BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
boarderman23
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

About To Place Order

I've decided to pull the trigger on a 2011 M3 Convertible. What do you think about the following color combination?

Le Mans Blue
Fox Red Leather

I've seen some pictures and know it's a little different...but I like it. I'd usually go with beige, but I want to try something different this time.

Also, they didn't have a new M3 in stock, so I had to test drive a 2008 coupe 6-speed (I'm planning on the DCT). That was a really good manual though, and made me second guess the DCT...

Thanks for any input!
boarderman23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
J BONE
The Boss
 
J BONE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2011 E90 335
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,843
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [4.00]
It's a different color combo but that is what makes it unique. Just got mine a few days ago so still learning the MDCT but it is nice! The car is amazing. Can't wait to get over 1200 miles
J BONE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
J BONE
The Boss
 
J BONE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2011 E90 335
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,843
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [4.00]
Congrats BTW!!
J BONE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
boarderman23
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Thanks...I'll probably place later this week (assuming I can decide on the colors).

I know you've only had the DCT a few days, but what are your thoughts so far?
boarderman23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
J BONE
The Boss
 
J BONE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2011 E90 335
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,843
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderman23 View Post
Thanks...I'll probably place later this week (as soon as I can decide on the colors).
Haha. That was the hardest part for me by far. Ending up going with what was safe. I'm too conservative! Best of luck
J BONE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
boarderman23
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J BONE View Post
Haha. That was the hardest part for me by far. Ending up going with what was safe. I'm too conservative! Best of luck
Haha, for some reason I don't feel like being conservative with this (plus it's a lease so I don't have to worry about re-sale).

What color combo did you go with?
boarderman23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
M3maniac20
Captain
 
M3maniac20's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, Texas

Posts: 650
iTrader: (0)

If you don't do red...then do black. My opinion, but I can't stand tan leather...all I can think about is the dirt and marks it will show no matter how hard you clean it.
And remember to have your trim color according to your leather color. If you do red leather, don't to the brushed aluminum because then you have too much going on in there, but if you go with black, get the brushed aluminum. Sorry...I'm so OCD
__________________
2011.5 M3 Coupe ZCP
M3maniac20 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
jmrinvt
Cruisin'
 
jmrinvt's Avatar
 
Drives: On Order: 2011 E90 - Le Mans
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vermont

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to jmrinvt
I agree with the previous poster. If the choice for interior is red or beige... go red!

I went with black, but my second choice would have been red.
__________________
- Justin
2011 e90 ///M3 Le Mans Blue
jmrinvt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
boarderman23
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3maniac20 View Post
And remember to have your trim color according to your leather color. If you do red leather, don't to the brushed aluminum because then you have too much going on in there, but if you go with black, get the brushed aluminum. Sorry...I'm so OCD
I was actually thinking of the brushed aluminum, but I'll have too look at pictures since you feel it's too much. What would you go with in this case, the carbon?
boarderman23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
boarderman23
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Forgot to mention, that I'm just going with the regular leather package, not the extended...which I why I was considering the aluminum (since it would be black all around that area).
boarderman23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #11
J BONE
The Boss
 
J BONE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2011 E90 335
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,843
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderman23 View Post
Haha, for some reason I don't feel like being conservative with this (plus it's a lease so I don't have to worry about re-sale).

What color combo did you go with?
Went with Jerez and black interior. Thought about every color combo out there but went with what I knew I would like. Got nervous about seeing red interior everyday. I love it, don't get me wrong but wasn't sure if it was for me. Then the red/black interior came out and all hell broke loose! The dealer ended up with a car that had jerez/black so my decision was made.
J BONE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #12
J BONE
The Boss
 
J BONE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2011 E90 335
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,843
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderman23 View Post
Forgot to mention, that I'm just going with the regular leather package, not the extended...which I why I was considering the aluminum (since it would be black all around that area).
I personally think extended red is too much. But that is me. I tend to be fairly conservative.

Carbon would look really nice IMO
J BONE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
llis
octane chick
 
llis's Avatar
 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

Posts: 1,122
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Having experienced brushed aluminum in a convertible, I can say unequivocally that it's a bad choice. All it takes is driving in a direction where the sun is reflected back into your face to make you realize that shiny things are not what you want on your dash.
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
J BONE
The Boss
 
J BONE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2011 E90 335
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,843
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
Having experienced brushed aluminum in a convertible, I can say unequivocally that it's a bad choice. All it takes is driving in a direction where the sun is reflected back into your face to make you realize that shiny things are not what you want on your dash.
Wonder if the M aluminum with the blue-gray brushed would make any difference? I can def see that being annoying though
J BONE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #15
ES_TRADER
Colonel
 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 2,464
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor (o ...  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
U better do it fast! Sooner u do it the less days u have to wait . Hurry hurry
ES_TRADER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2010, 12:53 AM   #16
Echo M3
Major
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderman23 View Post
I've decided to pull the trigger on a 2011 M3 Convertible. What do you think about the following color combination?

Le Mans Blue
Fox Red Leather

I've seen some pictures and know it's a little different...but I like it. I'd usually go with beige, but I want to try something different this time.

Also, they didn't have a new M3 in stock, so I had to test drive a 2008 coupe 6-speed (I'm planning on the DCT). That was a really good manual though, and made me second guess the DCT...

Thanks for any input!
I saw an E90 M3 with this combo in the flesh (almost picked it up, but I wanted a DCT and it was an MT). I thought it was absolutely gorgeous, but realize that it's not appealing to many people, and it will make resale more challenging. If you're not too concerned about that, then go for it without any concerns.

Also, I think interlagos blue matches with fox red better - but that's my opinion.
Echo M3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
boarderman23
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I saw an E90 M3 with this combo in the flesh (almost picked it up, but I wanted a DCT and it was an MT). I thought it was absolutely gorgeous, but realize that it's not appealing to many people, and it will make resale more challenging. If you're not too concerned about that, then go for it without any concerns.

Also, I think interlagos blue matches with fox red better - but that's my opinion.
Thanks, that makes me feel a little better about the rare combo lol...I'll have to look at some pictures of the interlagos blue and see if I like it better.
boarderman23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #18
boarderman23
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Thanks everyone for all the input and help. Here is what I what I'm leaning toward now:

Le Mans Blue
Fox Red (not extended)
Carbon Leather Trim

There is one other option I'm not sure about...to get the enhanced premium sound or not. I'm sure I could search and find a lot on the topic, but if anyone has input on that I would appreciate it.

I listen to a bit of music, but I don't play it too loud and I'm not looking for crazy bass or anything like that. Basically, if I could still hear the audio cranked up at highway speeds with the top down I'd be happy. I have no idea how the system compares, but I have the standard speakers on my 09 z4 and that sounds just fine to me.
boarderman23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: IB/PS M-DCT E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,465
iTrader: (1)

After two-plus years of ownership with my current E93 M3, and over five years of ownership with an E46 M3 convertible with aluminum trim, I have never had this problem. I'm sure it happens in some convertibles but I've not experienced it in mine. Maybe its the type of finish on the trim, or maybe its the angle it is placed at, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Just my 2 cents though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
Having experienced brushed aluminum in a convertible, I can say unequivocally that it's a bad choice. All it takes is driving in a direction where the sun is reflected back into your face to make you realize that shiny things are not what you want on your dash.
__________________
2008 Interlagos Blue E93 M3 - M-DCT
2011 Salsa Red Jetta TDI Sportwagen - DSG
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #20
boarderman23
Private
 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

I may place the order tomorrow, if I can finalize the deal and decide on my leather.

My big question is...extended fox red or standard? I've researched a bit and have looked at a lot of pictures and I almost think I like it without the extended...but would like leather in that area. Any input would be great (and please base your decision as if they were the same price).
boarderman23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #21
M3maniac20
Captain
 
M3maniac20's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, Texas

Posts: 650
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderman23 View Post
I was actually thinking of the brushed aluminum, but I'll have too look at pictures since you feel it's too much. What would you go with in this case, the carbon?
Yeah, stick with Carbon if you do red!
__________________
2011.5 M3 Coupe ZCP
M3maniac20 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #22
M3maniac20
Captain
 
M3maniac20's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Austin, Texas

Posts: 650
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderman23 View Post
I may place the order tomorrow, if I can finalize the deal and decide on my leather.

My big question is...extended fox red or standard? I've researched a bit and have looked at a lot of pictures and I almost think I like it without the extended...but would like leather in that area. Any input would be great (and please base your decision as if they were the same price).
With red, stick with regular leather. As you have probably seen in photos-when you get the extended, the red is everything under the trim on the bottom of the dashboard area, and with regular leather its black.
__________________
2011.5 M3 Coupe ZCP
M3maniac20 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST