BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Jason4486
First Lieutenant
Jason4486's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Miami, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Need help with paypal options!!!

I have put an item up for sale on this forum and recieved interest from someone with a very low post count. Having heard many horror stories about people getting ripped off when other forum members with very low post counts have disputed a paypal charge, I want to make sure that if this person does send me the money, it is done in a way that I can protect myself from fraud nd keep the money that is rightfully mine before I send the item and lose both the money and the item. Does this kinda stuff only happen when they pay with credit cards? Is there an option I can use or a setting that I can change to only accept a certain kind of payment? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
21
Rep
1,754
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

There is no way to protect yourself from paypal fraudulent claims, other than to only accept paypal from people you have reason to trust. Good feedbacks, personal knowledge, gut feelings, whatever. Paypal favors the buyer, so if somebody claims they didn't get your goods, they were trash, etc., Paypal will freeze your account until the dispute is resolved, at best.

This is why a lot of people only sell locally, for cash. OTOH, for the record, I've had many paypal payments over the years and never had a problem. But plenty of people have had them. Your mileage may vary.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Jason4486
First Lieutenant
Jason4486's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
376
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Miami, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
There is no way to protect yourself from paypal fraudulent claims, other than to only accept paypal from people you have reason to trust. Good feedbacks, personal knowledge, gut feelings, whatever. Paypal favors the buyer, so if somebody claims they didn't get your goods, they were trash, etc., Paypal will freeze your account until the dispute is resolved, at best.

This is why a lot of people only sell locally, for cash. OTOH, for the record, I've had many paypal payments over the years and never had a problem. But plenty of people have had them. Your mileage may vary.
Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm waiting for another buyer
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Express
Major General
Express's Avatar
Israel
129
Rep
8,701
Posts

 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Promise Land

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
if you aren't familiar with online selling, don't participate in it.

also, your post count is 0. why should anyone trust you?


didn't mean to come off the wrong way, but thats the reality of it..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
vasillalov's Avatar
Bulgaria
84
Rep
4,195
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
also, your post count is 0. why should anyone trust you?

Because everyone starts at zero! If noone trusts people with zero feedback, then noone will ever get above zero!
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine | StopTech
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
matrix76
Major
matrix76's Avatar
Canada
21
Rep
1,300
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i xDrive Ex/Ps
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The West Coast, BC

iTrader: (1)

I don't know what everyones concern is with PayPal, I have been using it for years and if a problem comes up I just file a claim and get my money back. Never had a problem with it. You have "Buyer Protection" with PayPal, just do not send money as a gift. If you have any questions call PayPal 1-888-221-1161 and they'll explain it all to you.
__________________
Brian
Black Sapphire, Black w/Burrwood Trim & Shifter, 162's, Mtec H8 AE's, DS1 HID 6000K

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
21
Rep
1,754
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
I don't know what everyones concern is with PayPal, I have been using it for years and if a problem comes up I just file a claim and get my money back. Never had a problem with it. You have "Buyer Protection" with PayPal, just do not send money as a gift. If you have any questions call PayPal 1-888-221-1161 and they'll explain it all to you.
That's it, in a nutshell! As a buyer, paypal is great. For sellers, not so much...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
matrix76
Major
matrix76's Avatar
Canada
21
Rep
1,300
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i xDrive Ex/Ps
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The West Coast, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
That's it, in a nutshell! As a buyer, paypal is great. For sellers, not so much...
As long as you provide tracking information you have nothing to worry about because that is all PayPal will ask for. If the buyer is NOT happy with what you sent them they have to return it to you and provide a tracking number or they will not get a refund. As a seller you can send an PayPal invoice to him/her stating " No refunds offered on this sale" and then he/her accepts the terms and conditions of the sale once they send the money to you.
__________________
Brian
Black Sapphire, Black w/Burrwood Trim & Shifter, 162's, Mtec H8 AE's, DS1 HID 6000K

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
21
Rep
1,754
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Matrix --

Obviously, you have not read the many horror stories about Paypal account freezes and ripoffs by buyers. If all goes according to plan, it's not a problem. If not...

I know an online gem dealer who stopped taking Paypal completely after it happened to him several times. I've never had a problem myself, as I stated before, but it DOES happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #10
matrix76
Major
matrix76's Avatar
Canada
21
Rep
1,300
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i xDrive Ex/Ps
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The West Coast, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Matrix --

Obviously, you have not read the many horror stories about Paypal account freezes and ripoffs by buyers. If all goes according to plan, it's not a problem. If not...

I know an online gem dealer who stopped taking Paypal completely after it happened to him several times. I've never had a problem myself, as I stated before, but it DOES happen.
I have been a seller and buyer on ebay, and forums, for years and I have never had a problem that was not resolved via PayPal. Like I said, if tracking information is provide PayPal will follow the paper trail. If a seller receives a return item in not "as shipped" condition the seller can file a counter claim to recover the value of the original item. Failing to take the appropriate PayPal steps will result in problems. Like I said, in over 15 years I have never lost a cent and have filed over 60 claims against buyers & sellers via PayPal.
__________________
Brian
Black Sapphire, Black w/Burrwood Trim & Shifter, 162's, Mtec H8 AE's, DS1 HID 6000K


Last edited by matrix76; 12-03-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST