BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
boarderman23
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

NY Is Costing Me Over Two Grand!!!

I just finished negotiating my deal from Rochester, NY and was about to make the purchase. When finishing up the details the dealer told me that NY doesn't allow MSDs to lower the money factor (they allow a max of $749)! In the end, because NY doesn't allow them, it would end up costing me a little over $2,200 over the course of my 36 month lease.

Now I have to decide if I should travel 6 hours to go out of state so I could use the MSDs (if that is even possible since I would be buying it out of NY - from what I've read it sounds like it does work even though it gets registered in NY).

So I was a little bummed out and now have to make the decision. My guess is that I wouldn't get as good of deal from NJ or CT, so it may be a bit less than 2k to make the trip, which is still a bit of money.

PS - For anyone not familiar with MSDs (as I wasn't until I started researching) - it stands for max security deposits. You can put down a total of 7 security deposits and each one lowers your money factor by .00007 or a total of .00049 (bring the current e93 lease rate from .00130 to .00081), which is where the savings of over $2,200 comes from.
boarderman23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
petesamprs
Lieutenant
 
petesamprs's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: northeast

Posts: 510
iTrader: (0)

You can buy from NJ or CT and still register in NY. This will allow you to do the MSDs. If you have the cash, MSDs are a no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderman23 View Post
I just finished negotiating my deal from Rochester, NY and was about to make the purchase. When finishing up the details the dealer told me that NY doesn't allow MSDs to lower the money factor (they allow a max of $749)! In the end, because NY doesn't allow them, it would end up costing me a little over $2,200 over the course of my 36 month lease.

Now I have to decide if I should travel 6 hours to go out of state so I could use the MSDs (if that is even possible since I would be buying it out of NY - from what I've read it sounds like it does work even though it gets registered in NY).

So I was a little bummed out and now have to make the decision. My guess is that I wouldn't get as good of deal from NJ or CT, so it may be a bit less than 2k to make the trip, which is still a bit of money.

PS - For anyone not familiar with MSDs (as I wasn't until I started researching) - it stands for max security deposits. You can put down a total of 7 security deposits and each one lowers your money factor by .00007 or a total of .00049 (bring the current e93 lease rate from .00130 to .00081), which is where the savings of over $2,200 comes from.
__________________
'08 M5

Retired:
'08 550i (ED)
'06 330i
petesamprs is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
M3 6MT
Get to the chopppper!
 
Drives: 2011.5 E93
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York City

Posts: 116
iTrader: (5)

To my understanding, leasing a car is based on your residence.
Multiple Security Deposits is not allowed for NY state. So if you get a car outside of NYS and still register the car in NYS, your MSD is void
M3 6MT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
boarderman23
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 6MT View Post
To my understanding, leasing a car is based on your residence.
Multiple Security Deposits is not allowed for NY state. So if you get a car outside of NYS and still register the car in NYS, your MSD is void
That's what I would have thought, but it appears that's not the case (just going by what others have said or have actually done themselves).
boarderman23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
bknight
Lieutenant
 
bknight's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Manhattan, NYC

Posts: 592
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
2008 E92 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesamprs View Post
You can buy from NJ or CT and still register in NY. This will allow you to do the MSDs. If you have the cash, MSDs are a no brainer.
Exactly right. I bought my car from Park Ave in NJ but I live in NYC. Because I bought it in NJ, I was able to put down the MSDs which made a very nice difference to the monthly payment - total no-brainer.
__________________
2010 E92 M3 || Akrapovic Slip-on | MS Air Filter | MS 15/12 Spacers | V1 Hardwire
bknight is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
jeffnnj
Second Lieutenant
 
jeffnnj's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E93 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NNJ, USA

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

We do MSDs for NY residents all the time. It's one of the ways we beat the NY dealers.
__________________
2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/Black Novillo Leather
2008 550i Sport, Platinum Gray/Natural Brown (retired)
2006 550i Silver Gray/Black (retired)
2002 M3 Convertible Titanium Silver/Black(retired)
1998 328i Convertible Arctic Silver/Gray(retired)
jeffnnj is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
M3 6MT
Get to the chopppper!
 
Drives: 2011.5 E93
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York City

Posts: 116
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderman23 View Post
That's what I would have thought, but it appears that's not the case (just going by what others have said or have actually done themselves).
Reading the other post...seems like other people, who resides in NYS have done it. Too bad we can't do the same with paying taxes on the car. (Get it at a different state and pay their sales tax)

G/L to you, hopefully you get the MSD done
M3 6MT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Raz335
Major
 
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: LI,NY

Posts: 1,100
iTrader: (2)

I'm about to do the same thing. I'm putting MSD's down by leasing through a NJ dealer and I'm registering the car in NY. Makes good sense to do MSD's.
__________________

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint

Last edited by Raz335; 12-03-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Raz335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST