of the competitor offerings. The tactile feel of the materials is mediocre at best. The new Idrive is excellent, but BMW's aren't leading the industry with their interiors by any stretch of the imagination.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #37
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Drives: >1000 HP in my garage

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
That interior looks ok, but it isn't very luxurious. The design is very simplistic and years behind many of the competitor offerings. The tactile feel of the materials is mediocre at best. The new Idrive is excellent, but BMW's aren't leading the industry with their interiors by any stretch of the imagination.
Looks are subjective. Everyone says Audi interior is great and BMW interior is boring and dated. To me, lots of chrome and buttons doesn't make an interior better. I do like Audi's dual color leather and cross color stitching, but that's about the extent of it. I love the simplicity of BMW interiors. Instead of physical buttons everywhere, you get 10 user programable buttons that can control pretty much anything that's in iDrive and you can focus on driving. I love that BMW packs so much function into such a simple looking dash.

Last edited by radiantm3; 12-05-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #38
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
That actually doesn't make sense... The S5 does not come with the new Sport Differential plus the new S4 has the engine placed further back... The 2 combined make it feel more like a rear wheel drive WAY more than the S5.

As far as comparing both since I have both... I like the S4 as a daily driver but the M3 is by far a much better car and scissor like handling. The S4 has wayyyyy too much bodyroll in comparison to the M3.

If not comparing to the M3 I would have said its handling is amazing. The M3's handling is just THAT much better.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #39
nal13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 BMW 550 Xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms View Post
Forgot to mention fuel economy! The S4 so far has been less efficient than advertised, but I have been killing the car since I finished the break-in period. The car does well on the freeway, but not as well as I expected. It does seem to be surprisingly good in streeet driving though, much better than the M3. A lot of the savings really seems to come from the laziness of the automatic settings with the S-Tronic. When driven hard, the car seems just as thirsty as the M3. Overall though, I am getting almost 5 miles per gallon more on average than I was with the M3 (15 v 19.5), so whatever the reason, the S4 uses less gas. I'm hoping once the S4 gets a bit more miles the consumption will improve further.
Gas mileage will get better. I couldn't crack 19-20 MPG for the first 5K. Now I've been in the 22-24 range, and I drive hard. Slightly lower when in dynamic mode. On long higeway trips with a few bursts into the triple digitis I can average 25+
2010 Audi S4 Brilliant Black/ Black & Silver alcantara
2007 BMW e92/Space/Black/Alum/Nav/6MT (past)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #40
BKMK5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport

Does the farting sound out of the S4 annoy you guys as much as it did me? When I test drove the S4 a month ago, it was enjoyable and nicer than my 335i hands down but had a few gripes.

Shifting with the DSG tranny was smooth but heard a fart from the exhaust on every shift. Like the car needed to tell me it was powerful even though my as$ was pegged in the seat already. Same HP # as the G37x but tons more torque makes it a blast to drive over my wifes car(2010 G37x).

Servotronics or whatever Audi calls it at low speed was softer than a G37x making it easy but annoying to turn the wheel so many times to get into a parking spot.

Price also got me. I don't know about your local Audi dealers but mine wouldnt go lower than $54K on a nearly loaded premium s4 with dsg. When a fully loaded E90 M3(ZCP,ZCV,ZCW,ZP2,Moonroof,sat.,auto highs) with Euro delivery I'm getting for $61K and change.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #41
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Car is beautiful

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #42
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: C6 ZO6

really digging the interior
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #43
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

I was super close to getting a S4 before I got my M3.

I absolutely love the S4's two-tone seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #44
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
Nice car !
Whatever you drive-enjoy it !